Round 14 Changes

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So how do we get through the Saints Defence.
I know a few here watched the Suns game against them, and yes it was a terrible game to watch.
Neither side could go more than 3 possessions before they coughed it up,and the Suns went too slow , alowing for the smothering Saints to set up, then had to go sideways or the long bomb to a well set up Saint's unit.
We are miles ahead of the Suns in terms of attack , just have to use our smarts.
So for mind if we hack it forward it won't work they will be set up behind the ball.
We still have to play on quickly , handball , try and find another player on a lead.
If we play that brand which has plenty of run in offence and be prepared to cover any turnovers we can do it. We have done this .
Just comes down to whether they can smother us before we can get it rolling.
Our best game where we are no way stagnent, create space , you know the rest, work or asses off we should pants this team.

Don't give them time to set up, or it will be a bore fest.

I know a few here watched the Suns game against them, and yes it was a terrible game to watch.
Neither side could go more than 3 possessions before they coughed it up,and the Suns went too slow , alowing for the smothering Saints to set up, then had to go sideways or the long bomb to a well set up Saint's unit.
We are miles ahead of the Suns in terms of attack , just have to use our smarts.
So for mind if we hack it forward it won't work they will be set up behind the ball.
We still have to play on quickly , handball , try and find another player on a lead.
If we play that brand which has plenty of run in offence and be prepared to cover any turnovers we can do it. We have done this .
Our best game where we are no way stagnent, create space , you know the rest, work or asses off we should pants this team.

Good clean ball forward from Centre clearances would help with 666 before they can get the numbers back.

Watching windhager against Miller the other night was intersting.At bounces and throw ins noticed few times you could see windhager not even looking at the ball and scragging miller and blocking. I thought couple of years ago umpires were cracking down on this stuff if tagger was not actually watching the ball then they would pay a free kick. Forwards are getting free kicks for the arms around the stomach ( except joey and charlie) so lets pay the frees for taggers wrapping arms around. Only noticed couple of times.

Watching windhager against Miller the other night was intersting.At bounces and throw ins noticed few times you could see windhager not even looking at the ball and scragging miller and blocking. I thought couple of years ago umpires were cracking down on this stuff if tagger was not actually watching the ball then they would pay a free kick. Forwards are getting free kicks for the arms around the stomach ( except joey and charlie) so lets pay the frees for taggers wrapping arms around. Only noticed couple of times.
The umpires should police this more than they do.
However nice to see Miller get back some of his own tactics he used on Zorko and Neale over the years.

I don't like his commentary and I do cringe at the roaming bt mostly but sometimes he nails it. Not sure the nails it to cringe ratio justifies the segment though.
I must admit the other night I noted he was talking about goalkicking accuracy and said that improvement was often not instantly reactive to training effort. I thought what a good insight, then was gobsmacked that it came out of his mouth.

Hopefully it gets policed more often this week. Presume windhager straight to lachy.
We played the Saints twice last year for two wins.
R15 Windhager tagged Neale but Neale still had 29 disposals.
R24 No tag on Neale who had 30 disposals. Windhager played wing i think.

Think Neale gets the tag next week though.

No mention of McKenna so he is fine for this week.
The Saints has not been upgraded as yet but Howard likely misses doing his hammy last week.
Saints now updated.

Saint Kilda
PLAYERINJURYESTIMATED RETURN
Jack HayesKnee4 weeks
Dougal HowardHamstring4 weeks
Isaac KeelerKnee1-2 weeks
Angus McLennanCalfTest
Liam StockerAbdomen1 week
James Van EsAnkleSeason
Updated: June 11, 2024

Early prognosis​

Howard will be sidelined for the next month after straining his left hamstring for the second time this season in Saturday night's win over Gold Coast. Hayes is still another month away from returning after knee surgery, while Stocker needs another week to recover from an abdominal injury. – Josh Gabelich

