Our Most Important Player

Remove this Banner Ad

Mundy...... easily.

As for people's thoughts on our veterans - I have a strong suspicion that the backline may be tweaked a little this year. And Macca may spend a lot more time forward (his body may last longer as a deep forward). Thereby bringing on someone new as a regular like Smith as a defender. A major headache for oppositions would be three or four talls (Pav, Macca, Gumby, Mayne) with Ballas and Walters and dangerous offensive midfielders like the Fyfernator and Sylvia drifting through as well. Pressure on the aging Macca and Pav to perform would be reduced. MDB may be looking to find another position. Now we have a very strong defensive unit, it's time to look at kicking bigger scores to put games away much earlier.

McPharlin up forward hey? I am right in guessing that you have quite a significant hangover this morning? :D

Michael Johnson is an interesting one now, maybe not our most important player but a 195cm All Australian who's about the perfect loose man in defense and now mature enough to fill a given role as well. Certainly not one that can be replaced like for like.

Last edited:
McPharlin up forward hey? I am right in guessing that you have quite a significant hangover this morning? :D
Well, it's a theory PBL (maybe just musing a little). But in all truth, Macca was not so infallible toward the end of last season. And we all know he is quite capable of playing forward effectively. So why not? Our main downfall at the moment is kicking real big scores - and we also have the strength to cover a new young bloke introduced to a very solid defence.

What its based on is that Mcpharlin has never completed a full season his entire career and his durability has never been a strong point, he has struggled at the business end the last 2 seasons and is now 32. What I'm saying is by reducing his workload during the season we give him the greatest chance of making it to the finals fit and firing.

Pav probably doesn't need to be rested as much but I'd give him a couple of games off mid season to keep him fresh for the second half. Sandi is an unknown he hasn't played anywhere near a full season since 2010, he carries around 120kgs and is 31 again I think by reducing his workload we increase his chance having him fit for the finals.

I'm not pointing to Geelong, I'm suggesting we do this on our own accord. Implemented correctly this is the sort of thing that will change the way older players are managed throughout the league. Chances are you're right and it won't happen but hopefully the old lads make it through the season.

LOL, Your point is that McPharlin has never completed a full season? What does that have to do with him being a veteran then?

The fact is that he isn't being burnt out by the rigors of a full season, he has only missed games because he has been injured. Obviously none of his injuries could have been foreseen and they aren't related to the number of consecutive games he has played because last year he had 2 games off and still got injured in round 16. Unless you consider round 16 after missing two games already 'the business end of the season'.

Well, it's a theory PBL (maybe just musing a little). But in all truth, Macca was not so infallible toward the end of last season. And we all know he is quite capable of playing forward effectively. So why not? Our main downfall at the moment is kicking real big scores - and we also have the strength to cover a new young bloke introduced to a very solid defence.

I'd say that's debatable. His best year when he played as a full time forward he only kicked 34 from 19 games and he has only kicked 2 goals in the last 4 years.

Last year he had conceded 5 goals in his first 14 games playing on the best forwards in the league. I think we all know where his position is.

Mate, I would say there is virtually nil chance of Luke playing in the forward line ever again.
We have just recruited the people for that job.
Luke is an outstanding defender and an average forward at best. Gumby, Apeness, and A Pearce are the future KPF'S. ( Probably in that order ). We could throw in Michael Wood for that matter; Just cannot see Luke Mcpharlin forward again.

Michael Johnson is an interesting one now, maybe not our most important player but a 194cm All Australian who's about the perfect loose man in defense and now mature enough to fill a given role as well. Certainly not one that can be replaced like for like.

Not a bad nomination, as you say he wouldn't be in the top 2-3 most important but probably a top 5 player for us these days or just nudging it.

Very unique player, I have a fondness for talls who play like smalls. From memory he is a bloody good BB player, last year he just had the ball on a string; a tall Roger Hayden.

Just tried to list a top 5 most important players but then found I couldn't contain it to less than 10. Someone like Spurr is very hard to place for instance. Would our second or third most important defender be in the top 10? A quality role player like Spurr is probably more important than a star mid like Barlow IMO.

Great post pavsbootlace!

I like that Ballas has been nominated, but he is in partnership with Mayne - they are like the Navy Seals of our forward line together. If one goes out, it hurts us big time, perhaps as much as a key mid or key def missing a game.

Pavlich, McPharlin and Sandilands are great to have, but not necessary. We can win without them and we have proven that. In fact Zac generally gets the number one forward, and Johnson is one of our most effective users of the ball, so I think Johnson is now more important than Elvis.

Fyfe, Mundy, Hill, - they are the ones that get tagged, but we have such strength in the midfield with the Pearce twins, and a host of players that rotate through. Hill is our most effective ball user, and hence he gets tagged every week. It will be interesting this year.

Going in to the 2014 season, the player that I would hate to miss a critical match would be Fyfe (assuming we had most of our list available). By that I mean we have a number of rucks to do the job, our forward line gets enough opportunities to win matches (including the GF). We win a high percentage without the almighty Pav, and our defensive unit holds down the best attacking teams when we are depleted.

