Our next coach

Who should be our next coach?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn’t catch all of it unfortunately

It was more about the tone of what he was putting forward, saying that he'd spoken a a Carlton 'person' who spoke about North being a community club whilst Carlton still sees themselves as having to get the biggest and best for the perception of being a big club.

Maher clearly heard more and to my ear, didn't like what he'd heard.
He did come across strongly as being a Teague fan so maybe that clouded the rest of his comments.

I understand what the CFC are doing and I can't be totally against it, other than for the formation of the panel and the lack of checks and balances getting to that point.....but I'll leave that there because I may have said it once before.

Do not be surprised if Ross Lyon is appointed as coach next season. The jungle drums are beating at the Dockers that they want him out, but do not want to pay out his contract. Personally i hope we stick with Teague, but this is the Carlton Board we are talking about.

Bloody hell Moody ... that’s nightmarish you’re making me Moody o_O

To the extent that process is important, waiting until the end of the year to interview Teague is good for Teague. Gives him the maximum opportunity to see what works and what doesn't, and formulate plans to put forward and discuss in the interview.

That said, this is Carlton, so it's hard to say how important the process really is.

Paul Roos still publicly putting himself in the running for some form of gig at Carlton. This weeks OTC comment on Carlton
“I’m an ex Carlton supporter so I’m a bit bias”

On Walsh
“I love the way they have managed him”

On Teague
“I love the way he is handling it”

Paul Roos still publicly putting himself in the running for some form of gig at Carlton. This weeks OTC comment on Carlton
“I’m an ex Carlton supporter so I’m a bit bias”

On Walsh
“I love the way they have managed him”

On Teague
“I love the way he is handling it”
Obviously he thought we’d come knocking. Maybe we haven’t. And he’s starting to get worried coz he’s not gonna get paid a gazillion dollars to be the saviour

I heard Timmy on SEN this morning say he thinks Scott will end up being our coach!!!

That sent cold shivers through me.

yep, I heard that too.

He also said:
Ratten will get saints job (despite a small sample so far)
Shaw will get the North job (despite 3 losses on the trot)

So does Watson rule out Teague despite a 5-2 record so far?

Unbelievable.

yep, I heard that too.

He also said:
Ratten will get saints job (despite a small sample so far)
Shaw will get the North job (despite 3 losses on the trot)

So does Watson rule out Teague despite a 5-2 record so far?

Unbelievable.

Isn’t that the same dude that coached StKilda to F-all??

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It was more about the tone of what he was putting forward, saying that he'd spoken a a Carlton 'person' who spoke about North being a community club whilst Carlton still sees themselves as having to get the biggest and best for the perception of being a big club.
It makes Maher a bit of a twit then. And yes he is a word machine and lots of vaccuous nonsense comes out.

We just had Bolton. Yeah real big club mentality there.......not.

The newly appointed member of the Board has quite strong links to Hawthorn. Did their tribunal stuff. Knows Clarko and past Presidents very well. Wouldn't surprise if there is a strong push behind the scenes to snag him. If that fails, Teague has to be the man!

Chris Townshend?

Yep.

It's a long shot, but I reckon they'll be going pretty hard. As they say, you don't want to die wondering. Odds are he'll probably stay at the Hawks...but I reckon they'll throw the kitchen sink at him and see what transpires. No chance Clarko's manager would say anything different.

Just posted this above - 'Clarko's manager shuts down Carlton speculation'.

after Windhover put the blade through MM - before, during and after his tenure (confidently, accurately & impressively) I'd love to know his thoughts here

Until the Ess game I was happy enough with BB. It seemed to me he had the support of the players and was still getting something out of them individually, if the collective impact was not impressive. I thought we should wait until the end of the year as there would be no point getting in a caretaker to continue the year as it had been up to the Ess game. This was dispite the fact that I thought we should win 10 games in 2019 and was hugely disappointed by our woeful performances.

After the Ess game I left the MCG vowing not to bother turning up to another game. Ess were hopeless and turned the ball over so many times in the first half we should have been miles in front. Farcically we turned the ball over right back. Cripps was beaten by a no name 2 gamer and looked completely lost as to what to do.

It was, in other words, clear after the Ess game, that the players and the coach were not only not on the same page, they were not reading the same book. I thought the CFC picked the timing of BB's departure perfectly.

I went to the BB game and it was clear from the outset of the match (which we started badly on the scoreboard) that we nevertheless were playing with a new found sense of purpose and intent. We won the game because the umpires permitted Ed to cuddle Neale for the whole of the second half (after the opening bounce). But we would not have won if we had not played with a sense of belief, purpose and fluency of ball movement.

Every week we seem to have improved here or there. The most significant improvement IMO has come from Setterfield. He is being used as an outside mid. The players know to look for him when they win the ball in the contest and Settterfield has the skill to know where to be to receive the ball. Against the Crows we started to see SPS running to make position to receive from Setterfield now knowing that when the ball is shot out to WS he will quickly look for nearby options to pass on to. This is the sort of teamwork that, with talented players, will grow exponentially.

The game against the Crows was easily our most impressive game. We won all 4 quarters deservedly. We were monstered by the umpires (I admit to unsavoury booing of the umps as they left the ground at the end of the game - along with most fans on the Yarra side of the ground).

Teague is both the architect of our recent success and the beneficiary of the hard yards put in by BB. At this stage he has shown he can get the players to play to their strengths and avoid their weaknesses. This is the SOLE purpose of a game plan, surprisingly overlooked by coaches who get locked in to thinking a particular strategic approach is very clever even when it requires players to play in ways they are not comfortable with. I am happy to wait to the end of the year before appointing him coach but think he should be in the box seat for now. It is obvious the players like him and respect him. He seems to have good ideas - like his use of Setterfield and SPS- to get the best out of players. A new coach, like Michael Voss, would have to start relatively from scratch. I don't see the point if Teague ticks all the boxes at the end of the year. Simple is best.

Here endeth the epistle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back