Our Depth is amazing and exciting!!

Remove this Banner Ad

SilkyKanga MKII

Debutant
Apr 22, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
One thing we are now starting to see really have an impact on our results is our depth. In the past we lose swallow or wells or harvey or petrie etc we cringe at the thought of who to bring in as cover! But now we have the likes of Pederson, Edwards (2 of our best players last season), McKinley and Black who are all excellent forward options.

We have Cunnington, Speight, McKenzie, Greenwood, Mullet, Garlett, Richardson who can all do a job through the midfield, half forward or half back.

Then we have the delaneys who have done a good job at certain stages so far, McIntosh to come back and Majak Daw who we hope will continue to develop.

We then have the likes of McKenzie who has only played 1 game, Sierkowski who is yet to debut but looks a solid player and players like Warren who has playwed enough senior football and ayden kennedy.

I can honestly say this is the first time in a while where i am struggling to find a really really weak link in our side. We have all had our players who we love to hate and who should never be in the team etc but i dont think we have the player on our list at the moment who makes us cringe when he gets near the ball. The consistency and eveness of our playing list at the moment is the best its been for a long time!

Here's to a very very successful few years coming up for the North Melbourne Football Club!!!

P.S Add Luke McDonald to our midfield rotation next year ! WOW!!

It helps when we can get 43 players on the park on any given weekend. I wonder if we would be as bullish about the depth if we copped 15 injuries.

In regards to list management, there is definitely some remaining work to be done. Come seasons end I'd be looking at adding at least 2 more quality young midfielders. Come draft day it's obvious Bryce Lewis is going to take best available regardless of what it is, as this has been his strategy for the past few years, and is paying dividends.

Pick 1 - Another goal kicking, flashy midfielder that can play forward is what I think is first on our list, one of Ben Kennedy or Troy Menzel if available would be ideal. I'd be willing to take the risk on Jake Stringer, slight risk, but if it pays off, he could become a dominant mid, capable of dropping forward and kicking big bags.
Pick 2 - This will be around the 30 mark, which should hopefully allow us to acquire another midfielder that has dropped a little further then expected. For example a Taylor Garner. (If Tanner Smith is still available then I'd use this on a KPD, and the 3rd pick on a mid).
Pick 3 - This will hopefully be around the 50 mark, and I'd like to pick up another young key position defender to develop, as these sort of players can and often do get picked up a lot later, I also say a KPD because I'm not sold on L.Delaney being our defensive general for the next 8 years, however I think C.Delaney is the goods, it would be good insurance to have another developing. Hard to really see how the draft plays out once it gets this late.

On top of this, the addition of Luke McDonald in the 2013 draft, and then we will be in a position where I claim our depth is amazing. However, at the moment there are just a few areas that need tweaking, which will be taken care of in the coming draft, to set our list up for the next 5-10 years.

I wouldn't say our depth is amazing at this stage. It has promise but we are only just in the 8 with a relatively full list.

We're getting better depth, but definitely need some more speed & elite kicking.

Interesting to see what happens with Edwards, HMac, Warren and Urqy at years end. Some guys may want to leave elsewhere for opportunity. I'm not convinced Warren is an AFL player.

It's gonna be an interesting off season, for all clubs.

Our depth will only be tested when we are hit with injuries. Considering we have had only one soft tissue injury this year is a credit to Steve Saunders and his medical team. However no club can plan for impact injuries and that is the real killer. Let's hope it stays the way it is.

When players are playing well at VFL level and pushing for selection and you have a relatively injury free list, then depth will aways look good. The real test of depth is when some of your best players are unavailable and others step up, we haven't really been in that position this year. It must also be remembered that we have the same depth now as we had v Hawthorn!!

Don't get me wrong, I DO believe we have great depth in our list, I just don't think it has been tested yet.

Our depth will only be tested when we are hit with injuries. Considering we have had only one soft tissue injury this year is a credit to Steve Saunders and his medical team. However no club can plan for impact injuries and that is the real killer. Let's hope it stays the way it is.
maybe we should be calling steve "the secret weapon"

No injuries may assist this depth....

KPP and flanker/small depth is excellent.

Overall midfield depth is ok. We'd struggle to cover Swallow's absence, it's very fortunate that he hasn't missed a game in 3yrs. Garlett has shown promise and would do a job, but he really hasn't been tested against a good, mature midfield in a heated game. I'd love for us to rookie Travis Tuck as a pure back-up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I bet the Bummers are Jealous ;)

nah they've got the WEAPON!!!

wile-e-coyote.png

Dons forgot to keep the instructions they got in the box he came in.

I agr
One thing we are now starting to see really have an impact on our results is our depth. In the past we lose swallow or wells or harvey or petrie etc we cringe at the thought of who to bring in as cover! But now we have the likes of Pederson, Edwards (2 of our best players last season), McKinley and Black who are all excellent forward options.

We have Cunnington, Speight, McKenzie, Greenwood, Mullet, Garlett, Richardson who can all do a job through the midfield, half forward or half back.

Then we have the delaneys who have done a good job at certain stages so far, McIntosh to come back and Majak Daw who we hope will continue to develop.

We then have the likes of McKenzie who has only played 1 game, Sierkowski who is yet to debut but looks a solid player and players like Warren who has playwed enough senior football and ayden kennedy.

I can honestly say this is the first time in a while where i am struggling to find a really really weak link in our side. We have all had our players who we love to hate and who should never be in the team etc but i dont think we have the player on our list at the moment who makes us cringe when he gets near the ball. The consistency and eveness of our playing list at the moment is the best its been for a long time!

Here's to a very very successful few years coming up for the North Melbourne Football Club!!!

P.S Add Luke McDonald to our midfield rotation next year ! WOW!!

I agree with most, but lets not get too carried away. We are one bad loss away from being back to reality and back out the top 8 or two good wins away from playing Essendon for 6th spot and a chance of a home final in round 6 which would be huge for the club.

Still a few players in our team need to improve dramatically if we are to win finals. Depth is good though. We have to be smart this year with our de listings and keep some good backup players while still trying to bring a couple good kids on the list. A recruit in the mould of Boak, Goddard or Cloke would be huge for us over the off season so let's see if we can get something done there.

I think its great the VFL is full of North players, but there appear to be 2 distinct groups. Group 1 are those kids who are developing and yet to impact at the senior level (which is what you would want) and group 2 that when given the opportunity are unable to grab it..consistently.
Im excited about the potential of group 1 and concerned about group 2.

I think its great the VFL is full of North players, but there appear to be 2 distinct groups. Group 1 are those kids who are developing and yet to impact at the senior level (which is what you would want) and group 2 that when given the opportunity are unable to grab it..consistently.
Im excited about the potential of group 1 and concerned about group 2.

I totally agree LLK, this perfectly sums up our list at the moment. It will be interesting to see what happens to the players from group 2 come seasons end.

Remove this Banner Ad

Our Depth is amazing and exciting!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back