FTA-TV Open Mike

Remove this Banner Ad

If you actually look at the list of people he interviewed recently, half of them wouldn't get on the show in 20 years. ie: Jake King or Brent Guerra. Not good enough players. That tells you why their interviews were always going to suck anyway.

It is always a more interesting interview when they have a story to tell e.g. a tragedy in their life, some controversy, some major thing they were remembered for.

I watched an "Open Mike" with Jason McCartney, and while he had a moderate career, the Bali Bombing, him coming back and playing that game etc, made the episode compelling viewing, as well as him missing the 2006 flag because he got rubbed out.

Will there be any questions Mike asks that aren't about money?
i know he asks him about lost friendships due to sacking made @ SEN

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Hutchy will be a good episode. He's been around a long time and is relevant. The Hannah one will be no good. It'll get some views though. She hasn't even played a single AFLW game and will she even get picked up in this years draft anyway.

I watched the Hannah one tonight as it was on while I was researching flights on my laptop.
I think she came across very well. Certainly very articulate.
Mike tried to ask the hard questions and did to a point, but then backed right off when Hannah was fairly noncommittal on some answers. It's Mike's job as the interviewer to get her to open up more.
Whether it was worthy of a spot on Open Mike, probably not.
Was more interesting than most of his recent interviews, but then the subject matter was the interesting aspect, not Mike's interviewing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It just amazes me that a 6'3" bloke who represented Australia at the Olympics can 'identify' as a lesbian and play women's footy without having had a sex change operation. Living the dream!

Mike never was much good with the follow up questions... When she said her genitalia was irrelevant until the moment she was about to have sex, Mike should've asked what was her favourite position.

Last edited:
Do you know that Sydney Swan Oliver Florent won the Rising Star Nom this week?

What does this have to do with the subject. Well, Mike had as subjects on his show last year- DRUMROLL PLEASE- Oliver Florent AND his mother.

I thought that you had to be retired, and have actually had a long career to talk about, yet Florent at that stage had played five games, and his mother hadn't played any, so I don't know why they were guests on "Open Mike".

It must be the only time in AFL history that a footballer has been a subject of "Open Mike" BEFORE winning a Rising Star Nomination.

That was the moment it jumped the shark for me.

I watched the Hannah one tonight as it was on while I was researching flights on my laptop.
Mike tried to ask the hard questions and did to a point, but then backed right off when Hannah was fairly noncommittal on some answers. It's Mike's job as the interviewer to get her to open up more.
Was more interesting than most of his recent interviews, but then the subject matter was the interesting aspect, not Mike's interviewing.
My name is Kirsti Miller formerly Warren Miller I have grave concerns with the current transgender sports participation guidelines in particular with the guidelines in high impact sports such as AFL Football.

I am a former duel international male athlete having represented Australia at many world championships and Pan American Games in the sports of Modern Pentathlon and Aquathon. I am also a former first grade rugby league player with Wagga Brothers, I was an inaugural inductee in the Wagga Wagga Sporting Hall Of Fame I was the only inductee inducted for multiple sports being swimming, Modern Pentathlon and Aquathon. I was inducted alongside other Australian Sports Legends such as Mortimer, Sterling, Arthur Summons, Wayne Carey, Paul Kelly, Mark Taylor and Michael Slater.

In 2013 I became the first fully transitioned woman to play women’s AFL Football at any level in Australia out here in Broken Hill. I commenced my transition back in the year 2000 at the time I was the local Governor of the Broken Hill Correctional Centre. I underwent gender surgery in 2006 also having my birth certificate amended to female in 2006.

There has been a lot of controversy with transgender participation in sports in recent times in particular with the stories of Laurel Hubbard the Nz transitioned weightlifter and also Hannah Mouncey the former male international handball player and women’s Aussie Rules Football Player.

There has also been much misinformed information reported in recent times from both the media and also by Hannah Mouncey herself, these people are deers in the headlights in this conversation.

I am a long time transgender sports advocate and educator in diversity and inclusion in sports. I am heavily involved in global discussions and also discussions within Australia re developing an updated trans sports participation guidelines.

Not many people are aware that the new IOC Guidelines that were released prior to the Rio Olympics were developed in 1/2 a day by 90 sports officials without science. These policies were developed as a hip response to lesson liability in the divisional court in Toronto Canada in the human rights case of Canadian Transitioned Female Cyclist Kristen Worley’s historic human rights victory.

The current IOC policy removed the the requirement of trans females having to have had gender surgery as a prerequisite to compete and they also introduced a policy of trans women having to have a level of endogenous testosterone Of below 10nmols per litre of blood at least 12 months prior to there first competition in the female category.
The advantage with this new policy has without doubt tipped the advantage in the favour of transgender athletes and in high impact sports it has cause a definite health and safety risk to biologically born females.

What concerns me is that our competitors are being harshly criticised for objecting to this new policy or even for having their concerns voiced political correctness is rife in this conversation unfortunately.There are many factors other then increased testosterone levels that significantly affect the competitive edge in sport such as nutrition,age,height, weight,access to coaching and training facilities, & other genetic and biological variations like oxygen-carrying capacity.

