Oppo Camp Other Clubs News/General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Haha…

“If it was anyone other than Ginnivan then maybe I’d believe it. Maybe I should give them the benefit of the doubt, but the fact that two of them were sick is pretty poor.”

… so you’re saying you think Ginnivan is a petulant dickhead too.

Mackie having a whinge about St Kilda getting pick 8 for Battle. Bit rich coming from the bloke who traded their future 1st so we couldn't get it for Henry. Scumbag.

Mackie is a bastard, but he has a point. Free agency compensation is a shambles.

GWS got pick 16 for Perryman, who was an UFA and just finished 8th in their B & F.

Meanwhile Adelaide paid pick 28 to Melbourne for Alex Neal-Bullen, who finished 3rd in their B & F and was contracted.

A system whereby you're better off letting players walk in free agency than trading them whilst under contract is not fit for purpose.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ah, so Fly gets criticised for saying he's a 'player over picks' coach..and now Voss is being criticised for being a 'pick over a player' coach? 🤣

Montagna would be singing a different tune if it was Collingwood.
He an A-class tosser who is still pissed off about 2010.
GAGF, w***er!!

Mackie is a bastard, but he has a point. Free agency compensation is a shambles.

GWS got pick 16 for Perryman, who was an UFA and just finished 8th in their B & F.

Meanwhile Adelaide paid pick 28 to Melbourne for Alex Neal-Bullen, who finished 3rd in their B & F and was contracted.

A system whereby you're better off letting players walk in free agency than trading them whilst under contract is not fit for purpose.
GWS would much prefer Perryman over pick 16 which is already 17. There is an issue with the pick being based off a teams position though. I think that can be improved

Ah, so Fly gets criticised for saying he's a 'player over picks' coach..and now Voss is being criticised for being a 'pick over a player' coach? 🤣

You just can’t win with these twatwaffles. No matter what you say or do, they’ll flip it and twist it to make it shit their current agenda.

GWS would much prefer Perryman over pick 16 which is already 17.

Not really the point. He's an unrestricted free agent.

In the NRL, your 'reward' for losing a free agent is... cap space. That's it. Ditto the NBA, although the cap rules there are so convoluted and byzantine i won't bore you with them here, only to point out that sometimes the team receives less than nothing, not even cap space.

In the AFL on the other hand, it's often times actually beneficial to lose a free agent, as you acquire better compensation than you could ever hope to in a trade. Think James Frawley netting Melbourne a top 3 pick.

I dunno how people see Perryman in a direct comparison to ANB, but I'd suggest they're a reasonable comparison. Thus Melbourne receiving far less for ANB who was under contract than GWS did for losing a FA is completely counter-intuitive.

GWS may well prefer the player over the pick, but it doesn't make the compensation system any less farcical.

Not really the point. He's an unrestricted free agent.

In the NRL, your 'reward' for losing a free agent is... cap space. That's it. Ditto the NBA, although the cap rules there are so convoluted and byzantine i won't bore you with them here, only to point out that sometimes the team receives less than nothing, not even cap space.

In the AFL on the other hand, it's often times actually beneficial to lose a free agent, as you acquire better compensation than you could ever hope to in a trade. Think James Frawley netting Melbourne a top 3 pick.

I dunno how people see Perryman in a direct comparison to ANB, but I'd suggest they're a reasonable comparison. Thus Melbourne receiving far less for ANB who was under contract than GWS did for losing a FA is completely counter-intuitive.

GWS may well prefer the player over the pick, but it doesn't make the compensation system any less farcical.
The issue being some clubs are more likely to be poached. Gold coast, GWS case in point. Then the minows like north, saints etc. without Compo there’s a potential for bigger clubs to gain all the benefits. I can see the reasoning for compo.

Hopefully the Baggers don’t come over the top last minute and Trump us with pick 12 now that it seems we’re in with a good chance of landing Houston

The issue being some clubs are more likely to be poached. Gold coast, GWS case in point. Then the minows like north, saints etc. without Compo there’s a potential for bigger clubs to gain all the benefits. I can see the reasoning for compo.

Ideally that's where a hard salary cap should come into play though. I'm not the biggest fan of the way the NRL does it, but it's undeniable that it's often the top teams losing players to bottom teams there, not the other way around. The 4-time premiers are losing two stars to the wooden spooners for next year, just by way of example.

The other thing is that Perryman - and Cumming for that matter - were academy selections, which is a controversial subject in itself. GWS landed that pair in 2016 for picks 38. 44, 51, 52, 54, 55 & 56, got eight years of good footy out of them, and then gained picks 16 & 21 when they departed. That's actually a very tidy profit.

The compensation system really needs a major overhaul. Legitimate stars - like AA level players - maybe there's an argument for end of R1 compensation, ie. less value than you'd receive in a trade, but some compensation. Players like Battle and Perryman, it really should be second round compensation. And I have more sympathy for St Kilda than GWS in this particular scenario.

Remove this Banner Ad

Oppo Camp Other Clubs News/General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back