Ovens and King Football League 2006-2010

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys this is why we dont have umpiers, with all the shit they cop, you can only take so much,and the umpier that had the pink wrist bands, they were a anti cancer promo they had going.Maybe some of you need to go and umpier a game,you might see things from another side,and i think you will find that most of the umps running around a ex players...some thing to think about.
If you have a player that needs to be told that he's doing a great job for him to play well,you would do it,maybe the umpiers need to be told that they a doing a good job and they might lift to ;):rolleyes:
I could see on the weekend why you down at Glenrowan think the umpiring is of a good standard Tige.

I'm confident that any twos player would be happy with that scenario, Virge. We had two club umpires a couple of weeks ago and nothing bad was said about either one. Is there anyone on this forum (with a bit of pull) that could raise this with the league?
And why should we give "support" to the umpires that make mistakes week in week out? If you paid someone to do a job and they were constantly making poor errors in judgement, they'd get the sack straight away. Is there any quality control/regular testing for umpires in the O&K?
And may I stress that it is a few umpires that need to be seriously looked at.

Spot on bout our game a few weeks ago mate - we played KV & had a Greta ump & a KV ump - the calls were fair and consistant and when a player questioned a decision they looked at the player - said we all make mistakes from time to time and get on with the game - which I think the umps going around at the moment think that everything said to them is a direct/personal insult towards them, when 9.999999 times out of 10 a player is purely frustrated with a) the player knows they stuffed up, b) the umpire being inconsistant c) the player just having a plain sh!t day.
We also had Gerard Nolan do a game early in the year when we played Moyhu @ Moyhu and he did a fantastic job.

Like everyone who plays sport, you just want consistancy - even if it's consistantly sh!t umpiring - then you have a chance to coach/play to that standard.

Good to see that the competition's final few rounds is close like the comp has been all season, with positions 4 & 5 still open to 4 teams - a far cry from previous years.

Spot on bout our game a few weeks ago mate - we played KV & had a Greta ump & a KV ump - the calls were fair and consistant and when a player questioned a decision they looked at the player - said we all make mistakes from time to time and get on with the game - which I think the umps going around at the moment think that everything said to them is a direct/personal insult towards them, when 9.999999 times out of 10 a player is purely frustrated with a) the player knows they stuffed up, b) the umpire being inconsistant c) the player just having a plain sh!t day.
We also had Gerard Nolan do a game early in the year when we played Moyhu @ Moyhu and he did a fantastic job.

Like everyone who plays sport, you just want consistancy - even if it's consistantly sh!t umpiring - then you have a chance to coach/play to that standard.

Good to see that the competition's final few rounds is close like the comp has been all season, with positions 4 & 5 still open to 4 teams - a far cry from previous years.

Can only hope it keeps on improving E.B its been a very good year..

Just a hint guys, dont talk too loud about how good your club umpires are because next year they'll end up wearing orange and you lose them....Trust me it happens. They get taken away and educated/brainwashed and this time next year someone will be whingeing abou them.:thumbsu:

Just a hint guys, dont talk too loud about how good your club umpires are because next year they'll end up wearing orange and you lose them....Trust me it happens. They get taken away and educated/brainwashed and this time next year someone will be whingeing abou them.:thumbsu:

LOL Slim.......What I read into TGN's comments is that if everyone is unhappy with the way umpiring is for the reserves, then the O&K should look at alternative ways and this suggestion is one, because the 2 or 3 times we have had club umpires, both Greta or the opposition, the umpiring has been of a high standard.

Big weekend for Greta, Moyhu, Bright & Whorouly and their final 5 aspirations.

LOL Slim.......What I read into TGN's comments is that if everyone is unhappy with the way umpiring is for the reserves, then the O&K should look at alternative ways and this suggestion is one, because the 2 or 3 times we have had club umpires, both Greta or the opposition, the umpiring has been of a high standard.

Big weekend for Greta, Moyhu, Bright & Whorouly and their final 5 aspirations.

None of them can afford to drop a game....Hopefully your guys have a full squad this week.

