Oppo Camp Opposition Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Wait, we are asking to drop Rowell? He hasn't been anywhere near his best 2nd half of the year for sure. Even below his best, he is an AFL quality midfielder, 20 touches and 6 clearances on the weekend is still a decent game of AFL footy.

On the past weekend, our midfield was far from the problem. Flanders was great, Anderson worked through his tag, Swallow turned back the clock and Rowell was serviceable.

It's always good to see the blues get done but that port win really dents our chances for a top 8 finish. Port along with essendon seemed our most likely teams to replace. Go Saints and of course need to start with our own win against the Lions today.

Pretty crazy how quickly Hawthorn have gone past us. We are gonna have to get younger to get better again and they will building towards a premiership.
I don’t think we can afford to go younger to get better. We need to recruit to get better. Asking a young player to lift the team is a big ask and has never worked for us.

Hawthorn recruited several mature players (Chol, Ginni, D’Ambrosio and Meek, for example) to go with their own mature players and younger draftees, and so they can bounce up easier. Pretty simple.

I don’t think we can afford to go younger to get better. We need to recruit to get better. Asking a young player to lift the team is a big ask and has never worked for us.

Hawthorn recruited several mature players (Chol, Ginni, D’Ambrosio and Meek, for example) to go with their own mature players and younger draftees, and so they can bounce up easier. Pretty simple.
Rioli should be number one target

On SM-A546E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Pretty crazy how quickly Hawthorn have gone past us. We are gonna have to get younger to get better again and they will building towards a premiership.
Younger? Hawks play way older line-ups than us. We can't get any younger. It would be suicide next year when we simply have to play finals. Only Crows go as crazy young as us.

Last edited:
Rioli should be number one target

If we did, move Weller to a wing and we become more damaging in two areas.

But I actually think a smart small forward would do more for us. We (usually) get the ball in there enough. Someone who kicks set shots and sneaks goals is a must. Just not sure one is available (though, technically, neither is Rioli).

If we did, move Weller to a wing and we become more damaging in two areas.

But I actually think a smart small forward would do more for us. We (usually) get the ball in there enough. Someone who kicks set shots and sneaks goals is a must. Just not sure one is available (though, technically, neither is Rioli).
I hope Rogers can do that next year. He had no pre-season this year. I would expect Lombard to get games too next year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Younger? Hawks play way older line-ups than us. We can't get any younger. It would be suicide next year when we simply have to play finals. Only Crows go as crazy young as us.
Holman, Swallow, Witts from Saturdays team won't be in the team for when we push up the ladder. We will get younger again, we need to attract talent badly but I'm worried we won't pay for Rioli when we clearly need a player of his ilk.

Do we have that many holes? I don't think it is too bad?

Another goal kicking small
Wing
Running HB

They are probably the 3 positions that we need to tidy up. Maybe another contested midfielder to give Rowell a chop out, but maybe Davies takes that role going forward?

Do we have that many holes? I don't think it is too bad?

Another goal kicking small
Wing
Running HB

They are probably the 3 positions that we need to tidy up. Maybe another contested midfielder to give Rowell a chop out, but maybe Davies takes that role going forward?
My thoughts too. We’ve tried basically everyone on the list at halfback to try and plug that hole, to some success but overall not quite right. We need a halfback who can also defend.

Our other “AFL” quality smalls/medium forwards are Sexton and Farrar at best. Or Jeffrey if we swing him forward again. Possibly Rogers, then Ainsworth to come back. This is the biggest hole for me though, as it would give us some reliable firepower and more consistency up front.

Wingers are Ellis and Atkins (past it, most likely) and Faulkhead (no games). So we have to do something there (Weller? Powell?)

Fiorini and Davies could both play inside midfield at top level though. Touk to come back as well. But we might want to add another depth player or rookie there at the very least; unless quality falls in our lap and wants to come, I’d say this is the lowest priority.

Hawks are flying mainly b/c the coach has got a lot of the best 22 players playing as well they can over the last 8 or 9 weeks.

How many of our players are playing as well as they can across a 10 week period. Home and away.
One? I would say Collins is doing that. Anyone else?

Hawks are flying mainly b/c the coach has got a lot of the best 22 players playing as well they can over the last 8 or 9 weeks.

How many of our players are playing as well as they can across a 10 week period. Home and away.
One? I would say Collins is doing that. Anyone else?
King has been pretty good over the past season he is close to 50 goals a year which is a good season for a key forward, his last 2 weeks not withstanding.

How about Martin sitting in a forward pocket for a couple of years

Rioli and Martin in instantly fixes our 2 most glaring issues and adds an incredible amount of experience almost perfectly. Add a full pre-season for Weller on the wing and we are already a much better, more experienced side. Then add Uwland and the other academy kids who were slotting goals from everywhere in the VFL on the weekend in 2025 and that sures up these spots for the future as well.

At this point, Martin could give 10% effort and still be our most dangerous forward. We need someone who can actually kick a goal sooo badly.

Martin is our Hodge
Mightn't actually be worth a game on output but worth a game every day of the week based on what he will bring to the Club
I'd probably take Stringer before him though
We are a team of very nice guys
We need more arseh*le
Surely a 100% better than Berry in a forward pocket

Remove this Banner Ad

Oppo Camp Opposition Watch