FTA-TV Open Mike

Remove this Banner Ad

I enjoyed the 70 year old show. Had no idea we offered to pay Newman to stay out for a year, I knew we wanted him but not the staying out for a year part. Newman training with Hawthorn was something I didn't know either. Could do without the cut aways to the kitchen though.

I enjoyed the 70 year old show. Had no idea we offered to pay Newman to stay out for a year, I knew we wanted him but not the staying out for a year part. Newman training with Hawthorn was something I didn't know either. Could do without the cut aways to the kitchen though.
Yeah, those were bizarre.

All I can imagine is that one of the interviewees has some stake in that restaurant and these cutaways were for promotional purposes, included as a condition of doing the show. Makes no sense at all otherwise.

I think Mike would like to redo this three way conversation over lunch. I realise that time contraints will have undoubtedly meant a lot of stuff was left out of the program but I couldn't believe how many interesting topics were not aired. Barry Richardsons time as coach at Punt Rd was barely mentioned which I found astonishing given the fact that he replaced Tom Hafey in a tumultuous period at Tigerland. He was also a key driver in the Irish experiment at Melbourne under Barrassi which saw the recruitment of Blokes like Jimmy Stynes and Sean Wight. Hudson was similarly under-utilised. When the boys were discussing how much elite footy has changed from their day it would have been good to hear about Huddos one year comeback season in 1977. After four seasons out of the game he was lured back, overweight and unwilling to move to Melbourne for one more go around. As a fly in Friday night, fly home Saturday night full forward, the great one still managed to boot 110 goals! I realise he covered this a bit in his other Open Mike appearance but given what an astonishing feat it was I would have thought it was worth another look in this discussion. As for Sam, as usual he offers very little other than some prehistoric muttering about Bobby Davis and Polly Farmer. Despite the fact he has little interest in footy, dislikes it in fact, he continues to make a living from his involvement in it. He has long been the most boring figure in the AFL media environment and Mikes decision to have him on this program is one he was clearly regretting during it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I keep thinking that this show is still on Monday nights and the vids are available on Tuesday...

One guest I'm surprised he hasn't interviewed yet is Matty Lloyd, best goal kicker of our time.
Mightn't want to do it since he only released a book a couple of years back.

Nice apology from Sam. "If you quit your job because of that then you are weak."

Remove this Banner Ad

FTA-TV Open Mike

Remove this Banner Ad

Back