BRISBANE
Will AshcroftKnee3-5 weeks
Keidean ColemanKneeSeason
Tom DoedeeKneeSeason
Darcy GardinerKneeSeason
Lincoln McCarthyKneeSeason
Carter MichaelKneeTest

Early prognosis​

No news is good news for the Lions. Ashcroft is continuing to progress his training and is expected to be doing everything with the main group in coming weeks. – Michael Whiting

Last edited:
We played the Saints twice last year for two wins.
R15 Windhager tagged Neale but Neale still had 29 disposals.
R24 No tag on Neale who had 30 disposals. Windhager played wing i think.

Think Neale gets the tag next week though.
I hope you are right about this week, but Windhager has only tagged Neale once and that was R22 2022 (he had 36% and 0% Centre bounce attendances in our games last year, and had 83% in 2022).
In that game Windhager had 21 disposals and kept Neale to 16.

I hope you are right about this week, but Windhager has only tagged Neale once and that was R22 2022 (he had 36% and 0% Centre bounce attendances in our games last year, and had 83% in 2022).
In that game Windhager had 21 disposals and kept Neale to 16.
You are a Saints supporter so you should know.
I was going on Fan Footy that had a tag symbol on Windhager and a lock symbol on Neale R15 in 2023.
Fan Footy had the same symbols on your R22 in 2022. They got that won correct.

Checked the CBA for that 2023 game and confirmed your 36% CBA is correct.
So, he could not have had the tag role that day.
Thanks for the correction.

No mention of McKenna so he is fine for this week.
The Saints has not been upgraded as yet but Howard likely misses doing his hammy last week.
Saints now updated.

Saint Kilda
Jack HayesKnee4 weeks
Dougal HowardHamstring4 weeks
Isaac KeelerKnee1-2 weeks
Angus McLennanCalfTest
Liam StockerAbdomen1 week
James Van EsAnkleSeason

Early prognosis​

Howard will be sidelined for the next month after straining his left hamstring for the second time this season in Saturday night's win over Gold Coast. Hayes is still another month away from returning after knee surgery, while Stocker needs another week to recover from an abdominal injury. – Josh Gabelich

BRISBANE
Will AshcroftKnee3-5 weeks
Keidean ColemanKneeSeason
Tom DoedeeKneeSeason
Darcy GardinerKneeSeason
Lincoln McCarthyKneeSeason
Carter MichaelKneeTest

Early prognosis​

No news is good news for the Lions. Ashcroft is continuing to progress his training and is expected to be doing everything with the main group in coming weeks. – Michael Whiting
Hopefully Michael gets up for this week; honestly can’t recall his last game; early 2023 perhaps. Was a test last week and didn’t play so hopefully this week.

Hopefully Michael gets up for this week; honestly can’t recall his last game; early 2023 perhaps. Was a test last week and didn’t play so hopefully this week.
Carter has played 1 AFL game that was on July 10th, 2022.
He was back to the VFL for his next and last game. That was July 24th, 2022.
That's a long time away from AFL footy.

Carter has played 1 AFL game that was on July 10th, 2022.
He was back to the VFL for his next and last game. That was July 24th, 2022.
That's a long time away from AFL footy.
I think I jinxed him; just saw this on Lions website

However, the club will further assess young defender Carter Michael, with the 22-year-old still recovering from a persistent quad strain.

The Sunshine Coast local, who joined the Club after being selected as an Academy pre-selection in the 2020 NAB AFL Rookie Draft, is yet to play a game this season.

The club’s medical team will sit down with Michael in the coming days to discuss the best course of action to help him get back playing.
Might be curtains for the young lad; hopefully he gets back to having a kick and enjoying footy in the not too distant future

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If only we were in this position on the ladder. But it is a positive.

