Coach Our next senior assistant

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 12, 2007
The Hills
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
It seems like we are getting Carr whether we like it or not.

The big question then that might have the biggest impact in regards to coaching is who do we get as his senior assistant.

No doubt CD is just trying to decide between Goldsack, Chad and Hartlett but I have hopes that Tredders will have an impact here.

Who would you like to see?

I know many here would hate it but I'd be happy with Choco.

Outside of that Buckley or Dew.

Id love Rahilly but apparently he didn't love Adelaide.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

It seems like we are getting Carr whether we like it or not.

The big question then that might have the biggest impact in regards to coaching is who do we get as his senior assistant.

No doubt CD is just trying to decide between Goldsack, Chad and Hartlett but I have hopes that Tredders will have an impact here.

Who would you like to see?

I know many here would hate it but I'd be happy with Choco.

Outside of that Buckley or Dew.

Id love Rahilly but apparently he didn't love Adelaide.

In order, Buckley, Dew, Choco.

If It were up to me I would have Buckley as head coach with Dew as an assistant and Choco as player management.

Really?

what makes Buckley or Dew likely to succeed with us when they couldn’t previously?

Firstly I am only using the 3 people that were mentioned by ET.

Buckley has had the most difficult job as an AFL coach, coaching the biggest club in the country, having to deal with Eddie and Malthouse and the largest supporter base. His coaching experience and the knowledge of the expectations of Port Adelaide and it's members is valuable.

Dew was unlucky to adopt a club that could not keep it's star players, I feel he was making inroads and together with Buckley imo we could get results, he also knows what it takes to win a flag and also was here when Choco was coach so he also knows the expectations.

Mark Williams is the best in the business when it comes to player development and management.

Firstly I am only using the 3 people that were mentioned by ET.

Buckley has had the most difficult job as an AFL coach, coaching the biggest club in the country, having to deal with Eddie and Malthouse and the largest support base. His coaching experience and the knowledge of the expectations of Port Adelaide and it's members is valuable.

Dew was unlucky to adopt a club that could not keep it's star players, I feel he was making inroads and together with Buckley imo we could get results, he also knows what it takes to win a flag and also was here when Choco was coach so he also knows the expectations.
I don't know. I want someone who has played and been an assistant coach around winning premiership sides with great culture. Someone who is fresh and energetic. Definitely someone who has no link to the Hinkley era.

Buckley's last days were as rotten as Hinkley's and the squad he had access to, proved to be a very good one under McRae.

Let's find someone better.

Better get the Ray Bans off and put on the Tupperware sunnies.
We ain’t getting no big name assistants.
There is Buckley’s hope of Buckley leaving Melbourne to put up with the Adelaide Bogan media circus.
Will end up with Jed coaching the forward lines and some similar planks for midfield and defense.
Bringing back Williams is like bringing back KC and the sunshine band, well past the use by date.
Williams would still want to take over everything and be more trouble than good.
I just can’t see this administration getting anyone who doesn’t fit into there boys club mentality.
Anyway this most probably won’t happen till 2026 season as I can’t see these dills paying Ken out.

I don't know. I want someone who has played and been an assistant coach around winning premiership sides with great culture. Someone who is fresh and energetic. Definitely someone who has no link to the Hinkley era.

Buckley's last days were as rotten as Hinkley's and the squad he had access to, proved to be a very good one under McRae.

Let's find someone better.
Yeah I hear you, it might be getting to to the point of desperation of wanting change. The club should do it's due diligence and find the best person for the job, that's the professional way to go about it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Corey Enright.

Former SA so could have some links here.

No links to Port so no risk of being infected.

Huge part of winning culture at Geelong.

Done a good job as defence coach at the Saints, plus has learnt under Lyon.
This one I'd be very happy with.

Would Dew really make a good assistant? I don't know but I never really did rate him as the head coach. As for Buckley, he maybe was a Port Adelaide guy but I just think about his last few years after just losing the 2018 Grand Final and then there was the fallout with Treloar and co etc. which resulted in them trading those guys out because they mucked up their salary cap. Not to mention he seems content with his current media role with a potential return to coaching when Tassie comes along.

Would Schofield want to return to Port Adelaide? What was his relationship like with Ken and co during his time here? Would the fact that Taj Schofield got delisted by Port have any bearing in wanting to take up the job as an assistant coach here again?

Port really has to scout out what is out there and preferably someone who doesn't have ties to Port since a new voice is desperately needed. The club is quickly becoming a boy's club like that other mob across town and I don't want that.

No point having a 'senior assistant' who hasn't been a senior coach themselves. So no to Schofield and Enright. Probably no to Dew as well, coaching the SUNS barely counts.

Nathan Buckley would be perfect if you could convince him to do it, but not sure why he'd leave his cushy Melbourne media gigs to come to Adelaide and not even get a senior coaching gig out of it*

*P.S. I'd still happily give him the senior coaching gig

Perhaps I missed something. Why are we getting Carr whether we like it or not?

Unless there is an ironclad succession plan that I am unaware of I would be scouring the country and the top job goes to the best applicant. We have a decent list, a midfield to die for and the right coach who would instill the right culture is a priority. Even if they were only here for 3 years and there was a succession plan in place, be it Carr or not.

Its unlikely I know but a Roos or a Roos type. I would give it to Buckley even though he wouldn't come here. A coach like that would attract players, instil some resiliency and hopefully formulate a real gameplan that has some flexibility to it.

Barring that the job goes to the next best applicant.

I can't see Choco coming back under the current administration as just a player development manager. He seems pretty settled in Melbourne. I would have him back in that role. I think Corey Enright would be a great choice. He might also be able to cobble together a decent defense.

If Carr does get the job I would certainly like to see someone with outside experience come in as the senior assistant. Doesn't have to be a Port player. I'd be surprised it we can get a senior assistant who has been a senior coach though. Realistically, who would come here for a senior assistant role?

Graham Cornes head coach, Chad Cornes senior assistant, get Kane Cornes back in charge of social media, Jed McEntee as forward line coach when he's delisted, Troy Chaplin back to coach defence and Promote Hamish Hartlett to midfield coach, as he was almost good enough to be a midfielder. Ken Hinkley to take over the reigns as reserves coach.

A man can dream.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back