our best 22 come the start of 2014?

Remove this Banner Ad

Ok, that would be right I suspect. I have read quite a lot about him playing off HB but think far more suited to the positions you mention.

The more quality users in the team the better, and there is certainly no doubting that plus he has other top qualities too.

Yeah i noticed a lot of best 22's have BMac at HBF, I guess it's just a case of "he can kick, throw him at half back". Personally there are about 5 players I'd have playing HBF before BMac. He's much more suited to a wing role.

I think McKenzie looks slower than he is. Haven't seen him run down or beaten to the footy yet and never seen him rushed at all.

His lateral movement is exceptional and this offsets the lack of pace. He will sidestep frontal pressure and deliver by foot.

Some of his passes, particularly to Tarrant? at Etihad were top shelf.

He needs to play on the wing when on the ground.

Rd. 1

B: McMahon Thompson Hansen

HB: Mullett Grima Atley

C: Macmillan Ziebell Dal Santo

HF: Wells Petrie Harvey

F: Thomas Tarrant Black

Foll.: Goldstein Cunnington Bastinac

Int.: Gibson, McDonald, Adams

Sub.: Garner

Emerg: Jacobs Currie McKenzie

Notes:
-Tried to take fitness reports into consideration. Delaney, Daw and Harper fully fit all offer youth and speed in their respective positions. Delaney the best chance to play rd 1 of those.
-McDonald would be sub if it wasn't his debut.
-Really wanted to fit in Jacobs but Dal Santo comes in for Swallow now.
-Because of the above there's real competition to get into the latter midfield rotations with Jacobs, McKenzie, Greenwood, Dumont, Wright and Hine all good midfielders that are less likely to play rd 1 since the arrival of the other St. Nick.

with the list finalised my round 1 team would be this

B: Mullett Thompson Hansen
HB: McDonald Grima Atley
C: McKenzie Ziebell Dal Santo
HF: Harvey Tarrant Bastinac
F: Black Petrie Thomas
R: Goldstein Wells Cunnington
I: Greenwood Adams Gibson
S: Nahas

depth: Jacobs, Harper ,Garner, Wright, firrito, Anthony, macmillan, Daw, mcmahon, Delaney, Hine

swallow (inj)

Question for those of you with this backline:

What's the plan with Hansen? Will he play on the 3rd tall or will he be the spare man with, say, Atley taking the Tarrant/Black equivalent?

I think Delaney or Firrito will be there, or at least McMahon to play tall.

Question for those of you with this backline:

What's the plan with Hansen? Will he play on the 3rd tall or will he be the spare man with, say, Atley taking the Tarrant/Black equivalent?

I think Delaney or Firrito will be there, or at least McMahon to play tall.

Macmillan has the ability to play on those 3rd tall types.

Most teams have 3 193cm+ guys in the forward line. You'd be comfortable with JMac vs Darling/Gunston/Westhoff/Mayne/Edwards types every week?

He destroyed Gunston in the second Hawks game this year.

His biggest problem is that he can't hold tackles.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So from rd 23 2013 to rd 1 2014.
In: McMahon, Thompson, Grima, Dal Santo, Adams, McDonald
Out: L. Delaney, Firrito, Jacobs, McKenzie, Wright, Sierakowski

That was a very productive side that overcame a somewhat lacklustre Collingwood. These changes bring add class, grunt and experience.
Now I'm remembering how Firrito worked himself back into the game after being beaten from pillar to post. One of our best competitors and when composed can make things happen, could still play a part in our future.

IMO one of the factors that saw McMahon dropped was Hansen's ability to drift off his opponent and intercept/spoil. That was one of the things that McMahon was previously doing.

So from rd 23 2013 to rd 1 2014.
In: McMahon, Thompson, Grima, Dal Santo, Adams, McDonald
Out: L. Delaney, Firrito, Jacobs, McKenzie, Wright, Sierakowski

That was a very productive side that overcame a somewhat lacklustre Collingwood. These changes bring add class, grunt and experience.
Now I'm remembering how Firrito worked himself back into the game after being beaten from pillar to post. One of our best competitors and when composed can make things happen, could still play a part in our future.

