Our Midfield

Remove this Banner Ad

No I wouldn't but I would have tapped Cotch & Jack on the shoulder and called it quits.

I wouldn’t have. They were a bit fumbly but not the problem.

We haven’t drafted enough inside midfielders, and only two with any physical presence. The list is carrying too many small forward and flankers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Houli got the tap on the shoulder and he was not on much money, yeah i thought done as well but it would have been a lot better value keeping him on than Cotchin imo

Kennedy is 190/90 and also killed us. Our midfield is too SMALL. Period. Sick of reading that size doesn't matter, when our guys get brushed off with ease and destroyed at the contest.

What about RCD? The guy is 193/90, but can't get a game. Not sure if this is because he's just bad (probably given it's now year 4/5?) or the match committee just don't like him

Yes, I would.

You're either tanking, or going for it. That should be how we see each season. Cerra is a gun now. Bona fide gun. Gibcus and Sonie may turn out to be, but when they do, Martin, Grimes, Cotchin, Riewoldt, Lynch, Edwards, Nank, will be gone.
When we were winning average players looked like guns and Carlton were good tonight but i would have
Kennedy , Cripps , Hewett ahead of Cerra tonight

Getting Cerra would have been "Going for it now" as you phrase it and wouldnt have made any difference to our club tonight
Cerra would'nt have helped our rebuild for after the players you mentioned any better

We selected 5 top kids and was the right thing to do

When we were winning average players looked like guns and Carlton were good tonight but i would have

Getting Cerra would have been "Going for it now" as you phrase it and wouldnt have made any difference to our club tonight
Cerra would'nt have helped our rebuild for after the players you mentioned any better

Perhaps instead of 2 HBFs with good picks we could have taken any of the several big mids still available?

Agreed to disagree. Cerra is both developed enough to help with the "win now" 28+ group, and young enough to help the next core of Bolton, Balta, Baker, etc. He seemed the perfect target

We should be learning from the blueprint of what not to do which is the mistakes of Hawthorn under Clarko since 2016.

Ego is a big thing though and guys who have done it before always think they can do it again. We're not that far off it this year but I don't want to see us fall in the same trap as it's a long, long way back.

We should be learning from the blueprint of what not to do which is the mistakes of Hawthorn under Clarko since 2016.

Ego is a big thing though and guys who have done it before always think they can do it again. We're not that far off it this year but I don't want to see us fall in the same trap as it's a long, long way back.
The amount of press we did in the pre-season had us thinking we are contenders again when reality we fell of the cliff last year

I wouldn’t have. They were a bit fumbly but not the problem.

We haven’t drafted enough inside midfielders, and only two with any physical presence. The list is carrying too many small forward and flankers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All we have since 2018 is draft inside midfielder.

Our morons in charge of development have decided to develop them on the outside or refuse to give them games. Take Bolton/Martin/Edwards, naturally with age Edwards will be spending less time on ball, Dusty will seemingly play the Dusty role, we don't need Bolton also playing that same role if we can't win the bloody ball. There was period of games last season where Bolton was averaging 25, a goal a game and was up there in the league in centre clearances. Something has to give, we don't have the luxury of playing all three of those guys outside of the packs, praying on the loose 50/50 balls.

Also funny how so much is made of RCD not getting enough touches or being defensively weak yet that could apply to pretty much every single midfielder who played tonight but they won't be held to the same standard despite having played many more games. With more game time that should improve for RCD, the same can't be said for others like Aarts.

Cotchin is done
Prestia is getting big coin to play one quarter every 4 weeks
Martin is just going
Lambert is done
Ross, RCD and Graham are spuds
Bolton is our only decent mid and Dimma didn't put him on the ball when we were getting flogged in the last qtr.
Time to play Sonsie and Dow in the midfield and let them settle in. We need to rebuild badly

I think RCD wasn't ready. Didn't play any preseason games. Mind you same with Jack Graham but he does have a lot of runs on the board. Aarts is a barometer of where we are at. If he's getting a game we're a bottom 8 side

On CPH1941 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Sorry, but nonsense.
We are for now .. we are not building for the future, our window is now and possibly only one more year.
Cerra would be critical for us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All we have since 2018 is draft inside midfielder.

