Remove this Banner Ad

B: Morris Tiller Hargrave
HB:Callan Williams Griffin
C:Gilbee Cross Hill
HF:Murphy Lake Giansiracusa
F:Johnson Everitt Hahn
Rucks:Minson Boyd Cooney
Int from:Hudson Akermanis Ward Higgins Addison Harbrow Grant

Reckon Tiller just about proved himself finals time, could make a real good fullback.
Lake to CHF in event of no KPFtrading.
Everitt needs a try forward.
Josh Hill needs to start -if he maintains confidence will become a matchwinner.
Minson starting ruck, signs of Hudson's decline IMO.
Gilbee on wing, better able to kick 2 0r 3 goals a match, interchangeable with Griffin really.

I'm not sold on Tiller yet. I don't think we should be getting carried away with him. It would be nice if Everitt could have a breakout year and we wouldn't have to worry about a third tall in defence like Tiller.

Basically, if Tiller is in our best 22, I think he is the weak link (at the moment). Not saying he won't improve, but he was in and out (mostly out) of the side all year, so it's strange to see so many people having him in their best 22.

gilbs lake morris
addison williams hargs
griffen cross hill
johno murph higgins
aker skipper welsh

r: minson, boyd, cooney

i: hudson, gia, everitt, hahn

e: callan, ego, ward

Surprised Harbrow got hte most promisning or watever he one. I could see him winning some coaches award thing for his chasing but i dont think he is our most promising young player. Or was it a ploy to get guys like hill to work harder???

Hudson broke down this year and Im working on the theory that Minson will be required to do a lot more ruckwork this coming season, to nurse Hudson through to the finals in good shape.

Yeah thats fine if one of them breaks down, but i just can't see how you could put all three in the team at once. Either drop hudson or no Skipper thats what i think anyway.

Dont rate Gia?

Giansiracusa is clearly in our best 22.

My pick for best team in '09:

B: Morris Lake Callan
HB: Hargrave Williams Gilbee
C: Griffen Boyd Giansiracusa
HF: Murphy Hahn Higgins
F: Welsh Minson Johnson
R: Hudson Cross Cooney
I: Everitt Eagleton Hill Akermanis

Yes we will be forced to play with the smaller forward line simply because Johnson, Murphy, Welsh, Hahn, etc... are better than any of our young tall forwards. The reality is you pick your best 22!

Those unlucky:

Wight will miss simply because Williams is our key centre half back.

Skipper could perhaps play in front of Minson, but he wont.

Tiller could replace Hargrave or Welsh.

Addison is very stiff as he is probably as good if not better than Callan but Callan did a good job after Addison went down so deserves his spot.

Harbrow is a great player in my view but probably outclassed by the likes of Akermanis, Higgins, Eagleton and Hill.

O'Shea, Lynch and Stack wont get a look in next year.

Obviously then we have our 6 draftees from last year and a further 4 this year to top off the list of 40 players.

In reality though we will have injuries at times and then it is up to the coach whether he goes with a player like Harbrow or a Callan Ward to promote the youth.

Keep up the discussion.....

B Hargrave Lake Callan
HB Addison Williams Morris
C Gilbee Boyd Cross
HF Higgins Murphy Hahn
F Johnson Welsh Hill
R Minson Cooney Griffen
Int Hudson, Aker, Gia, Harbrow
Emg Tiller Ward Grant

Our best XXII for 2009...

B: Callan Lake Hargrave
HB: Morris Williams Gilbee
C: Griffen Boyd Addison
HF: Hahn Murphy Giansiracusa
FF: Higgins Grant Johnson
F: Hudson Cooney Cross

Int: Everitt, Hill, Minson, Harbrow

Emg (in order): Ward, Tiller, Boumann, Akermanis, Eagleton, Cordy, Welsh

Johnson is our goalsneak, and only for that reason he gets in over Hill, with Hill to phase him out over the season.

If Grant or Boumann can develop this season, our forward line will look a little like Sydney's 2005.

Grant/Boumann - Hall,
Hill - Micky O,
Murphy - O'Keefe...

ALSO - we need to get games into both Grant and Boumann, Buddy played heaps in year 1, so this notion to protect your key forwards is a little overated. Give them some games and lets see if the fellas can play...

Our best XXII for 2009...

B: Callan Lake Hargrave
HB: Morris Williams Gilbee
C: Griffen Boyd Addison
HF: Hahn Murphy Giansiracusa
FF: Higgins Grant Johnson
F: Hudson Cooney Cross

Int: Everitt, Hill, Minson, Harbrow

Emg (in order): Ward, Tiller, Boumann, Akermanis, Eagleton, Cordy, Welsh

Johnson is our goalsneak, and only for that reason he gets in over Hill, with Hill to phase him out over the season.

If Grant or Boumann can develop this season, our forward line will look a little like Sydney's 2005.

Grant/Boumann - Hall,
Hill - Micky O,
Murphy - O'Keefe...

ALSO - we need to get games into both Grant and Boumann, Buddy played heaps in year 1, so this notion to protect your key forwards is a little overated. Give them some games and lets see if the fellas can play...

You are right about giving the kids games and see what they can do, unfortunately though Eade will not simply drop Johnson, Murphy or Hahn. Welsh could be a little shaky though. I'd love to see Grant come out and play the entire season and kick as many goals as his name-sake some 18 yeras ago!

We have been playing the small forwards (with a couple of make-shift full forwards) over past seasons simply because we had an abundance of class midfielders that were simply better than our talls.

If I'm not mistaken weren't we the average tallest team in the AFL some 2 years ago?

Yet we still played the smaller forwards because they were better!

But I do stress again, that I would love to see a loaded forward line next year and beyond with 3 young tall fellas.

Cheers

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Backs Morris Lake Callan
Half Backs Hargrave Williams Gilbee
Centers Griffen Cross Aka
Half Forwards Hahn Murphy Gia
Forwards Higgins Skipper Welsh
Rucks Minson Boyd Cooney
Interchange Hudson Addison Johno Harbrow
Emergencies Hill Tiller Eagleton Everitt Grant

When you look at a possible best 22 you can see plenty of reason for optimism

Backs Callan Lake Morris
Half B Gilbee Williams Addison
Centre Griffen Cross Hill
Half F Hahn Murphy Johnson
Forw Higgins Minson Grant
Ruck Hudson Cooney Boyd

Interchange Harbrow Ward Tiller Giansiracusa Everitt Akermanis Eagleton Welsh

Which gives us 26 players with the only one that is speculative being Grant

Additional players for depth

Wight, Skipper, Boumann, Reid, O'Keefe and Wood.

That is a pretty good list and if we can have a good injury run plus get one or two off the list to make major improvement we will be a real contender.

Remove this Banner Ad

Our best 22, 2009

Remove this Banner Ad

Back