For a person transitioning from XY male to XY female we need to be able to show how we have minimised our strength & endurance by 10 to 12% the estimated performance difference between males and females across most sports that rely on endurance & strength. Up until puberty age there is very little performance difference between the sexes experiencing a male puberty is where the difference in males & females in endurance and strength becomes evident, @Scienceofsport explains this better then anyone I have heard before. To enable XY females to gain some credibility in sports we need to identify measurable quantities that can show all stakeholders how we have minimised this advantage of experiencing a male puberty and living years with a male endocrine system.Some of the measurable quantities I suggest could be screening pre transition V02 Oxygen levels, muscle mass , testosterone levels, bone density and BMI’s. We need the criteria to compete to be clear for both the transitioning athlete & our competitors. This hopefully would minimise transitioning athletes having to defend the right to compete each time they play sport & it would show our competition in measurable terms what the criteria is to compete, and when and how the criteria has been met. Our competition also face criticism unfairly when they question the rights of transitioning athletes competing this would be minimised with clearer and measurable quantities within trans participation policies.

For XX female to XX male athletes minimising performance is not seen necessary although I do have concerns this may be the case in the future with XX males being able to super dope unrestricted. XX females transitioning to XX males do not have to undergo a hysterectomy (removal of the womb and ovaries), but a gonadectomy (removal of testicles) is carried out on XY males transitioning to XY females.What this means, in effect, is that XX males do not have the main testosterone-producing organ in their body removed, but XY females do. Sport has put forward the idea that transitioning from one sex to the other is the same process. The XY female’s body is broken down into a post-menopausal state and the complications that come with that. The XX male gets juiced, and goes into a hyper state due to their known biological sensitivity to androgens. You see them in football, in bodybuilding, in all the big muscle sports doing exceptionally well, because they are taking these high levels of testosterone that are completely unregulated. They never bring XX males back into a state of lower values after they have gone through transition. They just stick to those higher levels. Chris Mossier could not be competing the way that he competes as a biathlete without those really high levels of testosterone. Mack Beggs is a hyper-doping athlete competing in sport who is outperforming other female athletes. People should be complaining because it’s clearly doping. Chris Mossier , Beggs and others have been getting away with it and this is the problem with what the IOC has done. It has solely focused on the male/female social model, but has never done the necessary homework. The science actually opposes the IOC’s international policy.

With XY females fully transitioned I believe creating a fair inclusion policy could be achieved now, XY women (fully transitioned) are the only athletes competing unhealthy in a complete androgen deprivation state and well beyond a (post menopause state). Incredibly unhealthy and spore eventually becomes impossible as the body deteriorates as it cannot respond to day-to-day functions without androgens as the bodies primary communications and regulator hormone. Moreover and important, the XY transitioned female is the only body that can show the health and key markers where the body turns on then off, as the body loses its ability to regulate androgens. Which then causes complete androgen deprivation of the human body, heavily contraindicates it as testosterone plays over 200 functions in the body every single day separate of the sex of the physiology.

A transitioning XY Female (pre op)are hypgonatic, not feeling full effects of complete androgen deprivation and plus 2 dozen contraindications because they still have gonads. If they were a HP athlete prior and during continued transition minimising the advantage in women's competition takes even longer years longer. A pre op XY female still has a male endocrine system all it takes is for the transitioning athlete is to not take their androgens blockers for a day and testosterone production will recommence.

A transitioning (pre op) XY Female effectively has the equivalent of a fully loaded syringe of testosterone at her disposal. As Hannah Mouncey states in a recent article she only had to provide her initial testosterone levels with no follow up tests very easy to manipulate testosterone levels. At the elite level of sport & also in high impact sports this is a grave concern. A transitioning XY female athlete could take just enough testosterone blockers to maintain a testosterone level at just under 10nmols very easily with manipulating her medication, almost impossible to police.

The truth in this conversation needs to hit mainstream media the integrity of women’s sport is to important for it not to be.

The sheer size of Hannah Mouncey is enough of a concern for me. She's 190 and 100kgs and could do serious damage to other women, even with a slight knock. I get the Sandilands/Daniel comparison, but it's not comparing apples with apples.

I don't understand the complexities, but I also think it's the right of the sport's governing body to decide who they do and don't allow play in a competition.

We need to hear more about these flights.

Might have been better for that new show with Neroli, Sarah and Kelli. The Front Pocket or whatever it's called.
Yeah good call.
He's really struggling for subjects though is Mike, esp potentially enlightening interviewees about days of football past, with new stories and insights to how footy was back then.
Can only piggy back off the sportsmans night circuit for so long

Do you know that Sydney Swan Oliver Florent won the Rising Star Nom this week?

What does this have to do with the subject. Well, Mike had as subjects on his show last year- DRUMROLL PLEASE- Oliver Florent AND his mother.

I thought that you had to be retired, and have actually had a long career to talk about, yet Florent at that stage had played five games, and his mother hadn't played any, so I don't know why they were guests on "Open Mike".

It must be the only time in AFL history that a footballer has been a subject of "Open Mike" BEFORE winning a Rising Star Nomination.

That was the moment it jumped the shark for me.
The story was more about the passing of his father, a professional tennis player, in the lead up to the draft, and his football was helping Jim move forward from the tragedy.

Remove this Banner Ad

FTA-TV Open Mike

Remove this Banner Ad

Back