Ovens and Murray Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
k norman set to depart rovers and sign with kyneton. could rovers even be a chance to snatch the spoon off myrtleford? in the off season they have now lost their best midfielder in allan, 2 best forwards in silver and cristoforo, now another quality key position player in norman, and 2 handy players in webb and n hill. only signing of note is clingan who is a midfielder but from all reports is hardly going to be in the elite midfielder category in O&M circles

Give me a break!!! Rovers were 100+ points ahead of Myrtleford last year. From what i have heard Myrtleford has lost leading (only) goal kicker Blake Arnold, major (only) ball winners in Rhys Fitzpatrick, Jim and Joe Martiniello, as well as Gabe O'Brien, Kane and Dean Benstead, Ben Beams, Hayden Murray, Euan Jackson and Lance Barton. Their seconds were 150-200 points off in most matches, where is their team going to come from?

Granted, Rovers will struggle, but to suggest the wooden spoon is anything other than a certainty to go to Myrt - you really are a peanut...

As for Norman, i get the impression he is not very well liked, and his departure would not be felt too heavily. He is a major wasted talent - should dominate O&M but has next to no impact in most games. Can't see him lifting Kyneton off the bottom of the ladder.

k norman set to depart rovers and sign with kyneton. could rovers even be a chance to snatch the spoon off myrtleford? in the off season they have now lost their best midfielder in allan, 2 best forwards in silver and cristoforo, now another quality key position player in norman, and 2 handy players in webb and n hill. only signing of note is clingan who is a midfielder but from all reports is hardly going to be in the elite midfielder category in O&M circles

why on earth would norman want to go to kyneton ?

they are a joke of a side and are seriously struggling for numbers at the moment with huge ammounts of players walking away from the club.
they have been the whipping boys of the comp for yrs now regularylosing by 100+ points and can see them being even worse this year, poor decision by norman there thats for sure. one things for sure if he only sticks around for a year he will never get to sing the team song !

My sources inform me that Norman is not even entertaining the idea of Kyneton and that he will be staying at Rovers with his cousin Brad Bell and his mates. I believe that the fact the Rovers are so underestimated will see them creep under the guard of many of the top sides this season. Whilst not having the same success during the silly season as other clubs, they have still recruited some very handy players to complement their talented young side. Many of the previous seasons successful thirds and seconds are pushing up, particularly blokes like Luke Peters, Robbie Allan, Darcy Booth and Trent Lappin, who have been in the seniors and seconds for a few years now, whilst still being young. Tas Clingan is a jet and will be up there with the best, whilst his mates Ben Britten and Wal Ritchie will be very handy players too. Also favourite sonsDaniel McLaughlin and Anthony 'Knackers' McGuire are returning after a year away and both are very good Senior level players. Rovers will win games this year with their speed and fitness, as their tall men brigade will be an athletic breed as opposed to big and bullish eg. Platfuss, Gaston, Gervasoni. Sides who dont treat them with respect may be in for a big surprise!

My sources inform me that Norman is not even entertaining the idea of Kyneton and that he will be staying at Rovers with his cousin Brad Bell and his mates. I believe that the fact the Rovers are so underestimated will see them creep under the guard of many of the top sides this season. Whilst not having the same success during the silly season as other clubs, they have still recruited some very handy players to complement their talented young side. Many of the previous seasons successful thirds and seconds are pushing up, particularly blokes like Luke Peters, Robbie Allan, Darcy Booth and Trent Lappin, who have been in the seniors and seconds for a few years now, whilst still being young. Tas Clingan is a jet and will be up there with the best, whilst his mates Ben Britten and Wal Ritchie will be very handy players too. Also favourite sonsDaniel McLaughlin and Anthony 'Knackers' McGuire are returning after a year away and both are very good Senior level players. Rovers will win games this year with their speed and fitness, as their tall men brigade will be an athletic breed as opposed to big and bullish eg. Platfuss, Gaston, Gervasoni. Sides who dont treat them with respect may be in for a big surprise!

