Bird Man

Premiership Player
Oct 4, 2010
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
76ers
Screen Shot 2022-02-26 at 6.07.37 pm.png

We can add Carlton to this list. Rebuild is on, if we wanted to "go again" would have traded for a decent mid or two. For all the media and pump up we did in pre-season that game against the blues was a disgrace.

Our midfield will get smoked in most games now Cotch, Edwards, Dion, lambert are cooked. Graham, Ross and the next wave of Mids are VFL "top up" tier level players.

Laughing in the pre-season, how about now Tiger71 tigerfan1961 Nebular Dr Tigris ???

I said it after a few performances last year we won't play finals & we didn't...

I don't think we play finals this year either because we didn't address our issues with our midfield our club is blinded by what they've done in the past in big games but if you look at even our winning flags during the year we got beaten in a lot of key statistics.

The Data has been there for a fair while.

I have a solution Adam Cerra, oh that's right we had him on a platter but didn't think he was good enough. He made our mids look like bags of manure, single handedly smashed us. Good on him, he would have been a great addition.
We couldn't afford what the Blues were willing to pay. Cap is still pretty tight until a few more retire, and once they do we're probably better off hitting the draft anyway.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I said it after a few performances last year we won't play finals & we didn't...

I don't think we play finals this year either because we didn't address our issues with our midfield our club is blinded by what they've done in the past in big games but if you look at even our winning flags during the year we got beaten in a lot of key statistics.

The Data has been there for a fair while.

Richmond have always been a negative midfield because we have such great intercept defenders and have always player an aggressive game. Guys like Cotchin, McIntosh, Grimes, Rance and Vlastuin are all extremely core-strong and have always bullied their opponents in one on one contests - whilst our back 6 have been great intercept markers. Combine this with aggressive manning on the mark, etc and that built the Richmond game plan. However, these elements have been taken out of the game by rule changes/umpiring/6-6-6.

Richmond hasn't adapted. Rance is gone, Vlastuin/Grimes/Cotchin rarely take the field together and as whole our "negative" gameplan has failed. Peeling numbers off the clearance in hope of a turnover isn't a productive tactic modern day as shown recently by the Dogs and Dees (even Blues tonight). It's gone full circle to where you need to win it at the coal face.

We have a 2 great coal face mids in Martin and Prestia. Problem is Prestia is a part time footballer these days. Cotchin has lost any pace but was excellent as an "enforcer" back in our premiership times. Graham is too slow and is always the defensive mid, which leaves the cupboard bare for genuine clearance mids. A Shane Tuck - despite his flaws - would be gold for this current team.

Richmond adapted in the 2020 bubble finals where guys like Edwards went into the midfield and they played out of their minds, but our mids are older, slower and their just isn't the next generation of talent coming through. Dimma is a very good coach, but he needs to acknoledge our faults, and find away around this or otherwise this could be a very long year

When dion plays as evident tonight we’re a bloody good side

When he’s out we’re bang ordinary in the guts
Blues ate us up inside
Dusty doesn’t have a defensive bone in his body, Cotch is nearly gone. Take out Graham who’s a work horse and we are hollow in the guts. We need to go hard for Taranto or someone of that ilk

Fu@$ken amen!!!!!!!!! I was calling for this last year. Both looked old, slow and pathetic tonight.
Yeah like their champions & we love them and will always know what they've done for the club this sort of shit is what holds back clubs by letting them play on too long.

I have a solution Adam Cerra, oh that's right we had him on a platter but didn't think he was good enough. He made our mids look like bags of manure, single handedly smashed us. Good on him, he would have been a great addition.
Would you give up Gibcus & Sonsie + $700k for Adam Cerra ?

I certainly wouldnt

Would you give up Gibcus & Sonsie + $700k for Adam Cerra ?

I certainly wouldnt

Yes, I would.

You're either tanking, or going for it. That should be how we see each season. Cerra is a gun now. Bona fide gun. Gibcus and Sonie may turn out to be, but when they do, Martin, Grimes, Cotchin, Riewoldt, Lynch, Edwards, Nank, will be gone.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back