B: Hanley Merret Adcock

HB: Drummond Patful McGrath

C Polec Black Rockliff

HF Rich Elton Staker

F Banfield Brown Karnezis

Foll: Leunberger Redden Raines

Bench: Barlett Power Beams

Sub: Lester/Green/Cournelius

Assuming Clark leaves and we take Elton in the draft.

Don't know if it's time for this thread yet, but just pointing out that I'm pretty sure including future draft picks in a best 22 is frowned upon (and looks a little desperate!).;)

Without taking into consideration any draft picks/trades, but realising Clark and Power are probably gone...

B- Adcock Merrett Patfull

HB- Drummond McKeever McGrath

C- Hanley Redden Rockliff

HF- Rich Brown Polec

F- Banfield Cornelius Karnezis

Foll- Leuenberger Black (Raines/Stiller)

Bench- Beams Bartlett Staker
Sub and emergencies- :confused: Green / (Raines/Stiller) / Golby / Retzlaff

Edit: And yes, a little early... Plus I wouldn't be putting draft picks in our best team

Drummond, Merrett, Hanley
Adcock, Patfull, Staker
Rockliff, Black, Pick 27
Polec, Pick 8, Karnezis
Banfield, Brown, McGrath

Leuenberger, Redden, Rich

Harwood, Green, O'Brien, Pick 28

;)

Okay, i'm posting a team just so there's one on this thread that contains James Polkinghorne.

Patfull, Merrett, Adcock
Hanley, Staker, McGrath
Rockliff, Redden, Rich
Polkinghorne, Retzlaff, Power
Karnezis, Brown, Banfield

Leuenberger, Black, Raines

Stiller, McKeever, Harwood, Drummond

Essentially our best 22 right now minus Clark

FB – Merret, Patfull, Hanley

HB – Adcock, Drummond, McGrath

C – Black, Polec, Rich

HF – Rockliff, Brown, Banfield

F – Karnezis, Staker, Cornelius

Foll – Leuenberger, Redden, Raines

I/C - Polkinghorne, Harwood, Bartlett, Stiller

Seriously, I really like the look of that team, and am looking forward to Round 1. :thumbsu:

FB - Patfull - Merrett - Hanley
HB - Adcock - Drummond - McGrath
C - Redden - Rich - Bewick
HF - Banfield - Brown - Polec
FF - Polkinghorne - Cornelius - Karnezis
Foll - Leuenberger - Black - Rockliff

I/C - McKeever - Green - Lester - O'Brien

Also looking forward to next year. The youngsters will be more mature and hopefully be able to push for the 8. Just don't need those injuries.

B: Adcock Merrett Drummond
HB: McGrath Staker Lester
C: Hanley Black Rich
HF: Polkinghorne Clark Polec
FF: Banfield Brown Karnezis
R: Leuenberger Redden Rockliff
B: Bartlett O'Brien Harwood Raines
Emg: Charman Patfull Stiller

Unlucky: Bewick, Hawksley, Cornelius, McKeever, Retzlaff

I'd like Lester to play Patfull's role down back. Patfull hasn't been good enough this year and Karnezis is the third tall forward. If Clark goes, ACorn comes in and I'm not sure who would second ruck in the best 22. but Leuenberger might have to ruck 90% of the match. I'm assuming Power retires which I think he should.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

F - P. Karnezis, J. Brown, L. Power
HF - D. Rich, M. Clark, A. McGrath
C - A. Raines, S. Black, P. Hanley
HB - J. Adcock, B. Staker, J. Drummond
B - J. Patfull, D. Merrett, J. Polec
R - M. Leuenberger, T. Rockliff, J. Redden.
I - C. Bartlett, T. Banfield, N. McKeever, J. Polkinghorne

B Drummond Merrett Staker
HB Adcock McKeever Hanley
C Rockliff Rich Polec
HF Banfield Retzlaff Karnezis
F McGrath Brown Cornelius
R Leuenberger Black Redden
I Polkinghorne, Lester, O'Brien, Harwood
Emerg Bartlett, Patfull, Green

The Controversies

I left out Patfull because I think he has been pretty poor this year and has not given the run we wanted and generally has not been asked to play on the bigs. McKeever I think is our CHB of the future and we should start him there. Staker I rate going forward more than Patfull and I give him the nod for that reason. He needs to improve defensively but if the team is up and running I think he will do fine. Lester I put in there because of his utility value.

McGrath has been swapped around a lot the last few weeks and has looked better for it. I move away from him at the back but have him available to go back if needed. one of the only small forwards we have so use him there.

Brown, Retzlaff, Cornelius and Karnezis looks way too tall. If you have a line up that is going to stretch teams I would use it. Retz probably needs to play up the ground in this line up marking between 50 and centre. Cornelius and Karnezis would need a lot of endurance work over the offseason to ensure they can do the defensive work they will need to do in such a line up. Both of those guys have excellent hands and having them inside 50 gives us multiple very dangerous targets.

Break Out Candidates

O'Brien - I think could really step up next year. He has quietly gone about things this year and just looks to have that bit of class about him. He needs to have a big offseason but I like the potential there a lot.