Bout the only suprise teams will get is beating the rovers by 200 when they expected 100. Its sad for o and m footy (joyous for me) that the rovers currenly resembly a steaming pile of what lad of the manor would have depositied in a paddock but thats how footy is today if you arent capible of offering the package you wont sign/keep quality players..... And as is the package over the road is far more appealing and players comming to our area will continue to wear black and white

Bout the only suprise teams will get is beating the rovers by 200 when they expected 100. Its sad for o and m footy (joyous for me) that the rovers currenly resembly a steaming pile of what lad of the manor would have depositied in a paddock but thats how footy is today if you arent capible of offering the package you wont sign/keep quality players..... And as is the package over the road is far more appealing and players comming to our area will continue to wear black and white

Success is generally cyclical - and while Rovers will be down a bit this year there time will come again. It wasn't that long ago when the Magpies were the whipping boys of the league - for quite a while if I remember correctly and Rovers dominated. Not the most humble victors those Magpies fans.

If anyone thinks Nigel Hill is a big loss for the Rovers they weren't at the same games I was at.
I cringed every time I saw him play with the great man Rob Walker's No.12 on his back.
Whoever let that happen should hang there head/s in shame.
I thought the Rovers had more respect for their past greats, but I must be surely mistaken.

It would be a big call to say they could make the five - if they were the only spot I think that looks vulnerable at this very early stage would appear to be the Bulldogs. With the significant uncertainty over Bradshaw's immediate future (court case on Tuesday I've heard), recruit from Ainslie gone to the mines in WA, Clancy to Yack and a number of young good kids to Tallangatta - they may well be the side that could be under pressure to hold their spot.

See Bradshaw was in court on Tuesday - up on aggravated burglary, resisting arrest and unlawful assault (Border Mail today, p17). Confirms a few of the stories that have been on this site. Anyone know what the story was?

Success is generally cyclical - and while Rovers will be down a bit this year there time will come again. It wasn't that long ago when the Magpies were the whipping boys of the league - for quite a while if I remember correctly and Rovers dominated. Not the most humble victors those Magpies fans.

i think generally we have been humble enough over the last couple of years now that the tide has turned. except to the mob across the road who, in the time i lived in the town, from players to committee men to fans treated the wang footy club as a laughing stock and with no respect

ok wang was struggling on field during most of that time but in sport you should always have a level of respect for your opponent. there is never any need to humiliate an opponent unnecessarily, yet rovers people would go out of their way to heap extra humiliation on wang during the dark years. which is why all wang fans are taking extra glee from seeing the rabble that the rovers have become - no flag for what is closing on 15 years, missed finals in 08, couldn't find a coach to the point that they had to talk a favourite son into taking the position and then to top it off their best player heads over the road. sensational!!

I thought he was a tall defender. Am I thinking of the wrong guy, or does he play both ?

think he plays both but more in defense these days.

I'm also told he has had contact from North Albury and Raiders. Must of had a stellar 2008 to attract so much attention, be interesting to see if he leaves premiers jindera to play a higher standard.

There will be a day when the maggies can no longer pay over the top money to attract players, and it mite be closer than ya think...is it right that some fringe players are only just getting paid from the past couple off years..

think he plays both but more in defense these days.

I'm also told he has had contact from North Albury and Raiders. Must of had a stellar 2008 to attract so much attention, be interesting to see if he leaves premiers jindera to play a higher standard.

Does K.Wilson live in Melbourne or on the border? I have heard similar things - that there 3-4 OM clubs vying for this signature.
One rumour going around was the Bullants in the VFL were interested - im not sure how true that one is though.

There will be a day when the maggies can no longer pay over the top money to attract players, and it mite be closer than ya think...is it right that some fringe players are only just getting paid from the past couple off years..

Yeah some of the local boys who played seconds and the occasional seniors game dont get paided on a week to week basis nor do they expect do, i am aware of some payments that were outstanding for 12 months that were payed last year... Dont think it was due to a lack of funding more so organisation. Also as far as i know the supporters have been rallying behind our sponsors and they are happy to stay abord aslong as this continues, the money might stay around for a little longer than the majority of this board wish it to......

