News Otten re-signs for 2 years

Remove this Banner Ad

Does anyone know if there is any truth ti Shaw signing a 2 year deal. And that they are looking at playing him as a big mid next year? Just heard this along the grapevine.

Does anyone know if there is any truth ti Shaw signing a 2 year deal. And that they are looking at playing him as a big mid next year? Just heard this along the grapevine.

dunno Barney without a coach, I wonder who is this "they" who has decided how we will play and what positions players will be played in?

I was actually pretty impressed with him as a forward when he played there. His set shot kicking was a bit iffy, but he seemed to show a natural sense of where to run as a forward. I just can't see where he gets a game up there at the moment. Hopefully he's working his arse off to get some burst pace. He's not going to have a high top speed, but if he can work on getting some power into his legs and a bit of acceleration, he's got enough football smarts about him to do something good with the ball. Wouldn't mind seeing him replace VB (out of the side) or Henderson (move up to the wing permanently) in the back line.

I'm think he might be the Scott Stevens / Pods swing man option

Can't see them signing him for the defence alone

I like Otten and am glad he's got another chance

Last edited:
dunno Barney without a coach, I wonder who is this "they" who has decided how we will play and what positions players will be played in?
Yeah I agree it's pretty interesting that these list changes, although small have actually occurred.i wander if the coach to be has been allowed to assess and pull strings from afar

I personally think it's more of a verbal 1 + 1 deal, meaning if another serious injury or real bad form strike next season he'll more than likely walk away & retire.

Both him and Shaw need to be trialled in different positions next season for mine, need to offer a lot more variety if they're both staying on the list.

I'ld like to see Shaw play on the wing and even trial in the midfield at the bounces.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Surely the alternative to signing Otten for 2 years was um, signing him for 1?
I don't know what the big deal is signing Otten up for 2 years is. It's not like he would be on huge coin. He played consistent footy when he returned to the SANFL, such that he was named as an emergency several times. 1 year for a long-time club servant, who is nowhere near 30, is petty IMO.

I don't know what the big deal is signing Otten up for 2 years is. It's not like he would be on huge coin. He played consistent footy when he returned to the SANFL, such that he was named as an emergency several times. 1 year for a long-time club servant, who is nowhere near 30, is petty IMO.

It's petty when it's an isolated instance. When it's a consistent theme of over-contracting loyal servitude ahead of actual on field performance then it is a cultural problem that helps to lead us to where we are. We have an abundance of 3rd tall defensive back up. However, if he can get a bit of mobility back he might be good backup, but he looked awfully slow when last seen at AFL level.

From a list management point of view it could potentially be a bad move.

Clubs always have to be mindful of the list turnover, I would be interested to see which player's contracts are expiring at the end of 2016 to get a better idea.

Personally I would have preferred for Otten to have been offered a 12 month contract to and then make a decision at the end of next year as to whether to keep him on or delist him.

Last edited:

A like for like disposal wise with Danger.

Clubs always have to be mindful of the list turnover, I would have thought Otten would be the type that the club would offer a 12 month contract to and then make a decision at the end of next year as to whether to keep him on or delist him. I would be interested to see which player's contracts are expiring next year to get an idea of our potential list movement at the end of next year.

Without the blokes still unsigned for 2015, our 2016 OOC players looks like this:

upload_2015-10-2_12-38-17.png

Thommo will retire. VB could too.

*Assumed 2 year deals for Lowden/Cheney in their trades across.

That would be ridiculous, the club needs to move away from continually offering longer contracts to our bottom end players.

Clubs always have to be mindful of the list turnover, I would have thought Otten would be the type that the club would offer a 12 month contract to and then make a decision at the end of next year as to whether to keep him on or delist him. I would be interested to see which player's contracts are expiring next year to get an idea of our potential list movement at the end of next year.

I reckon the 2 years is more to do with our list profile and the big hole we have in terms of quality 25-30 year olds, which in terms of a premiership window is where you want a good chunk of your best players.

We have these guys in that bracket:

VB 29
Jaensch 26
Wright 25
Mackay 27
Betts 28
Otten 26
Jacobs 27
Cheney 26
Douglas 28
Lynch 25
Henderson 27

Otten isn't the best but he's far from the worst. Given our list profile, I think we need to keep him as depth and hope he comes back into some form. I'd rather have him on a two year deal than about half the other players on that list - as long as he's fit.

I reckon the 2 years is more to do with our list profile and the big hole we have in terms of quality 25-30 year olds, which in terms of a premiership window is where you want a good chunk of your best players.

We have these guys in that bracket:

VB 29
Jaensch 26
Wright 25
Mackay 27
Betts 28
Otten 26
Jacobs 27
Cheney 26
Douglas 28
Lynch 25
Henderson 27

Otten isn't the best but he's far from the worst. Given our list profile, I think we need to keep him as depth and hope he comes back into some form. I'd rather have him on a two year deal than about half the other players on that list - as long as he's fit.

Personal opinion is that this is why we've never gotten anywhere. We keep guys like that and then play them ahead of younger blokes purely because they're in the right age/experience bracket. Couldn't go into a semi without Dmac's 130 odd games because successful teams are full of experienced players. The reality is that successful teams pick players and keep players on their lists that are both experienced AND deliver consistent high performance at AFL level. Obviously Otto's issue is more to do with injury than a sheer lack of quality, but looking at a premiership team and taking notice of their age/experience profile and selecting your team to match it above quality of performance is what has us where we are and have remained for many years.

From the above list Thompson, VB, Lowden most likely to be delisted.

Jaensch, Cheney, Lyons, Dear not secure…important 2015 coming up for them (I have high hopes for them all though want to see if Jaensch can get up field a bit and actually use his kick more than safe 25m chips)

Crouch, Jenkins, Talia, Smith, Wigg, McGovern no chance of being delisted in 2016.

Remove this Banner Ad

News Otten re-signs for 2 years

Remove this Banner Ad

Back