List Mgmt. Our lack of Depth -worrying!

Remove this Banner Ad

I strongly believe we must get into this years draft. Only way is to trade out some favs. maybe Stuv and Ross (maybe more). I think we've recruited too many "vanilla" players. Not enough X factor, not enough speed (we are very slow) and not enough foot skills. Some big decisions have to be made, and some wont be great loosing some players, but lets face it, this list wont get us a flag. Trout has a list of "good blokes" not enough talent.

We would only recruit worse players who won't peak for 7 years. We need some drafting outside the obvious. Some of the indigenous talent were bargains and have added to teams, Ryan, Kelly and Garlett all very good cheapies that are ready made. trout wouldn't rate them though because they aren't dour back flankers or slow inside mids.

Not sure how trading you only player with pace and your best mid makes you better.

Yep very rarely does getting rid of your best players make you a better team. I'm not a smart man but that seems quite obvious.

(edited for games played)
Players not on the list in 2 years.

Armo
Gilbert
Brown
Lonie (41 games)
Wright (35 games)
Minch (28 games)
Dmac (21 games)

Pierce (1 games)
Rice (0 games)
Connellen (0 games)
Joyce (0 games)
Freeman (zero games)

Geary (maybe)
Phillips (maybe) (0 games)
Langlands (maybe) (0 games)
Paton (maybe) (0 games)

I'll continue to disagree with anyone who thinks we dont have a depth issue. Hope is not depth.

Last edited:
We would only recruit worse players who won't peak for 7 years. We need some drafting outside the obvious. Some of the indigenous talent were bargains and have added to teams, Ryan, Kelly and Garlett all very good cheapies that are ready made. trout wouldn't rate them though because they aren't dour back flankers or slow inside mids.
I can't see why we don't raid the bargain bin each year for a couple of years. Last years:Sam Gibson, Billy Hartung, Luke Hodge, Michael Tallia, Mitch Brown.
I'd be happy to pay one of our three 4th rounders this draft for any one of there blokes. Instant depth, all on 1 year contracts.

The paddy wagon is going to come good. So are a few of the other youngsters... this pressure situation that had been created by a large loss of on field talent WIll bring about future stars.

Think about the lesson each player is receiving each week. There is nowhere to hide.

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Tapatalk

I can't see why we don't raid the bargain bin each year for a couple of years. Last years:Sam Gibson, Billy Hartung, Luke Hodge, Michael Tallia, Mitch Brown.
I'd be happy to pay one of our three 4th rounders this draft for any one of there blokes. Instant depth, all on 1 year contracts.

why not James Stewart, plenty on here kept telling them he was one to go for then Essendon pounce. He's probably kicked more goals this year that the entire St Kilda team...only joking I think he's kicks 10 for the year but he looks better than most of our forwards. Hartung would have been obvious seeing we needed his type and could have ben a fill in if he didn't work out. Charlie Cameron went to a bottom 4 club even. We need some talent cheap, we burn most of our picks outside the first round.

why not James Stewart, plenty on here kept telling them he was one to go for then Essendon pounce. He's probably kicked more goals this year that the entire St Kilda team...only joking I think he's kicks 10 for the year but he looks better than most of our forwards. Hartung would have been obvious seeing we needed his type and could have ben a fill in if he didn't work out. Charlie Cameron went to a bottom 4 club even. We need some talent cheap, we burn most of our picks outside the first round.
They are there. Every. Single. Year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We have Austin and Goddard in the twos waiting for promotion, but Joyce was BOG for Sandy at the weekend and may have passed them. He looks to be an ideal replacement for Roberton. It remains to be seen if the Selectors have the guts to try him.

Our depth is the best it has been for a hell of a long time , however they are very young and need time to mature .
Backs - Roberton , Geary , Webster , Carlisle , Brown , White , Savage --- Austin , Goddard , Clavarino , Rice , Joyce , McKenzie

Mids -Steele , Steven , Stevens , Ross , Acres , Sinclair , Armitage , Newnes , Dunstan --- Phillips , Paton , Freeman , Coffield , Hunter , Langlands .