I'd leave McKenzie in and drop Garner.

I might have to duck for cover once I post this, but i'm actually warming to the idea of Nahas finding a spot in our best 22 come Round 1, pending pre-season form of course. He's dangerous around goals.

Also, I have a little query over the new NAB Cup. Previously we had two shortened games, and three full-length matches for our best 22 and our depth to push their chances for selection in the season opener. Now, with just two games to prepare, and being so close to the start of the season, will it be just a dress rehearsal? Will the likes of Garner, McKenzie and Jacobs not get a serious run?

I might have to duck for cover once I post this, but i'm actually warming to the idea of Nahas finding a spot in our best 22 come Round 1, pending pre-season form of course. He's dangerous around goals.

Also, I have a little query over the new NAB Cup. Previously we had two shortened games, and three full-length matches for our best 22 and our depth to push their chances for selection in the season opener. Now, with just two games to prepare, and being so close to the start of the season, will it be just a dress rehearsal? Will the likes of Garner, McKenzie and Jacobs not get a serious run?
Yeah, I hate supporters that support our players and, last time I looked, Robbie is now one of our players. ;)

Actually, the question of if, when and where our 'depth' players get to play is fascinating. Previously there were a 2-3 players you'd think might be a bit stiff not to be in the side, but it is going to be really interesting to see how we manage the development, and possibly even the retention (ref: Keys) of players if they're good enough to play but aren't getting (enough) opportunities.

I would think it will be a similar approach to last year, giving the senior guys just one of the two games to tune up, playing the younger group of the best 22 for both, and then rotating all the players fighting for selection, especially with the extended interchange benches. I would expect those three to get plenty of game time as well as Currie, Nahas, Delaney, LMac, and Wright and hope to get a bit of a sighter of Wilkins, Wood, Brown, and Dumont.

In : Patch and B-Mac
Out : Levi and Robin

All the best with that bombres....

Good morning & thanks for responding.

You are probably right, I was only going by how well Levi Greenwood played against Essendon late this season. He may also get a decent crack at playing Andrew Swallow's role, with the skipper out indefinitely....but we'll have to wait and see. There's usually a bit of a left field/surprise selection, so I'm not sure whether or not Robin Nahas comes under this category, but I'd hazard a guess and say that he'll be given an early season opportunity to prove his worth.

Either way, I'm glad it's the coaching staff & not us that have to pick the team for round one!

Lou, TC, Olly.
xx

Nahas is an interesting one, could easily work his way into our best 22 given our relative weakness in that area but I think most rate him as depth because he came from Richmond and we rate our own very highly

any realistic appraisal of the season just passed and the Reasonable Fan says
Adams
He contributes to Wins but he is conspicuous by his absence in our Losses

Consider this:
Seems unable to play a full game at Peak Intensity
One vigorous tackle followed by visits to the bench
And misses at least as many shots as he gets

statistically speaking
Man Most Likely to be injured (apologies Nathan)
I look forward to Garner taking his spot

my best team for round 1

B: Hansen, Thompson, McMahon
HB: McDonald, Grima, Mullett
C: Dal Santo, Wells, Atley
HF: Boomer, Taz, Adams
F: Thomas, Petrie, Black
Foll: Goldy, Cunnington, Ziebell
Bench: Greenwood, Gibson, Bastinac
Sub: Jmac

Notes:
If McMahon doesn't get super fit like we all think/expect, then Jmac takes his spot with the sub role going to (pick 1 of) garner, harper, dumont, mckenzie, hine or jacobs.
I think its time with the depth we have in that half back line, to move Atley up the ground, that pace can be devastating when used in the correct part of the ground 80-90 meters from goal is where I feel he will have the biggest impact.
Also Adams cannot have a start to the year like he had last year, otherwise could find himself out for Garner or Harper.
When Swallow is fit and firing Greenwood goes out.

Remove this Banner Ad

our best 22 come the start of 2014?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back