Oppo Camp Other Clubs News/General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

In terms of selling hope and appeasing a supporter base that would understandably be feeling anxiety about where the Club is at right now, it's a pretty smart message

In terms of selling hope and appeasing a supporter base that would understandably be feeling anxiety about where the Club is at right now, it's a pretty smart message
I just saw Gollum talking about his preciousssssss ring.

Maxy's been pumping out these warm & fuzzies every week.

All pretty meaningless when the club from the top down is still a shitshow.

I guess

In isolation though it's pretty good

But yeah when the wider context is brought in it's probably somewhat meaningless

Especially when you realise it was a COVID Flag which really has as big an asterisk next to it as you can get outside the Salary Cap flags

No reason to get angry.

You and I only get to see a player’s output for 2 hours a week.

The club get to see them for 30 - 40 hours per week, week after week. Including interactions that you and I have no insight into, such as attitude, ability and willingness to learn the game plan and play their role, willingness to get fit and get over injuries, willingness to be a good team-mate, and get the best out of themselves.

On a podcast recently Ed mentioned that a significant number of players are a problem because when they come into the AFL system they just want to live the high life but don’t want to put the work in. He had a term for them “bread roll eaters”.

Maybe you’re getting yourself “angry” over players who’ve done a handful of highlights at training / VFL / maybe even AFL? …

… but the club have seen in a few years of close contact that the player doesn’t do the work, and/or has a poor attitude, and/or are bad for team culture, and/or aren’t willing to do any of the things successful players do. And the club are just keen to kick them out of the joint.

Some great points. But drafting a tall forward in a covid year, to get rid of him after 2 years is bonkers to me. Even if he had any of those above knocks, still heaps of time to adjust. Now we are lacking in that department.

Here he is with his gear off at the BnF after party:

View attachment 2149581
When I saw him he was skulking(and sulking) about in the trees looking for his Precious. Then I saw him swing it. Worse than his kicking technique. Nothing funnier than seeing sh-t golfers get angry at their own poor play. What are they expecting? Today might be the day everything changes?

When I saw him he was skulking(and sulking) about in the trees looking for his Precious. Then I saw him swing it. Worse than his kicking technique. Nothing funnier than seeing sh-t golfers get angry at their own poor play. What are they expecting? Today might be the day everything changes?
Charles Barkley Golf GIF by NBA on TNT

This made me think of Sir Charles

I think it's all part of pretending that it's just a bad day, but you're usually good...

Charles Barkley Golf GIF by NBA on TNT

This made me think of Sir Charles
Reporting this post. There are some things that shouldn't be seen. I watched a show where Hank Haney(one of Tiger's coaches) tried to Charles. Kind of succeeded. Don't even want to think about the mental demons that get a talented athlete to that point.

I think it's all part of pretending that it's just a bad day, but you're usually good...
Padraig Harrington had a good saying to pro-am partners - "Do you think you are that good a golfer that you can afford to play with a bad attitude? I know I can't. Are you that arrogant to think you can?"

Usually got them to behave.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some great points. But drafting a tall forward in a covid year, to get rid of him after 2 years is bonkers to me. Even if he had any of those above knocks, still heaps of time to adjust. Now we are lacking in that department.

Were Carlton bonkers for trading out the reigning Coleman medalist for not very much?

Were Brisbane bonkers for tearing up the contract of the same player after he’d kicked 48 goals in 17 games?

Were Swans bonkers for trading out their Captain who had just kicked 31 goals in 11 games?

Obviously in each of those examples (and there are plenty others) people understand and appreciate the decision because of the mitigating circumstances.

The difference is that in those examples the mitigating circumstances happened to be public.

Plenty of things go on that aren’t public.

We now know that Swanny would have been moved out of Collingwood if some of his antics had become public.

Sometimes it’s easiest for the club to just quietly move a player on, especially if they haven’t established themselves yet.

And that’s before we even get to onfield performance.

Caleb Poulter - who is now a handy player for Western Bulldogs - has openly admitted that he didn’t take his footy seriously enough when he was at Collingwood.

Caleb Poulter - who is now a handy player for Western Bulldogs - has openly admitted that he didn’t take his footy seriously enough when he was at Collingwood.
Fixed it.

To go on with your point.....he may have done absolutely nothing wrong.
But body shape and contested ability were just not up to it (and still aren't).

For the style we play, he wasn't getting a look in and we probably valued the list spot more.
So even if he was still on our list, he'd be behind Reef (which says a lot).

Remove this Banner Ad

Oppo Camp Other Clubs News/General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back