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah some of the local boys who played seconds and the occasional seniors game dont get paided on a week to week basis nor do they expect do, i am aware of some payments that were outstanding for 12 months that were payed last year... Dont think it was due to a lack of funding more so organisation. Also as far as i know the supporters have been rallying behind our sponsors and they are happy to stay abord aslong as this continues, the money might stay around for a little longer than the majority of this board wish it to......

Macgyver, if I was a magpies supporter I would be ashamed that a muppet like you followed the same club. By the sounds of things your either a brown nose barely making the second grade, or a footy tragic who rubs the players legs before a game whilst sporting a raging boner. Being a Wodonga player and supporter over the years I have always taken glee from the occasions when we have beaten the Rovers and it comes back to the fact that they were the benchmark for so long and have been without a doubt the most succesful club for the last half century. Players like Matt Allen (399 games), Rob Walker (310+), The Wilson brothers, Peter Tossol, Mark Booth(319), Anthony Pasquali(300+), Mick Caruso(300+) etc are some of the finest players ever to play ovens & murray footy and all are/have been involved at the club in the last few years, and its because people want to be at the Rovers, as opposed to the pies where success is promised on the back of a chequebook instead of the back of hard work and love for the club. Pull your head in you clown and have some respect for your opponents, Rovers or not.

surely you go out every week and show respect for every opponent you play..... regardless of previous results every team is capable of making you look bad if you fall into that trap. the best sides of the modern era have always gone out and treated each opponent as equals and earned respect in return!

Macgyver, if I was a magpies supporter I would be ashamed that a muppet like you followed the same club. By the sounds of things your either a brown nose barely making the second grade, or a footy tragic who rubs the players legs before a game whilst sporting a raging boner. Being a Wodonga player and supporter over the years I have always taken glee from the occasions when we have beaten the Rovers and it comes back to the fact that they were the benchmark for so long and have been without a doubt the most succesful club for the last half century. Players like Matt Allen (399 games), Rob Walker (310+), The Wilson brothers, Peter Tossol, Mark Booth(319), Anthony Pasquali(300+), Mick Caruso(300+) etc are some of the finest players ever to play ovens & murray footy and all are/have been involved at the club in the last few years, and its because people want to be at the Rovers, as opposed to the pies where success is promised on the back of a chequebook instead of the back of hard work and love for the club. Pull your head in you clown and have some respect for your opponents, Rovers or not.

What is your background RatherHaveABeer? Looking back over your previous O&M posts they pretty much all revolve around the Rovers. In January last year you came out with the following "Nope not a rovers fan at all, actually a yarra bloke myself". So is it fair to assume you played with & supported Wodonga, follow Yarrawonga and have an intimate knowledge of Rovers comings & goings & history. Something doesn't seem to gel!!

Does K.Wilson live in Melbourne or on the border? I have heard similar things - that there 3-4 OM clubs vying for this signature.
One rumour going around was the Bullants in the VFL were interested - im not sure how true that one is though.
On the Border it looks as though he will be staying at Jindera.:thumbsu:

Your starting to show some ignorance there old boy, the majority of the players who have supposedly played for the checkbook that you speek of all came to the club because they attended games, functions ect and witnessed the atmosphere around the club and realised it was a place where they'd enjoy their time. Many spent hours perusing over honour boards, past player lists and talking to the club stallwards (ie wobbles) just to get an understanding of what that black and whiter jumper means to every one around the club. If you asked any of the imports who have come and gone what the best part about being at wang was they say playing with a great bunch of blokes/ the respect that is shown to the jumper.... NOT getting payed shitloads of cash (other o&m clubs frequently offer wang players far more then they are currently on to leave but have no interest in leaving for these reasons).

What is your background RatherHaveABeer? Looking back over your previous O&M posts they pretty much all revolve around the Rovers. In January last year you came out with the following "Nope not a rovers fan at all, actually a yarra bloke myself". So is it fair to assume you played with & supported Wodonga, follow Yarrawonga and have an intimate knowledge of Rovers comings & goings & history. Something doesn't seem to gel!!