Harwood - bulked up last offseason and will trim down this one. He is the type of player we need in the middle but he needs to work on his engine. If he can build that I think we will have a Robinson like player. That is a tassie hard nut who can win the ball and make life difficult for opposition teams.

McKeever - very competitive and will work his butt off. Look for him to have another big offseason and surprise a lot of people next year.

Bartlett - has all the tools. If he can stay healthy he could be huge for us next year.

Green - knows what he has to do and he will work as hard as anyone to make it. He will play a lot next year and play very well. His pace and ball winning could easily see him crack the round 1 side.

The Question Mark

Polec - I am just not seeing it at the moment. I don't think the light has gone on for him.

Lots of people leaving Stiller out. I'd have said he was one of our better players over the last couple of months. Is he just being forgotten or do people still want him delisted?

Fair point Tom. Both Stiller and Raines deserve spots based on their improvement this year. I guess I am shooting for the sky and naming players who have the "potential" to be very good players ahead of them. Both Stiller and Raines are not guys who would get a game on a top 4 team I don't think. Stiller and Raines are ahead of quite a few of those I have named atm but you would hope that those guys would start to live up to their potential and go past them.

HB: Patfull McKeever Hanley
C: Redden Polkinghorne Rich
HF: Karnezis Brown Polec
F: Banfield Cornelius McGrath
R: Leuenberger Black Rockliff
I: Raines Lester O'Brien
S: Green

HB: Patfull McKeever Hanley
HF: Karnezis Brown Polec
F: Banfield Cornelius McGrath
I: Raines Lester O'Brien
S: Green

Needs more pick 8 :p

HB: Patfull Staker Hanley
HF: Karnezis Brown Beams
F: Banfield Cornelius* McGrath
I: Lester Raines O'Brien Sheldon
Emerg: (from) Bewick, McKeever, Green, Polec, Bartlett

*Assuming Clark leaves (Looking at the list - if we retain Clark, i do think we will be much stronger in 2012 than people would have us all believe).

2012 Bolter: Beams
Showed plenty before getting injured. Nuggetty goal kicking mid with good endurance - not too dissimilar from rockliff. Here's hoping he has a massive pre-season and cements his place in the team.

Found this harder than i thought. Would love for someone (Quigs?) to do a thread on who is fighting for certain positions.

My turn (again assuming Clark is leaving, otherwise he replaces ACorn)

B: Adcock Merrett Stiller
HB: Drummond Patfull Hanley
HF: Polec Brown McGrath
F: Staker Karnezis Banfield
I: Raines, Sheldon, Beams, Hawksley (Sub)
Emg: McKeever, Cornelius, O'Brien
(Others = Lester, Green, Bewick, Harwood, Maguire, Golby, Bartlett)

Obviously I favour a smaller faster team given the way footy is often played these days.

The players in blue are the ones where the selection could go either way, IMO. So for me, there are 3 spots up for grabs, although obviously some others could come under scrutiny if their form wasn't good enough (Stiller, Patfull even, Polkinghorne, Karnezis, Raines and Sheldon are all probably in that next group).

I originally had Cornelius in the forward line instead of Polec, but I thought that would be way to slow given Brown, Staker and Karnezis are in there. McKeever would also be unlucky to miss out, but given Drummond's injury rate he would be back in the team in no time.

Karnezis
Lester
O'Brien
McKeever
Polec

If we can go into 2012 with 3 or more of the above as guaranteed best 22 players, then I think we'll have developed as a list. They are 5 who have shown signs at senior level of being classy footballers who will either lift the skill of our side and/or fill an urgent structural need. Others like Harwood, Beams, Bartlett, Bewick etc might well be good footballers as well but there is something about how the above 5 played in their limited exposure to senior football that has me genuinely excited that they can contribute to a leap forward in our development.

Assuming Buchanan, Clarke and Clark won't be playing.

B: McGrath Merrett McKeever
HB: Drummond Patfull Adcock
C: Hanley Black Rockliff
HF: Banfield Staker Polkinghorne
F: Polec Brown Karnezis
R: Leuenberger Redden Rich
B: Stiller Raines Harwood Lester (SUB)
Emg: Cornelius Bartlett MacCauley

The rest in rough order of preference:
Maguire
Golby
Beams
O'Brien
Green
Bewick
Retzlaff
Sheldon
Hawksley
Collier
Austin

Not sure about McKeever but with Clark gone the team needs a second ruck. Hopefully McKeever can play on a resting ruckman.

Lester adds versatility.

Polec can play half forward and then go onto the ball.

Hanley needs to play up to field more with McGrath adding run from the backline.

Polkinghorne needs to be able to provide at least a 3 quarter effort more often or Bartlett get his spot. I'm still not sure about Polks and it wouldn't surprise me if he gets pushed out by all the high draft picks the Lions will get over the next couple of years.

A KP, a small and a ruck as the emergencies for cover. The backline reverts to how it functioned in '09 with Merrett taking the full forward and Patfull the CHF.

Harwood with another pre-season gets more full games to learn from Simon Black.

Brown plays from the goal square, Staker leads to the wings and Karnezis floats around the 40-60 mark. Banfield keeps crumbing and the other two rotate through the midfield.

Remove this Banner Ad

Our Team For Round 1 2012

Remove this Banner Ad

Back