Mate, I would say there is virtually nil chance of Luke playing in the forward line ever again.
We have just recruited the people for that job.
Luke is an outstanding defender and an average forward at best. Gumby, Apeness, and A Pearce are the future KPF'S. ( Probably in that order ). We could throw in Michael Wood for that matter; Just cannot see Luke Mcpharlin forward again.

Taberner in there surely.

There is no way MacPharlin is playing forward unless something drastic happens. Lyon coaches the players to play specific roles, and so far MacPharlin has not trained as a forward. It is as simple as that.

Zac Dawson is more likely to play forward than MacPharlin, especially if we are playing against a team with no power forwards (eg Carlton).

Taberner in there surely.

There is no way MacPharlin is playing forward unless something drastic happens. Lyon coaches the players to play specific roles, and so far MacPharlin has not trained as a forward. It is as simple as that.

Yeah Taberner should be there but I was referring to who we have just picked up; forgetting that we have just elevated Tabs off the rookie. mybad.

Yeah Taberner should be there but I was referring to who we have just picked up; forgetting that we have just elevated Tabs off the rookie. mybad.

Yeah I assumed it was an oversight. It starts to look okay for us if Gumbleton stands up, which is obviously not a given at this early stage. Out of Taberner, Apeness, Peake, Moeller and Hannath we should be able to jag another player who can have an impact in the forward line, and down back I would hope that either Smith or Peake (again) could develop into a decent player for us. Some big boys there with good marking ability and mobility.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Im gonna go a bit out of the box here, but I think Ibbotson and C. Pearce are two of our most important players. When they are in the half back line I'm a lot more confident then if they are not. Both Strong defensively and equally adept at setting up attacks, if they both played on GF day, I believe we would have one.

STRUCTURALLY it has to McPharlin.

• Clearly in the top 2 or 3 CHB's of his generation, against some stiff opposition.
  • Backline General calling the shots on field, (now ably assisted by Dawson)
  • 70-80% of the time takes the #1`forward and AT LEAST breaks even or dominates.
  • sets up so much of our run out of defence, if not personally, but by telling who to go, and when.
  • not afraid to go for the big grab in defence, because HE CAN. Not many other KPD's anywhere can claim that.
  • we always look significantly weaker without him in the team. Silvagni is just meh in comparison, MJ is not a KPD's dinger, but Tanner appears to be showing something, along with that new lad A. Pearce. Time will tell.
  • I'm guessing that he has more "on ground" time than just about any of our other players when he is match fit, which goes to his importance.
  • Can drift forward in a pinch. (But whoever claimed earlier that this may be a permanent move this year has formally "left the reservation").
Just my opinion, as I am yet to lean over the fence and annoy trainers and players - nor have I subscribed to Coulda's mind-reading and psychic intuition newsletter.

STRUCTURALLY it has to McPharlin.

• Clearly in the top 2 or 3 CHB's of his generation, against some stiff opposition.
  • Backline General calling the shots on field, (now ably assisted by Dawson)
  • 70-80% of the time takes the #1`forward and AT LEAST breaks even or dominates.
  • sets up so much of our run out of defence, if not personally, but by telling who to go, and when.
  • not afraid to go for the big grab in defence, because HE CAN. Not many other KPD's anywhere can claim that.
  • we always look significantly weaker without him in the team. Silvagni is just meh in comparison, MJ is not a KPD's dinger, but Tanner appears to be showing something, along with that new lad A. Pearce. Time will tell.
  • I'm guessing that he has more "on ground" time than just about any of our other players when he is match fit, which goes to his importance.
  • Can drift forward in a pinch. (But whoever claimed earlier that this may be a permanent move this year has formally "left the reservation").
Just my opinion, as I am yet to lean over the fence and annoy trainers and players - nor have I subscribed to Coulda's mind-reading and psychic intuition newsletter.

Welcome back PB.

Zac Dawson is more likely to play forward than MacPharlin, especially if we are playing against a team with no power forwards (eg Carlton).

Zac has had several brief stints up forward already under Lyon, from memory McPharlin hasn't gone up there once. Hopefully we'll never need either up there again though and with our recent recruiting it's impossible to see it happening (in game injuries permitting).

Well if you have a look at the nasty stuff happening on the North Melbourne board, you might change your mind and consider Ryan Crowley our most important. Could someone please explain the etiquette of commenting on another team's board. It would be very much appreciated. Apologies for derailing the thread but I don't know how to start a new one.

I honestly wouldn't even go over there and try and discuss Crowley with them, you'll be permabanned from there within seconds.

This is likely the case on all team boards though haha

Reg has a nice post on Bay 13 at present with Brent Harvey sporting "Crowleys Bitch" across his back.

I recommend that this be posted on their board.

Not really

Remove this Banner Ad

Our Most Important Player

Remove this Banner Ad

Back