FTA-TV Open Mike

Remove this Banner Ad

I didn't mind it. Hutchy was better than I anticipated.
Wasn't as arrogant as he is on footy classifieds, and has made a bloody good career for himself
he is playing a character on FC.

If you listen to him on a Sat morning he seems like a decent bloke.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I thought it was the strongest Open Mike in ages.

Mike Sheahan lifted his game for someone with whom he has clearly had a difficult relationship - and there's a lot of professional pride in being able to make a fellow scribe squirm. Open Mike thrives when the guests are opinionated and don't get on with the host.

I find Hutchy, Eddie and some of the other self-made and self-directed media moguls really interesting. I don't necessarily like them, but they have great back stories and strong opinions.

I thought it was the strongest Open Mike in ages.

Mike Sheahan lifted his game for someone with whom he has clearly had a difficult relationship - and there's a lot of professional pride in being able to make a fellow scribe squirm. Open Mike thrives when the guests are opinionated and don't get on with the host.

I find Hutchy, Eddie and some of the other self-made and self-directed media moguls really interesting. I don't necessarily like them, but they have great back stories and strong opinions.
they have a difficult relationship?

It was ok.
When talking about Ben Cousins, would have been a good opportunity to discuss more about whats fair game for media in the modern age?
How much privacy or lack thereof are players allowed?
If a player goes out and is photogaphed by someone with a smartphone, is that news?

Apart from that, Mike should have used it as a chance to talk more about the role of journalism today. Online vs print.
How having to report every day and nothing to write about creates these ridiculous news cycles ie Melbourne are great, Melbourne are not so great, St Kilda suck, Gold Coast Suck, St Kilda suck some more, Clarko had coffee, etc

10 minutes on him firing some guys? Who cares.

It was ok.
When talking about Ben Cousins, would have been a good opportunity to discuss more about whats fair game for media in the modern age?
If a player goes out and is photogaphed by someone with a smartphone, is that news?

Apart from that, Mike should have used it as a chance to talk more about the role of journalism today. Online vs print.
How having to report every day and nothing to write about creates these ridiculous news cycles ie Melbourne are great, Melbourne are not so great, St Kilda suck, Gold Coast Suck, St Kilda suck some more, Clarko had coffee, etc

Also maybe touch on the politics in the media.
Are journalists guilty of not declaring their conflicts when it influences their work?

It was ok.

I wish some of these interviews were that in-depth, they're just glorified Wikipedia articles at this point.

It was ok.

10 mins on firing some guys? For starters it was about 4 mins and when one is the chief football writter and the other was a good mate who was potentially suing him for a million dollars, thats a decent story.

Much more of a story that questioning him on his opinions of ethics in the media

I stopped watching Open Mike some time ago, but glad I stayed subscribed to this thread so that I didn't miss out on the Hutchy interview (thanks for the vid 00Stinger ).

Refreshingly honest/candid (and somewhat cathartic?) from Hutchy.

Still felt though that a Sheahan interview is almost like a survey, going down a list of questions, whereas the best practitioners turn it into a conversation.
At the end I had a more rounded opinion of Hutchy, but just feel he had more to give, but time and Sheahan's lack of craft left much on the table.

Still felt though that a Sheahan interview is almost like a survey, going down a list of questions, whereas the best practitioners turn it into a conversation.
At the end I had a more rounded opinion of Hutchy, but just feel he had more to give, but time and Sheahan's lack of craft left much on the table.
I am the same. I would not have looked at it but thanks to 00Stinger I did. Your last paragraph is spot on. So many paths to head down.

Hutchy all but admitted he paid money and Mike ignored the lie to get to the next agenda item. I thought more on the personal price he has paid might have made Hutchy more rounded as a person. You see a glimpse when he talks about his gf and seeing her son play football as the one time he feels normal. More of that please

(Log in to remove this ad.)

10 mins on firing some guys? For starters it was about 4 mins and when one is the chief football writter and the other was a good mate who was potentially suing him for a million dollars, thats a decent story.

Much more of a story that questioning him on his opinions of ethics in the media

Couldn't agree less.

The coverage of AFL in Melbourne is insane and that's driven by the media.
So it is a unique situation to ask someone who's been behind some of it about it.

It was alluded to early on without being specified - but it appeared there was discomfort on both sides as to whether Mike helped Hutchy out during his cadetship.
I got the feeling and all mine no knowledge that Hutchy felt Mike was a dinosaur and brushed him on his way to the top at 20 years of age

Mike just said on SEN that open mike has been put on the shelve for 8 weeks to make way for Bob Murphy’s show.
also said he reckons this years episodes were his best. Deluded

Remove this Banner Ad

FTA-TV Open Mike

Remove this Banner Ad

Back