On another note EB Iwas shattered to see the photo in the chronnie. Is "Guns" really a cross dresser ?. I always told you he ran like a girl.:D:D:D

Probably all seen the the outcome of the vcfl review by now any thoughts, pretty much an anti climax but the O&K board will have a few headaches in the coming months

Found this... Its from early july interesting read but.

THE Ovens and King league has opened its doors, ROSLYN LANIGAN reports
Clubs from the beleaguered Benalla and District competition have been thrown a lifeline by the neighbouring Ovens and King league.
Despite a VCFL report suggesting nearby leagues would not benefit from the addition of Benalla clubs, Ovens and King league chairman John Muraca said his competition's 10-member clubs were "quite receptive" to adding new teams.
"Like all leagues, ours doesn't like change and the clubs would like the competition to stay as it is, if that were possible," Muraca told The Weekly Times.
"But they all realise that country footy is going through massive changes and the Benalla league clubs need somewhere to play."
Muraca said representatives from all 10 Ovens and King teams met last week to discuss the expansion of the competition.
"We bought all the clubs in to inform them where we were at and what the likely scenarios could be," he said.
"The VCFL has informed us that they'd like three of the Benalla and District clubs to come into the Ovens and King league.
"But nothing is finalised yet.
"The only thing that seems certain is there will be no Benalla and District league next year."
Muraca confirmed the VCFL had requested Bonnie Doon, Goorambat and Swanpool be permitted to join the Ovens and King league.
But some league insiders are tipping Bonnie Doon would prefer to transfer to the Yarra Valley Mountain District competition, to renew rivalries with former Benalla and District club Thornton-Eildon.
Struggling club Tatong has indicated it, too, will apply to join the Ovens and King league.
Longwood will seek to join the Kyabram and District league at the end of the season, as it did unsuccessfully last year.
The VCFL's on-going review of football in the Benalla and District area is due to wrap up at the beginning of next month.
The review's early conclusions stated there was no evidence to suggest Benalla and District clubs would be able to compete "competitively and sustainably" in neighbouring leagues, and no evidence to suggest neighbouring leagues would benefit from their addition.
The report angered many league followers, who believed it focused on the negatives of the Benalla competition.
Muraca said no Benalla and District club had yet made a formal application to join the Ovens and King league.
"Now it's a matter of waiting to see what the Benalla clubs are going to do," he said.
"Of course, they're probably waiting until the VCFL finishes its review.
"But one thing we know is we don't want this process to be long and drawn out.
"Our clubs want to know by the end of this season who's joining our league so we can plan for the future."

TATONG Football Club will seek to join the Ovens and King league next year.

The struggling Magpies held a "Save our Feathers" meeting last week to determine its future after the Benalla and District league winds up this year.

Tatong, plagued by a shortage of players, has forfeited one senior and three reserves matches this season.

But president Hayden Croot said the club was determined to keep its identity.

"We held a vote and the outcome was to make an application to the Ovens and King league and to also hold some initial talks with other clubs about a possible merger," Croot said.

"People who have been around the club for a long time would hate to see it go that way (merge), but even some of the strong clubs up this way are talking about having to do it.

"Being on the bottom of the ladder in the seniors certainly doesn't help," he said.

Croot said he had already spoken to "a couple of other presidents" about the possibility of a merger.

"I've just been touching base with people and they're all willing to talk," he said.

Benalla and District league general manager Sandy Thomas, also an administrator of the Ovens and King league through the North East Football Hub, said Tatong should consider a merger with an existing Ovens and King club.

"I know of at least two clubs in the Ovens and King who would do something for them," Thomas said.

"Then their history wouldn't be lost."

Havnt seen it Slim , can we read it somewhere ?