Our morons in charge of development have decided to develop them on the outside or refuse to give them games. Take Bolton/Martin/Edwards, naturally with age Edwards will be spending less time on ball, Dusty will seemingly play the Dusty role, we don't need Bolton also playing that same role if we can't win the bloody ball. There was period of games last season where Bolton was averaging 25, a goal a game and was up there in the league in centre clearances. Something has to give, we don't have the luxury of playing all three of those guys outside of the packs, praying on the loose 50/50 balls.

Also funny how so much is made of RCD not getting enough touches or being defensively weak yet that could apply to pretty much every single midfielder who played tonight but they won't be held to the same standard despite having played many more games. With more game time that should improve for RCD, the same can't be said for others like Aarts.

Edwards was 2021 Edwards .. poor.

Sorry, but nonsense.
We are for now .. we are not building for the future, our window is now and possibly only one more year.
Cerra would be critical for us.
LOL Cerra would not have made any diffenece to tonights result

We were smashed in and contested possessions in the middle where Kennedy , Hewitt and Cripps smashed us when Prestia went off

I have a solution Adam Cerra, oh that's right we had him on a platter but didn't think he was good enough. He made our mids look like bags of manure, single handedly smashed us. Good on him, he would have been a great addition.
Smashed us last year too when playing for Freo. Prestia loss hopefully helps us find a key mid or two

On CPH1941 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Perhaps instead of 2 HBFs with good picks we could have taken any of the several big mids still available?
Clearly we rated the talent higher and we are yet to see Brown & Banks play and they look very exciting and capable players
Big inside mds are exactly what we need but they need to be quality.

We will most likely be targeting this player via free agency in the next 2-3 years

I don't think it is all doom and gloom with our midfield.

For starters Nank who is bang average most of the time couldn't have played much worse. He is more or less the barometer of the team these days when it comes to pressure around the ball and he laid one tackle and missed countless of others while given away a couple of dumb free kicks.

Graham was well underdone. Unsurprisingly given he had two weeks of training and no practice games in the lead up.

Prestia is a concern but you saw the difference he made while he was playing.

Bolton should be spending most of his time there and Dusty should be having a greater impact when playing there. Dusty isn't 100% right yet either, lacks confidence after his injury which is understandable.

Really need at least one of RCD, Dow and Ross to be given an opportunity and make the most of it. That changes the outlook completely even if its is only one of them.

I think the key however could be Pickett. He has the hardness and speed around the ball that we are missing with Cotchin on his last legs. I really think he could play the role Cotchin made his own during our peak. Cotchin showed signs at start of the third quarter and you could see the difference it made to our intensity around the ball.

If we find two players plus add Bolton to the mix the outlook changes completely. The cattle is there and we have recruited for it but its time to see if they sink or swim. The older guys have done their time and can reinvent themselves in other positions, its now time for the younger brigade to take the reigns.

we suck again GIF

I have a solution Adam Cerra, oh that's right we had him on a platter but didn't think he was good enough. He made our mids look like bags of manure, single handedly smashed us. Good on him, he would have been a great addition.
Yep instead we still have Caddy running around in our reserves barely getting a kick..

Operation Tom Green: Offer him 5 years contract
years 1,2- $450,000
years 3,4 and 5- $600,000 + incentives.
Will cost our 1st and 2nd round pick with something back from them or potentially a player who's surplus. The sad reality is RCD, Dow and Ross are average at best, Graham has one good game out of 5 and will struggle when he's not surrounded by class and god help us if in 2 years he's our 2nd best mid behind Bolton. Martin and Cumberland will be lucky to play 20 average games before going back to QLD.

Lambert, Prestia are so injury proned i wonder how many games they have left. Cotchin will finish up this year nothing surer. Our midfield cupboards are bare.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back