Open Mike - Dermot Brereton

Remove this Banner Ad

I read this post in the voice and style of Dermott Brereton and it made perfect sense . You’re not Dermir are you?

He was a big supporter of Sinn Fein/IRA back in the day, but so were half of the ALP. Gave generously to the cause of Irish freedom.
What's wrong with Sinn Fein? England stole a part of Ireland and treated the Irish like second class citizens.

What's wrong with Sinn Fein? England stole a part of Ireland and treated the Irish like second class citizens.

This a debate for elsewhere. Unlike you I can’t distill hundreds of years of Irish history into a paragraph. Let’s just say there are differing viewpoints on the matter.

I never venture to the SRP forum but happy to talk there

This a debate for elsewhere. Unlike you I can’t distill hundreds of years of Irish history into a paragraph. Let’s just say there are differing viewpoints on the matter.

I never venture to the SRP forum but happy to talk there
It's not a debate, they are a legitimate political party currently in power .

That's all Dougie Hawkins is. A story teller. Never heard a bloke talk so much s*t in my life when I saw him at a speaker event. Hours later when he was ****** s**t faced off the sports clubs free piss after they paid him a fortune openly admitted half his stories were absolute garbage.

* Doug Hawkins

If you hire Hawkins for a speaker event i'm not sure what you are expecting

An entertaining and knowledgable commentator.
Spock Encerio GIF

footballers so iconic that something is named after them in popular culture "taking a Capper"
Aside from Warwick pumping himself up like a inflatable clown, nobody actually says "taking a Capper" :thumbsdown:
Nobody ever said it, even back when he took speckies, hangers and screamers every weekend.

Aside from Warwick pumping himself up like a inflatable clown, nobody actually says "taking a Capper" :thumbsdown:
Nobody ever said it, even back when he took speckies, hangers and screamers every weekend.

Mate, they said it in the school yard. My mates and I would play kick to kick at recess and lunch and it was commonplace.

You're right nobody ever said it, I made it up for this thread... or perhaps you just weren't aware of popular culture at the time.

Mate, they said it in the school yard. My mates and I would play kick to kick at recess and lunch and it was commonplace.

This was my experience too, was exceptionally common place, even in the late 90's I can remember kids who would never have seen Capper play, that called taking speccies/marks "Cappers"

I grew up in a state that didn’t follow footy and even at a time when he was retired people in the schoolyard called them that

I know someone who worked VERY closely with him at one of his AFL clubs. Said he had never - before or since - met someone in footy that could be so destructive toward players when he wanted to. Even allowing for the supposed "back in the day, players were tougher" stuff, some of his alleged behaviour wouldn't come close to flying in any era.
If this is true, then it seems he learned a different lesson from the Graeme Richmond era than Balmey did. You read Balme's bio and his whole career post footy has been informed as a reaction AGAINST the ruthlessness of Graeme Richmond. Maybe Sheeds inherited a bit of the Graeme Richmond bastardry. It would certain explain his being a crazy wrecking ball at Essendon in the last year. Reminds me of when Graeme Richmond went mad in the 1980s and nearly wrecked the Tigers.

a lot of those Carlton players were according to McClure,strange thing is ive hardly heard Glasscotts name ever mentioned in those discussions with McClure,sure it aint sumthin else ? ive also watched a few Carlton re unions on YT in passing & its always the same 5-6 scoundrels who get up n reveal
the shenanigans they were up to back in the day and its never Glasscott or his name mentioned,its always Perra,Marcou,Johnston,Buckley,Sheldon,McClure Jones,etc

I think it's taking the piss, Glascott was the one that used to dob the rest of them in for being out on the piss before important games, including gf's.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If this is true, then it seems he learned a different lesson from the Graeme Richmond era than Balmey did. You read Balme's bio and his whole career post footy has been informed as a reaction AGAINST the ruthlessness of Graeme Richmond. Maybe Sheeds inherited a bit of the Graeme Richmond bastardry. It would certain explain his being a crazy wrecking ball at Essendon in the last year. Reminds me of when Graeme Richmond went mad in the 1980s and nearly wrecked the Tigers.
Yep, I heard Neil interviewed a couple of years back and he was asked what he learnt from that GR era and the interviewer was expecting a thorough endorsement of the bloke and his tactics. Instead Balme answered that he learnt a lot about how NOT to treat people and run a club. Basically when in a quandary he would wonder "What would GR do?," and then do the opposite.

Advice one Essendon immortal may wish to ponder...

Sorry - to be clear here, I am referring to Eade, not Sheedy.

at school in the 80s in SA I would hear it pretty often, kids randomly yelling out "Capper!" when trying to take a mark on someone's head during kick to kick

I read this post in the voice and style of Dermott Brereton and it made perfect sense . You’re not Dermir are you?

He was a big supporter of Sinn Fein/IRA back in the day, but so were half of the ALP. Gave generously to the cause of Irish freedom.
Wow, didn't know Dermott was so based.

Remove this Banner Ad

Open Mike - Dermot Brereton

Remove this Banner Ad

Back