Our assistant coaches :

Remove this Banner Ad

The one assistant that stood out most to me was Don Pyke being the midfield coach. Just with how fast the game is and all the changes in the modern game plus its been a deficiency in recent years a recently retired gun midfield player/leader/communicator would have made more sense.

So hard to judge. Obviously performances on the field this year not so good but the incoming assistant coaches have to beat out any old habits, win the trust, implement there styles etc. You would think a 2 year minimum to properly assess? Would give a chance for change and growth.

I've seen Mark Harvey and Joel Corey on this thread. They'd both be great coaches to have - experience and recency in the game. What are they both doing now?

Edit:
Corey's at the Bulldogs (don't know why you'd do that to yourself)
Harvey?

Last edited:
I've seen Mark Harvey and Joel Corey on this thread. They'd both be great coaches to have - experience and recency in the game. What are they both doing now?

Edit:
Corey's at the Bulldogs
Harvey?

Recency, there's a word you don't hear often. I like it and am going to add it to my vocabulary. Cheers

Know this isn't assistant but it is coach related. Should hire benny to be fitness coach and run all their gym/running sessions.
Bens a train wreck mate and there is no way the club would let him anywhere near the team. If Ben was straight and obvioisly walking the line maybe, but hes not, hes farrrked. So sad, would be great to see him coaching our midfield.

Maybe Simmo picked an inexperienced coaching group so he gets to implement his ideas with out having anyone second guess him or tell him he's doing it wrong, I know I have done the same at work when handed a big project for the first time.
^ Maybe, but I'd like to think it was more due to lack of availability of other coaches ie club's own fault for leaving it until so late in the year and not asking for Woosha's decision sooner , so he just opted for his mates (who happened to be free). I expect a cleanout of assistants at season's end once more credentialed assistants are available, unless we miraculously make the finals, but if it doesn't happen , I'll have to reconsider my opinion of Simmo (as picking inexperienced mates for comfort rather than necessity suggests confidence issues)

Bens a train wreck mate and there is no way the club would let him anywhere near the team. If Ben was straight and obvioisly walking the line maybe, but hes not, hes farrrked. So sad, would be great to see him coaching our midfield.

Speaking of which, isn't he due for another hiccup?

Maybe Simmo picked an inexperienced coaching group so he gets to implement his ideas with out having anyone second guess him or tell him he's doing it wrong, I know I have done the same at work when handed a big project for the first time.

I think it was more that all the assistants that he could have poached were about to begin their preseason prep at their clubs. Too late to start poaching them, especially if they are a quality senior assistant.

I have seen some people complain that Simpson only got his mates, the sad truth is that given the timing he couldnt get anyone other than his mates to break their contracts with their clubs. I know he tried to get Shannon Grant as well but even he wouldnt come at late notice. Grant is quite highly regarded and suspect he might be a chance this year.

Pretty sure Voss was asked but he was more interested in media work and he does have the recruit coming out on Foxtel in July. I do think we need an experienced assistant to help Simmo for the next few years. Here are a few that could be looked at:

- Brett Ratten: Will have worked with Simmo at the Hawks and could offer some good experience.

- Darren Burgess: He is the reason why Port are so fit and this is what we need! I have heard we tried to poach him last year and he was considering it. Offer him what ever he would be worth it.

- Voss: He will probably want to stay in the media but they should try convince again to convince him to be an assistant.

I totally agree with you Chris our club needs to spend more money where we need it , this club likes to sit on there hands and let the rot set in and if we don't get some good quality people in and get this club up where it belongs.

Should Woosha come back in another role at the club eg.. Managerial role??????

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I totally agree with you Chris our club needs to spend more money where we need it , this club likes to sit on there hands and let the rot set in and if we don't get some good quality people in and get this club up where it belongs.

Should Woosha come back in another role at the club eg.. Managerial role??????
Not sure if serious?
Your post is a total contradiction. Accidental or deliberate?

I get the feeling he may not be around at all in 10 years:(
Could be the case! I don't know the latest rumors but would be sad. Ive always been pretty neutral with the whole thing. The way he pushed himself will forever be etched into the memory. Literally gut busting running. Seeing him vomit was awe inspiring!

Our midfield and forward line coaches need to be questioned.

Rawlings might get the benefit of the doubt as it is his first year, but Longmuir needs to be looked at as he's been around a while.

We need more experience around Simpson.

I think it was more that all the assistants that he could have poached were about to begin their preseason prep at their clubs. Too late to start poaching them, especially if they are a quality senior assistant.

I have seen some people complain that Simpson only got his mates, the sad truth is that given the timing he couldnt get anyone other than his mates to break their contracts with their clubs. I know he tried to get Shannon Grant as well but even he wouldnt come at late notice. Grant is quite highly regarded and suspect he might be a chance this year.
Good point I didn't think much about that.

I was really worried about the lack of experience around maiden-season coach Adam Simpson.

Longmuir has been out forwards coach for a while, but I always wondered why Freo let "their" boy go - maybe he wasn't cutting the mustard.

Hick mitt has has coached teams in his own right, but never been a senior assistant at this level

I thought at the time we should've gone after Harvey to get some experience, although Daniher and Pyke are both experienced at this level. Harvey has alienated many people at his time at both Freo & Brisbane, and in hindsight I'm glad we didn't pick him because of his nature

I was really worried about the lack of experience around maiden-season coach Adam Simpson.

Longmuir has been out forwards coach for a while, but I always wondered why Freo let "their" boy go - maybe he wasn't cutting the mustard.

Hick mitt has has coached teams in his own right, but never been a senior assistant at this level

I thought at the time we should've gone after Harvey to get some experience, although Daniher and Pyke are both experienced at this level. Harvey has alienated many people at his time at both Freo & Brisbane, and in hindsight I'm glad we didn't pick him because of his nature

No more mediocrity please.

Pretty sure Voss was asked but he was more interested in media work and he does have the recruit coming out on Foxtel in July. I do think we need an experienced assistant to help Simmo for the next few years. Here are a few that could be looked at:

- Brett Ratten: Will have worked with Simmo at the Hawks and could offer some good experience.

- Darren Burgess: He is the reason why Port are so fit and this is what we need! I have heard we tried to poach him last year and he was considering it. Offer him what ever he would be worth it.

- Voss: He will probably want to stay in the media but they should try convince again to convince him to be an assistant.

Would love this guy, I have had worries about Warren Kofed for a while now.
Kofed was a failure at Richmond and hasn't been great for us.

I'm of the opinion that Simpson's position is the only one that's not under review, and that he is looking at all aspects of the team to find weaknesses and areas to improve. This could mean moving on assistant coaches or other staff at the end of the year as well as the predicted player turnovers.

Remove this Banner Ad

Our assistant coaches :

Remove this Banner Ad

Back