Oppo Camp Other Clubs News/General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Is there a drafting strategy we haven’t tried?

Rookie draft. Cat B overseas. Cat B local. Mid season. SSP. Father-son. Drafting athletes and turning them into footballers. Drafting footballers and building up their athletic base. Drafting basketballers. Drafting soccer players. Drafting from all around the country. Drafting from the local leagues. Drafting mature players.

It’s not as if our squad is bristling with first round draft picks?

Our list management has always been thinking out of the box …

… maybe the only thing we haven’t tried is thinking inside the box?
Who is the basketballer we drafted?? :p

Their recruiting strategy is much better than what we have. Leppa has gone on record as saying we will be looking at different strategies to drafting and it's about time. Time to think outside the box or outside Hines list
I hate to say it, but my gut is that they've got a fantastic network that they've built up over years and it will take years to build up to match them and it won't be about a change in the head chair or strategy that gets us matching their talent spotting.

Yep, I think you're right
It's not one bloke finding gold from hidden corners all around the country.

The big hope is that Mackie being a cocky little campaigner ****s up all the good work that his predecessors have done.

Telling a a cocky little smart arse that he's not catching a flight, is not embarrassing yourself.

What a world we live in.
I'm certainly not a fan of Jack Ginnivan and his childish behaviour. He's going to have to learn to pull his head in, or his career may be over much sooner than it should be! Sicily's conduct (on-field) was ordinary (he was probably lucky he didn't cop some sort of a fine as well), and what he had to say off-field wasn't great, while Sam Mitchell didn't come out of the whole episode looking good either. A senior coach (Hinkley) should not behave like that on a football field, even if they've been under great pressure themselves, and felt they were provoked. All of those people embarrassed themselves to at least some extent, and it wasn't a good look for the game.

This is Hinkley's twelfth year at Port. It's very rare for a coach to survive that long without delivering a flag. He's bought himself a bit more time now, but their fans will turn on him very quickly again if/when things turn sour! Despite their great recent record against the Swans I can't see them winning this week.

Is there a drafting strategy we haven’t tried?

Rookie draft. Cat B overseas. Cat B local. Mid season. SSP. Father-son. Drafting athletes and turning them into footballers. Drafting footballers and building up their athletic base. Drafting basketballers. Drafting soccer players. Drafting from all around the country. Drafting from the local leagues. Drafting mature players.

It’s not as if our squad is bristling with first round draft picks?

Our list management has always been thinking out of the box …

… maybe the only thing we haven’t tried is thinking inside the box?

Plenty of sports we havent tried drafting Cat Bs from yet:
darts, tenpin bowling, chess, curling, synchronised swimming
Dekkas just getting started

An article in todays Herald Sun about the ingredients to Geelong's sustained success. I have only highlighted a bit about this weeks team: "If defender Sam De Koning gets picked to play against Brisbane he will be the highest draft pick – No. 19 in 2019 – the Cats have used to create this team.

Nine players in this team the Cats have got directly out of the national draft with their selections, ranging from No. 19 to No. 63 while seven have graduated from the club’s rookie list.

“I think Geelong in particular, through picks 40 to 60, or the third, fourth round and rookies, it feels like they have been able to maximise those picks as well as anyone in the competition,” Taylor said.

On SM-N975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

So sick of reading about how good Geelong are. At every bloody thing.

What happened to the good old days of calling them the ‘handbaggers’? God, I can’t believe I even think that’s acceptable in this day and age. Which of course it isn’t. So I apologise for even bringing it up. But I do miss their decades of incompetence.

So sick of reading about how good Geelong are. At every bloody thing.

What happened to the good old days of calling them the ‘handbaggers’? God, I can’t believe I even think that’s acceptable in this day and age. Which of course it isn’t. So I apologise for even bringing it up. But I do miss their decades of incompetence.
Oh for the good old days when we all felt sorry for the Cats and their downtrodden supporters.

What I wouldn't give for another Farrow-like collapse to take the shine off that joint.

Back on my (non-favourite) topic of Geelong, even their recent stadium redevelopment is outstanding in terms of their breadth and quality of their facilities. Now regarded as the best stadium in regional Australia.

Of course it is!

But it’s still in ‘Sleepy Hollow’.😋

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Back on my (non-favourite) topic of Geelong, even their recent stadium redevelopment is outstanding in terms of their breadth and quality of their facilities. Now regarded as the best stadium in regional Australia.

Of course it is!

But it’s still in ‘Sleepy Hollow’.😋
What is the second best in regional Australia? It wouldn't have much to beat?

Oh for the good old days when we all felt sorry for the Cats and their downtrodden supporters.

What I wouldn't give for another Farrow-like collapse to take the shine off that joint.

Was that the Pyramid collapse? Geez, it brought the town (can’t think of it as a city) to its knees.

And who can forget the ‘flamboyant’ mayor, Darryn? Daryl? Something or other.

1726631095972.png

What is the second best in regional Australia? It wouldn't have much to beat?

Mars Stadium in Ballarat? Godforsaken hole. I’ve been there a couple of times in the past to watch our VFL team.

Maybe Manuka Oval in Canberra? Canberra’s a regional town, surely.

You’re right - it’s not much of a contest.

Who is the basketballer we drafted?? :p

A heap of them. OTTOMY sporting backgrounds we’ve recruited …

Basketball:
Wilson
Cox
Madgen
Wyatt
McNamara
(I guess some might say Pendles, but not sure a pick 5 who played TAC Cup counts?)

Soccer:
Keeffe

Rugby League:
Bosenavulagi

Cricket:
Murphy
Parker

Gaelic:
Tohill
Mooney
Keane
Clarke

Any others?

Plenty of sports we havent tried drafting Cat Bs from yet:
darts, tenpin bowling, chess, curling, synchronised swimming
Dekkas just getting started
He's tried deaf. I wonder how a blind footballer would go.

A heap of them. OTTOMY sporting backgrounds we’ve recruited …

Basketball:
Wilson
Cox
Madgen
Wyatt
McNamara
(I guess some might say Pendles, but not sure a pick 5 who played TAC Cup counts?)

Soccer:
Keeffe

Rugby League:
Bosenavulagi

Cricket:
Murphy
Parker

Gaelic:
Tohill
Mooney
Keane
Clarke

Any others?
Josh Carmichael -
"... he was once better known for his exploits with a table tennis bat than with a football. ..."

Remove this Banner Ad

Oppo Camp Other Clubs News/General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back