Our Ruckmen

Remove this Banner Ad

I still believe our rucks are our biggest weakness.

Going by the Stats thread, both Renouf and Hale don't get very glowing write-ups at all.

And of the rest, Bailey is our best tap ruckman, but unable to get on the park.

Lowden and Grimley are both kids.

Going to be interesting I reckon once free agency hits.

Going by the Stats thread, both Renouf and Hale don't get very glowing write-ups at all.

Yep, still not happy with our lack of height down back too.

It is a concern. Hale will play a forward/ruckman role in our best 21 so therefore Renouf and Bailey are fighting for the No. 1 rucking position.

Lets hope Max can play a fair bit, however we can't rely on it. He played a trial match and couldn't even back up for NAB 1. How does that install any confidence he is going to play many games?

I'd say Renouf will play alot, and he isn't a class ruckman. Does try hard and is young, could be a very good player, however still needs to learn the art before this happens. Won't be an above average player in 2011 Suzie.

I think the club did the right thing delisting Simon Taylor, perhaps a little premature with Wayde Skipper.

The current ruck stocks do not inspire much confidence, Bailey is 2011s Thorp, though for different reasons. He could easily become the latest superstar that ends up playing very few games!

Everybody is talking him up, and my ideal side for round1 has him as first ruck, though that is more based on his potential than his resilience. It will be heart in the mouth stuff for the first 6 or 7 games he is out there, i hope he can get through and become a force.

In reality i can see us playing Renouf as #1 for the majority of the season, with Hale stepping in to give him a breather. Though i am not too sure how that will work given the suggestion Hale will play predominantly in the forward line, unless he can be parked in a forward pocket for a breather. Bailey being available would be the icing on the cake.

I agree that Ruck backup in the event of injury is looking pretty threadbare.

I do not share the concerns about the height in the back line, last season it was like shuffling half backs to plug the defensive gaps, this season Stratton has really bulked up, he is CHB material, and Gibson is also supposed to have muscled up even more. Add to that the inclusion of Cam Bruce and we should not have the worries of '09 and '10. If we do need to add a little height there is Litherham as a real possibility, he could easily be '11s Stratton.

I was just thinking about how the club might handle Bailey, and got to wondering as to whether they may actually use him as the substitute for his first few games, just bring him on for Renouf for the second half or something, that way he can get game time without taking a spot on the interchange, and they can keep him off if the ground looks bad or it's belting down with rain (or sandilands is being brutal).

Just for the first few, to get his confidence in his own body at AFL level up as much as our confidence in him.

I was just thinking about how the club might handle Bailey, and got to wondering as to whether they may actually use him as the substitute for his first few games, just bring him on for Renouf for the second half or something, that way he can get game time without taking a spot on the interchange, and they can keep him off if the ground looks bad or it's belting down with rain (or sandilands is being brutal).

Just for the first few, to get his confidence in his own body at AFL level up as much as our confidence in him.

I can see them doing that for these remaining NAB challenge games and then monitor how he goes as a sub and then adjust his role/game time/positions played accordingly. Thats what these NAB games are for.

I think the club did the right thing delisting Simon Taylor, perhaps a little premature with Wayde Skipper.

The current ruck stocks do not inspire much confidence, Bailey is 2011s Thorp, though for different reasons. He could easily become the latest superstar that ends up playing very few games!

Everybody is talking him up, and my ideal side for round1 has him as first ruck, though that is more based on his potential than his resilience. It will be heart in the mouth stuff for the first 6 or 7 games he is out there, i hope he can get through and become a force.

In reality i can see us playing Renouf as #1 for the majority of the season, with Hale stepping in to give him a breather. Though i am not too sure how that will work given the suggestion Hale will play predominantly in the forward line, unless he can be parked in a forward pocket for a breather. Bailey being available would be the icing on the cake.

I agree that Ruck backup in the event of injury is looking pretty threadbare.

I do not share the concerns about the height in the back line, last season it was like shuffling half backs to plug the defensive gaps, this season Stratton has really bulked up, he is CHB material, and Gibson is also supposed to have muscled up even more. Add to that the inclusion of Cam Bruce and we should not have the worries of '09 and '10. If we do need to add a little height there is Litherham as a real possibility, he could easily be '11s Stratton.

Mrcurly I reckon muscling up is the last thing we wanted Gibson to do assuming it has happened as suggested by a couple of posters. Last season he could hardly get off the ground unless he had a running jump (and even then it was still pretty modest) and his ability to double back is currently borderline. What we need from Gibbo is for him to be able to become that little bit more agile by trimming down if we are going to keep pinch hitting with him.

Free agency doesn't help us in 2011.

Begs the question - given we can take any of the players Richmond have training with them for their last rookie spot (and vice versa) - does anyone know if any of them are ruckman????!!!! Paul Johnson = Loch Ness monster this preseason.

Free agency doesn't help us in 2011.

Begs the question - given we can take any of the players Richmond have training with them for their last rookie spot (and vice versa) - does anyone know if any of them are ruckman????!!!! Paul Johnson = Loch Ness monster this preseason.

There are no ruckman amongst the three training with Richmond for the last rookie spot RR.

Liam Corrie
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fVYqF8hhAk

Travis Casserley
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jhW5M-HTHI

Mitch Keddall
http://www.afl.com.au/News/NEWSARTIC...?newsId=104526

Are we limited to choosing one of the six players training with either us or Richmond as our last rookie?

I understood we are limited to having three at training, but could choose anyone for the last rookie spot?

Clarification anyone:confused:

Are we limited to choosing one of the six players training with either us or Richmond as our last rookie?

I understood we are limited to having three at training, but could choose anyone for the last rookie spot?

Clarification anyone:confused:

Yes we are limited to choosing from the six players training with us or Richmond.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I believe that the game plan is the most important. Against West Coast & Freo in the NAB when we had structure through the field and we ran and carried the ball, hit targets and work hard in close we will be very hard to beat. The game is quite congested but we need to have the structure up and down the ground to move the footy. Renouf, Hale, Bailey will combine well for us this year. As much as I love Bailey and his determination the knees are stuffed. If we can get a year or two from him it will allow lowden and grimmley to develope.

Getting the ball to advantage is the biggest key for us this year. Our on ball unit is one of the best in the comp but it also time for them to be accountable and hard at it. Lets combine hard inside and gut running outside for a big year. The game is won and lost in the middle. Hitting targets is the key and this year will be huge. We only finished 1.5 games from top 4 last year with a 21 yr old ruckman on his own for the first 6 rounds. huge effort. The next 2-4 years are our big window and I can see us in the mix but they have to want it. They have not over the last 2 years.

GWS have a go before us

True. But all depends on what Cox wants.

Safe to safe that he would be the highest paid player currently where he is.

He either wants the money or play in finals ala Burgers.

Well two of our ruckman Max and David are on the official Injury list and listed as TBA. Which means neither will play this weekend.

and so it begins.

Delisting Taylor and Skipper was such a risky move. Did we really need to take such a massive risk here to free up just 1 spot on the list?

Could have massive consequences and potentially another season wasted. So many people here said it wouldn't happen last year and it did, yet we play with fire once again.

I'd say we will bring in half our team this week, and the other half next week. Hopefully by NAB 4 we have had Hale and Bailey play at least one, hopefully 2 matches

Remove this Banner Ad

Our Ruckmen

Remove this Banner Ad

Back