Oppo Camp Other Clubs News/General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Begg was very lucky to be kept on for so long, as he never really looked like making it. He wasn't a Cat B rookie however, just a mid-season (rookie) pick-up. No doubt he was kept on mainly as he could be a back-up ruckman, but they may have thought he'd eventually turn into a useful kp type as well. Somewhat ironically, Jackson Callow was taken one pick before Begg in the MSD. A lot of people on here were desperate for us to get him, and would have been ecstatic if we'd done so, believing him to be the answer to our KPF woes. He didn't last long at all!

Good luck to McMahon if he gets another crack at it. I won't be losing any sleep over it even if he does and makes a success of it. It's a cut-throat business, and you just can't keep too many players who are still developing on your list. It might even be that if we'd kept him on then Frampton wouldn't have been recruited, and the ending to the 2023 season could have been different!

That’s right… he was MSD.

But at the end of the day they’ve backed the wrong horse in this time

4 years on the list for a 197cm Begg… playing him 90% as a ruck in a position he is too short for in the modern game

Versus 2 years for a dual position KPP in McMahon who has since kicked 40 goals in a VFL season.

Begg will never amount to that much in comparison at VFL level.

Whereas McMahon is now back on an AFL list

A bit silly to have WC rank equally with us & Sydney. They are less consistent

WCE:

2 Premierships, each from separate eras. Played in 4 Grand Finals. Played finals in 14 of 25 seasons.

Collingwood:

2 Premierships, each from separate eras.
Played in 6 Grand Finals. Played finals in 15 of 25 seasons

Not much in it?

A bit silly to have WC rank equally with us & Sydney. They are less consistent
This is based on cold hard stats since 2000, if I were you I wouldn't use the word "silly" at all.

Remove this Banner Ad

Oppo Camp Other Clubs News/General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back