Our Defence

Remove this Banner Ad

3 goals in a low scoring game, the porpus clearly won today.

Okay someone is trying to challenge Harris10.

Gibbo conceded one goal to a lace out chest buster from a clearance that Scarlet or Silvagni would not have stopped. Another one came from a shocking skill error turnover when Gibbo very reasonably took off up field to provide a link, whereas his squib opponent did not chase, choosing to sit back and wait for the gift goal. And the third goal was a snap out of a stoppage.

That was a break even contest at the most, but more likely a net win for us.

snrub is all over it. Didn't lose a one on one, Gibbo.

Dr owned by the opposition supporters, ahhhh the joy it always brings

Proving BigFooty as a microcosm (or macrocosm???) of our team on field... too many people sitting back and laughing while one of our own gets mauled by the opposition. How about a bit of team work and club spirit?

I reckon it shows that by far the best attributes a defender can have is a natural defensive brain and some mongrel. Speed, height, reach and all that physical stuff means jack if you aren't comfortable wrestling under a high ball with a machine like Bradshaw. Thompson gets off on it.

Gibson is shortish for his position, but his spoiling technique is outstanding and he jumps well. He rates himself too, which is crucial.

I'm not sure what either have to do to be rated. They'll only get better and this is the worst side they will play in. It won't get any harder.

:thumbsu: very well put,could you have a word to our defensive coaches please :D

Geez mate, you need to write Neil Craig a letter. Coz last time I heard, your entire game plan consists of flooding the defence and then mounting your attacks on the rebound.:thumbsdown:

Yep, because you would know all about our gameplan.

Geez mate, you need to write Neil Craig a letter. Coz last time I heard, your entire game plan consists of flooding the defence and then mounting your attacks on the rebound.:thumbsdown:

And therein lies the difference. Whatever you like to call our gameplan (in previous years I'd lean more towards flooding, this year it's definitely a more noticeable zone), it has always involved having numbers behind the ball and then running it hard when the turnover results. Yesterday, your side stacked numbers behind the ball, then kicked it as far away as possible to our defenders, and waited for it to come back.

Now I like your footy club, and I'm absolutely aware that you guys have been crippled by injuries this year. I'm also aware that even without the injuries, you probably don't have a top 8 list anyway, and a team with so few stars really can't afford to lose a Boomer Harvey and a Daniel Wells. None of that is your club's fault. And honestly, if you hadn't flooded to such an extent yesterday, it may well have been a 15 goal loss - and if avoiding that is what Laidley and the team set out to achieve then:

1) job done; and
2) fair enough if you don't think you can win a game, to try to limit the damage as much as possible so as not to shatter too much morale - and try to win again when your better players are back in a couple of weeks.

In no way do I mean to be one of those opposition fans who kicks you when you're down. But I don't think the way your side defended yesterday was that much to write home about, given that it was really the weight of numbers, combined with difficult conditions, rather than good 1 on 1 defending, courageous acts, better reading of the play etc that kept the score down. Similarly, I don't think we actually defended that well - our game against Hawthorn was a much better defensive performance - because whenever our defenders had anything to deal with we had so many numbers in defence (in comparison to how many North forwards there were).

Now I have to be honest and say I don't make watching North a priority every week, but you guys are ranked #9 in the league for ppg conceded. Given where you're at generally, and your injuries etc, to be sandwiched between Sydney and Hawthorn in that stat is pretty good. I'm not saying your defence is crap, and I assume that generally speaking, yesterday isn't a true indication of your game style, otherwise you'd never win a game. So going by the numbers, I'd probably say you have a decent defence, and taking into account its youth, I'd say a pretty good and potentially excellent one. But I wouldn't say that based on what I saw yesterday.

But going by what's been said in this thread so far combined with what I saw yesterday, you probably only need a classy deliverer of a ball off half back (to complement someone like McMahon) and a bit more willingness to attack from the back to tick the 'defence' box, and focus on other areas of the team. FWIW I think Gibson did a superb job on Porps yesterday as well - nothing he could do about the snap or the rebound, and as for the one on the lead, you can be guaranteed Chris Knights will never deliver a ball like that again, especially on his right foot :eek:

^^^^^Jeez mate write a book about it.

Why would you have your University of Adelaide ID number as your username anyways? :thumbsdown:

^^^^^Jeez mate write a book about it.

Why would you have your University of Adelaide ID number as your username anyways? :thumbsdown:
He's taken the time and consideration to give us his two bobs worth, and even agree with us on some points.

Are you not aware of common courtesy? At least he isn't on here saying "Northz Gawn to da Gold Coazt" like some other goons. He seems like a knowledgeable poster who was willing to spare us his time to tell us what he thinks of our defence.

Jeez a fair bit of internet police getting around here lately. Neglecting "common courtesy" on the intrawebs? NEVER!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Our Defence

Remove this Banner Ad

Back