Dont think its on line Virge, basically Swanpool and Goorambat can apply for O&K, Longwood can apply for KDFL, Bonnie Doon can apply to YVMDFL Div 2 or O&K and Tatong should find a partner to merge with or they can apply to O&K under vcfl rules. No teams transferring to another league are to have underage teams in 2010. A review into junior footy to be done by end of this year.

bit of an anti climax as I said. Most of us had worked out /predicted that a while ago. See me tomorrow if you want any more info but that is the guts of it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dont think its on line Virge, basically Swanpool and Goorambat can apply for O&K, Longwood can apply for KDFL, Bonnie Doon can apply to YVMDFL Div 2 or O&K and Tatong should find a partner to merge with or they can apply to O&K under vcfl rules. No teams transferring to another league are to have underage teams in 2010. A review into junior footy to be done by end of this year.

bit of an anti climax as I said. Most of us had worked out /predicted that a while ago. See me tomorrow if you want any more info but that is the guts of it.

So have they applied yet or waiting till one week before the start of next season?

Yeah well said Tige as bad as they are sometimes we need to give more support, we had G Nolan & M Brown doing our twos game last week which i reckon worked very well. I think that if we have club umpires doing the 2s that its esential that there is one from each club to not only help share the load as far as the running goes but it helps takes the potential bias out of the game........ By the way Tige since when has Jeff Kennett been your scribe for the record?
Hi Virge,The two guys you named would be great umpires to have doing your game.I have done the job a few times and there was one time where i asked a lady sitting on the other side of the fence if she would like to do the job,she was giving me a spray every time i went near her,so on that experience i wouldn't put my hand up to do the job again.I too find the umpiring very frustrating but understanding what they have to put up with for $100 odd bucks iam reluctant to put my hand up...The only thing with club umpires is you have to find someone to do it every week,and if there was only one club umpire doing the job and his club won he would be called a cheat.So me personally iam happy to have wang umpires board do it.....BUT they do need to come up with a better way to recruit more or better umpires .....and by the way whats with the Jeff Kennett thing, I didn't read last week...

I could see on the weekend why you down at Glenrowan think the umpiring is of a good standard Tige.
I never said that the umpiring was of a good standard,and they were the same for both sides, May be if your coach didn't give them the spray he did,you might have got a few more free kicks....The coach would have to have a spin on the spinning wheel for that spray hey JB...;) And by the way Glenrowan is up Whorouly is down...

Hi Virge,The two guys you named would be great umpires to have doing your game.I have done the job a few times and there was one time where i asked a lady sitting on the other side of the fence if she would like to do the job,she was giving me a spray every time i went near her,so on that experience i wouldn't put my hand up to do the job again.I too find the umpiring very frustrating but understanding what they have to put up with for $100 odd bucks iam reluctant to put my hand up...The only thing with club umpires is you have to find someone to do it every week,and if there was only one club umpire doing the job and his club won he would be called a cheat.So me personally iam happy to have wang umpires board do it.....BUT they do need to come up with a better way to recruit more or better umpires .....and by the way whats with the Jeff Kennett thing, I didn't read last week...

Yeah like i said its got to be one each for that reason and i think its getting closer that it will become mandatory that clubs do the 2s. Reading the record during the week i senced someone getting a little ahead of themselves and i thought that Hickey in particular would be thinking a little like Clarko at times when Kennett speaks his mind, hoping that what hes saying wont come back to bite.

Why is that tige? Did i hit a bit of a nerve? Why would it matter what anyone says Tige they are suppose to be impartial and have no preference for either team.

dont worry about the tosser tige, they're not playing finals and you blokes are.

jb - looks like the goal umpire up your end today didnt have to do much work with your p1ssweak 1 goal to 3qt

The Moyhu - Bright game this week will be a cracker. Will Moyhu bring Moore and Balf back in, they may need to..... Anyone want to predict 4-5 positions.

dont worry about the tosser tige, they're not playing finals and you blokes are.

jb - looks like the goal umpire up your end today didnt have to do much work with your p1ssweak 1 goal to 3qt
thats a very personal attack on jb pants, is there any need for the hostile attitude? if your gonna carry on like that, maybe just keep those opinions to yourself!! everyone is entitled to an opinion pants, and that is obviously jb's, but keep your personal attacks to yourself, coz i for one, dont wanna read rubbish like that!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back