Forwards - McCartin , Bruce , Membrey , Gresham , Long , Billings , Weller ---- Battle

Rucks - Longer , Hickey , Marshall

A - GRADE - Have shown how good they can be
READY TO TAKE THE NEXT STEP - Hoping the step up this year
UNTAPPED TALENT - Any of these guys could develop to be future stars

our list is looking good , just not playing with any form , hope they gel soon , but have to expect up and downs with such a young squad

Our depth is the best it has been for a hell of a long time , however they are very young and need time to mature .
Backs - Roberton , Geary , Webster , Carlisle , Brown , White , Savage --- Austin , Goddard , Clavarino , Rice , Joyce , McKenzie

Mids -Steele , Steven , Stevens , Ross , Acres , Sinclair , Armitage , Newnes , Dunstan --- Phillips , Paton , Freeman , Coffield , Hunter , Langlands .

Forwards - McCartin , Bruce , Membrey , Gresham , Long , Billings , Weller ---- Battle

Rucks - Longer , Hickey , Marshall

A - GRADE - Have shown how good they can be
READY TO TAKE THE NEXT STEP - Hoping the step up this year
UNTAPPED TALENT - Any of these guys could develop to be future stars

our list is looking good , just not playing with any form , hope they gel soon , but have to expect up and downs with such a young squad

Our list is very average unfortunately. And our depth is worse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OK...

How many AFL standard players do we have playing at Sandy? Players who can play seniors on a decent level?

Answer that honestly and you'll get a true understanding of where our list is at.
Marshall was the only one anywhere near it based on last years. Then nothing.

Marshall was the only one anywhere near it based on last years. Then nothing.

Last year NOK, Lonie and the senior guys who spent time there all looked a class above then it's guys on Sandringhams list who usually look just below AFL level. Answerth etc all had good years. We don't have a lot of ready to play depth. When we played the Bulldogs it looked like close to their premiership team.

OK...

How many AFL standard players do we have playing at Sandy? Players who can play seniors on a decent level?

Answer that honestly and you'll get a true understanding of where our list is at.
Or.. You could ask, how many players on our list could we honestly say would demand a 1st or 2nd round dp in trade?
Rough Edges nailed it. We have terrible depth and no up and coming A grade youth.
This is after 5 years of rebuilding and development.
Lack of talent or development?
But we need to be in the bottom 3 (and not trade those picks) for the next 3 years to get the kind of talent in thats going to propel us into the top of the ladder.
If we want to get in quality experience to guide the youth. Then we need to look at retiring champs like Burgoyne and McVeigh. Players that dont cost dp's but come in and play/coach for a few years as we develop cause we have no leadership atm.

Last year NOK, Lonie and the senior guys who spent time there all looked a class above then it's guys on Sandringhams list who usually look just below AFL level. Answerth etc all had good years. We don't have a lot of ready to play depth. When we played the Bulldogs it looked like close to their premiership team.
Neither of those two are AFL standard.

We have depth of potential untapped talent and that is all.

Or.. You could ask, how many players on our list could we honestly say would demand a 1st or 2nd round dp in trade?
Rough Edges nailed it. We have terrible depth and no up and coming A grade youth.
This is after 5 years of rebuilding and development.
Lack of talent or development?
But we need to be in the bottom 3 (and not trade those picks) for the next 3 years to get the kind of talent in thats going to propel us into the top of the ladder.
If we want to get in quality experience to guide the youth. Then we need to look at retiring champs like Burgoyne and McVeigh. Players that dont cost dp's but come in and play/coach for a few years as we develop cause we have no leadership atm.

I reckon we have A grade potential players but potential doesn't win games. Acres, Billings, Gresham, Coffield and may be Clark all look pretty good. I think if members can get himself going he has potential to be an A grade player too, has only just hit 50 games.

Guys like Dunstan, Steele etc look just a bit below that standard and with Paddy there is always hope.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Our lack of Depth -worrying!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back