Other amazing last minute victories.

Remove this Banner Ad

From what I remember we were about 15th at the time and Carlton were 4th or somewhere there abouts, massive upset. Port kick 2 goals in the last minute to snatch victory.

We were 2nd at the time.

This was a bad patch for us, lost to the Dogs at Princes Park by a few points, challenged Essendon in a fantastic match and were only a couple of points behind at 3 QTR time but ran out of legs in the end (2 man bench, Kouta and Bradley injured), then to you guys.

For me, nothing beats Scott Hodges kick in the SANFL 1996 Prelim. An incredible kick for goal from 40 out with an absolute gale blowing across the face of goal. Still dont know how he slotted it.

[youtube]YM2Sur24ceQ[/youtube]

fwiw, the siren goes 4 seconds after the centre bounce.

i lol'ed coz it's norwood

brilliant video:thumbsu::thumbsu:

[youtube]7Bnfmi2oSnY[/youtube]

Peter Burgoyne v Carlton late 2000. From what I remember we were about 15th at the time and Carlton were 4th or somewhere there abouts, massive upset. Port kick 2 goals in the last minute to snatch victory.

Don't know if the sound works for others but it doesn't for me. Shame.

Two things stand out from that clip:

1. Primus :(

2. No bullshit sideways football, just long and direct to the forward line :(

Can't find any video of it but there was a game between North and Geelong at the Dome a few years back in the Bizzell era. North were fairly cruising late before Ben Graham went forward and kicked 2 crucial goals to put Geelong within a kick. With about 6 seconds left and Geelong moving forward, Jason Mooney marks and handballs to Bizzell who's scooting past at about 80 metres out. Bizzel runs 5, kicks it about 80. Torp sails through post high amid the squeals of Brereton and Dunstall... for a point. Siren goes. North wins by 5. Carey and Brad Sholl each got 30+ kicks off half back if I recall.

You still can't beat Kerry Good for the 'Latest last-second win'.

To take the mark 10 secs after the final siren and then slot the winning goal - that's hard to beat.

My mate`s old man (mad Pie fan) was watching on the telly and heard Lou Richards declare that the siren had gone and Colloingwood were the night premiers... just as the blackout kicked in and he lost transmission. He celebrated all night and wept over his morning paper the next day

I haven't heard this story, what happened?

Early days of night competition (they played it during the season). Pies were up by a few points (maybe one?) Siren goes as Roos run through the centre but umpires don`t hear it as the crowd is screaming like a collective of banshees. Ball is kicked into roos forward line and marked by Kerry Good, who slots the goal as crowd is swarming around him, having run onto the field (those were the days). Only minor outrage followed - it was only a night premiership, after all.

1994 Prelim Final - Geelong v North - scores are tied when Geelong race the ball downfield, Ablett outpositions Mick Martyn to take a mark after being well held all day, kicks after the siren to put the Cats into the GF (which they lost horribly).

1947 Grand Final - First-year Carlton player Fred Stafford snaps a goal from a boundary throw-in with 44 seconds left. Carlton beat Essendon by one point.

Ahh the old Man United injury time trick "They're in front, blow the siren!!!"

well prove it didnt happen:rolleyes:

haha. Easy tiger. You got a premiership 2 years later, and there's probably a coulpe more to come soon. Don't get sooky about a 4 year old game.

A ****ing fantastic four year old game.

My heart still races a bit watching that back.

Haha "Prove it didn't happen."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Richmond v Hawthorn, R2 1977. In the dying seconds Jimmy Jess, playing his eighth game, takes a screamer in the teeth of goal and converts to give the Tigers a one-point win.

Legend has it that Royce Hart kicked a 70-metre torpedo goal after the siren to win the U19 Grand Final for Richmond in 1966.

Peter Riccardi's goal after the siren to defeat carlton.
Remembering that Geelong were 38 points up with 12 minutes to play and then behind with 26 seconds left, only to win after the siren, it was probably the most amazing 20 minutes of footy I've ever seen.

Remembering that Geelong were 38 points up with 12 minutes to play and then behind with 26 seconds left, only to win after the siren, it was probably the most amazing 20 minutes of footy I've ever seen.

I was sitting above the wing and decided to make a hasty exit following the 50 metre penalty to Lappin (Rooke was crucified, awful decision at the time). I hit ground level just as Clarke gathered and hit Riccardi. Standing at the back of level one I watched the ball leave the boot, disappear past the bottom of the stand and then reappear as it sailed through. I, we, everyone went bananas. It drifted and swung dramatically, possibly due to Wiggins'(?) touch.

a favourite of mine would have to be ess vs wc when hird snapped that goal from the pocket to win the game and how he hugged tht bloke after..just an out and out cracking game with a great finish...everything during that wk had built up to tht game and to finish the way it did was superb

I'm not talking about close wins here. I'm talking about close wins in the dying stages, with a last second score.

What are some of the other dramatic last minute acts of theft you have witnessed.

Essendon vs Sydney PF in 1996. :thumbsu:
Pluggers point after the siren)

Geelong vs Sydney SF in 2005. :thumbsu::thumbsu:
(Nick Davis with 'THAT' goal with 10 seconds left).

[youtube]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/b4EoiIaaV_o&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/b4EoiIaaV_o&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

First Pies game I took the now-wife to. Both teams 3-0 to start the season, the Pies surprisingly so. Rocca slots the game winner in the last minute and all of us black/white faithful in the old Yabba Hill/Walters stand went completely bezerk. I remember an old Swans codger whinging after the siren about all the bandwagon Pies fans. :eek:

Paul Roos getting Fitzroy over line v Collingwood at Princes Park, 1992. It's on youtube somewhere.
Was actually at that game.Collingwood came back from about about 5 goals down at 3/4 time and an ex Fitzroy player in Gary Pert put Collingwood in front with about 45 secs to go only to find Roosy crumbed a pack in the last 10-15 seconds to snap a left foot goal to win them the game

sydney vs geelong semi final (or was it nick davis vs geelong)

geelong vs carlton a few years back when riccardi kicked the goal from about 60 after the siren (and the man on the mark claimed he touched it)

Remove this Banner Ad

Other amazing last minute victories.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back