• Hardwick

• Schofield

• Buckley

• Montgomery

• Other

• Carr

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

With all the talk of Bucks lately it does need to be mentioned that if Carr doesn't take over after a handshake deal that kept him out of the Richmond job, that's a ****ing slimy way to treat a Port legend.

And no this isn't a criticism of us looking outside, but a criticism of the idiotic decision to ever try to make a succession plan with a failed coach in the first place, rather than just giving him the job if we thought he was up to it.
I'm not convinced the 'succession plan' was ever real tbh there's too much mixed messaging, I'm not sure why Caro talking handshake deals is considered as bankable she's gotten things wrong before & quite honestly been fed bullshit for other agendas.

Carr expressing doubt about being ready & his family preferring to live in Adelaide could just as well be the main reason he pulled out of the Richmond job.

I’m starting to think that the Josh Carr “succession plan” was just a back-up plan and an easy way out if things went to shit.

They were happy for Hinkley to continue, but if it went wrong then they had a very easy way out.

I’m starting to think that the Josh Carr “succession plan” was just a back-up plan and an easy way out if things went to shit.

They were happy for Hinkley to continue, but if it went wrong then they had a very easy way out.
Wouldn't put it past the club to do this!

With all the talk of Bucks lately it does need to be mentioned that if Carr doesn't take over after a handshake deal that kept him out of the Richmond job, that's a ****ing slimy way to treat a Port legend.

And no this isn't a criticism of us looking outside, but a criticism of the idiotic decision to ever try to make a succession plan with a failed coach in the first place, rather than just giving him the job if we thought he was up to it.
They moved to Adelaide for his wife's family. They were not going to just suddenly pick up and move to Melbourne.

Here...https://www.afl.com.au/news/843223/dockers-shuffle-coaching-roles-as-carr-heads-home-to-port

They moved to Adelaide for his wife's family. They were not going to just suddenly pick up and move to Melbourne.

Here...https://www.afl.com.au/news/843223/dockers-shuffle-coaching-roles-as-carr-heads-home-to-port
If its this clear why would he have been involved in the Richmond process to begin with?

Yea I’m not sold on Bucks . Carr it’s hard to say because as we’ve seen tha assistans get dragged along with the head coach a bit .
I reckon Justin Leppitsch would go alright of the available ( he’s probably under contract at the Pies )

As far as Josh Carr, I wouldn’t be too sentimental, he walked out on Port a day after the 04 Grand Final and sentiment won’t bring us success.
We need to get the best available in Australia.

As far as Josh Carr, I wouldn’t be too sentimental, he walked out on Port a day after the 04 Grand Final and sentiment won’t bring us success.
Didn't Josh only leave so he could play alongside his brother at Freo? And I thought he came back to Port once his brother stopped playing. I really didn't have a problem with that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Didn't Josh only leave so he could play alongside his brother at Freo? And I thought he came back to Port once his brother stopped playing. I really didn't have a problem with that.

How I remember it. Also pretty sure he's on record saying at the time if we hadn't won the flag in 2004 he wouldn't have left as there was still unfinished business.

For some reason of all my memories from the 2004 Granny, a banner in the crowd "Josh - Don't Nick out on us" is one of them.

Its not about sentiment though its about bad business practice. The way we've routinely scapegoated assistants to protect Hinkley has meant that no decent assistants are willing to consider Port. Now we're a club whose word means nothing either to potential head coaches. Its amateur hour.

I'm not convinced the 'succession plan' was ever real tbh there's too much mixed messaging, I'm not sure why Caro talking handshake deals is considered as bankable she's gotten things wrong before & quite honestly been fed bullshit for other agendas.

Carr expressing doubt about being ready & his family preferring to live in Adelaide could just as well be the main reason he pulled out of the Richmond job.

From what I heard a day ago it won’t be Carr anymore. Train didn’t even land at the station.

Perhaps it was a thing but the way the Ken situation is playing out it makes you wonder if that buggered it all up for them.

Not sure on Buckley but keeps Port in the news as he is a big name in Melbourne + the Port fairytale link.

I’m sure Carr will stay, piss the rest off.

If we don’t interview Buckley, Sumich, Cox, Pyke, Dew, Graham, Hansen, Schofield, Carr, Reeves, Bruce, Leppitsch, Bolton, Skipworth, Tudor, Caracella, Lappin, Egan, Harvey, Varcoe and Mark Williams we are doing ourselves a disservice.

Let’s be bold, be brave, get the feel on them all and see where they think we are at, what they would do and who they would bring in. See how they see the game progressing and transitioning moving forward.

If we don’t interview Buckley, Sumich, Cox, Pyke, Dew, Graham, Hansen, Schofield, Carr, Reeves, Bruce, Leppitsch, Bolton, Skipworth, Tudor, Caracella, Lappin, Egan, Harvey, Varcoe and Mark Williams we are doing ourselves a disservice.

Let’s be bold, be brave, get the feel on them all and see where they think we are at, what they would do and who they would bring in. See how they see the game progressing and transitioning moving forward.
I'm not across how the process normally goes for a senior coach position but 21 interviews seems like way too many. I would've thought that number would be 5 at most. Maybe a few more phone calls but we aren't having 21 candidate going through a formal process.

Most candidates aren't going to want to go through a process unless they feel like they are a genuine chance of getting the job, but if you are 1 out of 21 it really shifts those goal posts and we would be probably doing ourselves a disservice with a scatter gun approach. I reckon many candidates would pull out of the race if we conducted it that way.

And Choco? Carn, maybe back as a development coach or coach of the SANFL team but formally interviewing him for the Senior Coach job is crazy.

Last edited:
Yeah it's not talked about enough how badly Bucks was shafted at Collingwood.

List management was horrendous, with Ned Guy resigning after signing Dayne Beams and Brodie Grundy on billionty dollar contracts which forced their 2021 fire sale.

I'm not across how the process normally goes for a senior coach position but 21 interviews seems like way too many. I would've thought that number would be 5 at most. Maybe a few more phone calls but we aren't having 21 candidate going through a formal process.

Most candidates aren't going to want to go through a process unless they feel like they are a genuine chance of getting the job, but if you are 1 out of 21 it really shifts those goal posts and we would be probably doing ourselves a disservice with a scatter gun approach. I reckon many candidates would pull out of the race if we conducted it that way.

And Choco? Carn, maybe back as a development coach or coach of the SANFL team but formally interviewing him for the Senior Coach job is crazy.
All Don’t have to be sit down, 3 hour long interviews with 14 people… Stewart Dew may never want to coach again, Darren Reeves may not want to leave Adelaide, Mark Williams may not be able to relocate back to Adelaide for Health Reasons? But you still engage them and have a chat, cross pollinate and see if there is any IP to be obtained.

Koch, Tredrea and ?Simon Madden? Head up the coaching panel to find whom is next.

Back