FTA-TV Open Mike

Remove this Banner Ad

Was always someone who defended Suma as a player when Eagles fans constantly bitched about him. Some of it was because he was from an ethnic background it had to be said.

Was always someone who defended Suma as a player when Eagles fans constantly bitched about him. Some of it was because he was from an ethnic background it had to be said.

Never even thought about that until you just mentioned it.

4 time premiership player also....Did his knee in the first 5 minutes of the 1983 grand Final....Came back & kicked 4 goals in the 1986 & 1989 premiership sides. Important player in both those wins.

Took some of the most incredible pack marks I've ever seen in the 1985 Reserves Grand Final...Think he kicked 8 that day to get us over the line in the last quarter....Boy did we make some selection blunders on the big day that year.

Hawthorn head recruiter too, prior to Wrighty....Responsible for us picking up Buddy.

We had an option on him for a further year & decided to trigger it, which was then ratified in court as binding....Stayed with us till the end of his playing career thereafter.
That '85 reserves team would have to have been the greatest reserves premiership teams in league history at a guess.
I was at the game and all the stars were turning in it on. Bucks,knights,Eade,Robertson,Byrne,I think Malaxos for some reason also,I'm sure there were others. That was a very good game of football indeed.

Bucky was a good episode.

Forgot the stint he had with the Swans as coach, I'm now tempted to dig out SwanSong by Paul Kelly to read what he had to say about him.

Seemed to have a bit of a chip on his shoulder too, but his personality seemed to be either you won it all or nothing.

Probably what made him such a great footballer.
Apparently was good enough to have played state cricket and is a West Perth Supporter.

I knew I liked him for a reason.

You probably felt obliged to defend him because he played some of his best football against Geelong.

Sumich's critics were likely more animated by his inaccuracy than his ethnicity.

Or did WC supporters also dislike Glen Jakovich for the same reason?

I remember plenty calling him a wog and generally having a go about the fact his family were market gardeners. His off kilter kicking style only exacerbated it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sumich what a clown. Gets in a wrestle with dogs players then a first gamer grabs him and he has a sook

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
First gamer has nothing to do with it. Southern the "tough guy" had Sumich in a headlock to the point where he blacked out. Nothing tough about that.

Mike never deviated from always asking how much a player was paid to move clubs. Randtell was another episode of forensic accounting from Mike.

Fair enough on that score too.....Rantall was one of the very first players to move on the10 year rule.....Fees in that context are pretty well at the fore-front of discussion.

That rule alone, scored North it's first 2 flags.

Fair enough on that score too.....Rantall was one of the very first players to move on the10 year rule.....Fees in that context are pretty well at the fore-front of discussion.

That rule alone, scored North it's first 2 flags.
North did well getting Doug Wade as well. After they won the flags they closed that rule off.

North did well getting Doug Wade as well. After they won the flags they closed that rule off.

Barry Davis from Essendon & Brent Crosswell from Carlton also.....Davis was a 3 time best & fairest winner & club captain from Essendon, who went on to captain North's first flag....Crosswell was a 2x premiership player with the Blues....Wade was a centurian goal-kicker from Geelong, whom he captained, won a B & F & a premiership with.....Rantall was a great defender & former South captain.

So in effect, North scored 4 gun 10 year players, & leaders in their own right, itching for a crack at another premiership.

Barry Davis from Essendon & Brent Crosswell from Carlton also.....Davis was a 3 time best & fairest winner & club captain from Essendon, who went on to captain North's first flag....Crosswell was a 2x premiership player with the Blues....Wade was a centurian goal-kicker from Geelong, whom he captained, won a B & F & a premiership with.....Rantall was a great defender & former South captain.

So in effect, North scored 4 gun 10 year players, & leaders in their own right, itching for a crack at another premiership.

Crosswell didn't go to North under the 10 year rule and none of the other 3 played in 77 fwiw.

Remove this Banner Ad

FTA-TV Open Mike

Remove this Banner Ad

Back