Foxsport power rankings

4. BRISBANE LIONS (5-6-1, 115.5%)

Last week:
Ranked 12th, def Western Bulldogs by 43 pts

Leaping up eight spots sounds dramatic, but remember, the middle of the ladder right now is extremely tight. And even though the Lions are 13th they are inarguably scarier than their ladder position suggests. The loss to Hawthorn doesn’t look as bad now, and excluding that game they’re unbeaten since Anzac Day, with a greatly improved offence - 1st in the AFL for points scored, 2nd for scores per inside 50 and shot and goal accuracy. The latter element, accuracy, is what Chris Fagan has cited multiple times in recent weeks. He knows the Lions kicked themselves out of a few games early in the year (16th for accuracy between Opening Round and Round 7), and it has them needing a strong run home to play finals. But they have six Gabba games plus the away Pineapple Grapple left, so the chances are there, and they’re clearly dangerous - if we were an AFL coach, we’d rather be playing Essendon (3rd), Port Adelaide (4th) or Geelong (5th) than the 13th-placed Lions next week.

This week: St Kilda at the Gabba, Friday 7:40pm

Well I said before the Bulldogs game probably won't get enthusiastic until we are back in the eight .
Then why is my adreniline already running and it's only Wednesday and we are still 13th.
Am I a sucker?
Surely we won't lose to this team.
At the Gabba , we got our Mojo going, and they suck at footy.
We have to win, have to be able to get through their defence.
I'm expecting our pressure to be so high they won't even know what to do.

The suns main issue is they don't have a lot of quality ball users, especially around Rowell and Touk who are your more blue collar in and under extractors. So they really struggled to move the ball and just ended up chipping it around. IMO the keys for us will be Clug, Zorko, McKenna and Wilmott.

The suns main issue is they don't have a lot of quality ball users, especially around Rowell and Touk who are your more blue collar in and under extractors. So they really struggled to move the ball and just ended up chipping it around. IMO the keys for us will be Clug, Zorko, McKenna and Wilmott.
You could see it , couldn't you, they just didn't have the capability to take the Saints on quickly enough and turned it over , over and over with poor ball movement.
I was thinking it was also a result of the tweak of the rule where they where rushed ,which only exaggerates their shortcommings.

Ashcroft is tearing it up in match sims. We'll probably keep holding him back but when he does come in that could improve our ball use dramatically.

Happy Antonio Banderas GIF

Was just looking up Bailey's stats and was reminded that he kicked 37 goals in 2022 included 4 games with 4 or more goals

Ashcrofts inclusion (probably for Reville) should hopefully reduce his midfield time and add to our already dangerous forward line of Daniher, Hipwood, Morris, Rayner, Charlie, Lohmann and Bailey

Be interesting to see where they play Ashcroft after an ACL injury.
Ashcroft shared CBA % time with McCluggage (both around 43%) behind Neale (87%) and Dunkley (80%) before his injury.
No Berry in that midfield mix except for the round 2 Melbourne game.
Zorko had 21% for the year 2022 so that can be absorbed in the mix.

Since Berry came into the midfield this year in round 8 his % has been 35, 47, 64 & 83 v Dogs.
A good problem to have but still interesting to see what happens.

Ashcroft is tearing it up in match sims. We'll probably keep holding him back but when he does come in that could improve our ball use dramatically.
What’s a match sim in this context,Whiting’s injury report says he will join the main group in coming weeks ?

The Neale tag is a concern but I think with Berry not really needing to tag a Saints player, Berry can be used to give Neale some help. I'm sure the coaches can work out a way for Berry's big body to get in there and assist. Although Berry did alright finding his own ball inside v Dogs even while tagging Bont. Either way I think we'll be too good in the middle for the Saints.

Don't expect any changes, don't think any are warranted. I'd like to see McKenna ease off the dodgy kicks a bit. Really happy with the team first work Charlie is doing. He'll get his goalkicking eye in, it'll click for him soon. I'd like to see the space the fwds are getting continue. That dogged hunting determination has to remain more than anything.

Send Berry to windhager

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back