Nope not at all. Played for Wodonga and thus supported them and still follow them passionately, currently live and work in Yarra and go to every pigeons home game and have very close family connections currently at the Hawks which keeps me in the loop of their progress and 'comings & goings'. Having an intimate knowledge of several clubs allows me to make a more informed opinion sometimes than one eyed supporters, not that there is anything wrong with passionately supporting just the one club......

Nope not at all. Played for Wodonga and thus supported them and still follow them passionately, currently live and work in Yarra and go to every pigeons home game and have very close family connections currently at the Hawks which keeps me in the loop of their progress and 'comings & goings'. Having an intimate knowledge of several clubs allows me to make a more informed opinion sometimes than one eyed supporters, not that there is anything wrong with passionately supporting just the one club......

Fair enough. Just that I had a quick look over all your posts & I can't remember you talking about one Yarra player, you talked about Wodonga a couple of times to bag Keith Ainsworth, but the majority has been pumping up the Rovers tyres. It's good to see someone with such close connections at Yarra and Wodonga following another club with such passion. All the best for '09.

Nth Albury offered Ben Jones $1000 a game !!!!! Jones might be a handy player but no where near worth that coin - and is a clear sign of desperation from the Hoppers. Good luck to Jones, clearly an offer to good to refuse - just hope he actually gets it!

Nth Albury offered Ben Jones $1000 a game !!!!! Jones might be a handy player but no where near worth that coin - and is a clear sign of desperation from the Hoppers. Good luck to Jones, clearly an offer to good to refuse - just hope he actually gets it!

Good on his day but from all reports didn't set the world on fire at Bright, where he should have dominated. A disliking for training may not have helped. Hopefully for the Hoppers his hunger has returned and goes well.

Your starting to show some ignorance there old boy, the majority of the players who have supposedly played for the checkbook that you speek of all came to the club because they attended games, functions ect and witnessed the atmosphere around the club and realised it was a place where they'd enjoy their time. Many spent hours perusing over honour boards, past player lists and talking to the club stallwards (ie wobbles) just to get an understanding of what that black and whiter jumper means to every one around the club. If you asked any of the imports who have come and gone what the best part about being at wang was they say playing with a great bunch of blokes/ the respect that is shown to the jumper.... NOT getting payed shitloads of cash (other o&m clubs frequently offer wang players far more then they are currently on to leave but have no interest in leaving for these reasons).

good post mac. i am sick of all this crap we hear about how wang have pulled out the cheque book to get some success. as has been discussed previously on this board, many of the players they have recruited have had close ties to wang the town and/or the club.

blokes like higgs and mccormick have returned to the club, in mccormick's case for alot less coin than he could have commanded from a number of the clubs chasing him when he left carlton. steer is an old wang boy, trenfield was aligned to the club a few years back when the murray kangaroos were formed, clarke lord and pell came not for big money but for the chance to play regular senior footy after being 2's players at the bullants ( and when they went looking for bigger money recently they were knocked back so went elsewhere)

even blokes like kirby, cosgriff and hayse were regional boys and not your stereotypical melbourne traveller all too ready to head bush, play reasonable footy and collect a bucket load of cash. (hayse it should be said has also knocked back a much better cash offer to play at nth alb in 09 to remain with the maggies). last year thayer and steel also returned to the club, and this year it is gannon and possibly harrington

i think it speaks volumes about the club and its culture that so many players return there after stints elsewhere, and that so many players are prepared to play there for less coin than they can get somewhere else. as for how much they are paying, i am pretty sure it is nowhere near what some border clubs paid to win their flags in the late 90's/early 2000's and still less than what some of those clubs are paying today

good post mac. i am sick of all this crap we hear about how wang have pulled out the cheque book to get some success. as has been discussed previously on this board, many of the players they have recruited have had close ties to wang the town and/or the club.

blokes like higgs and mccormick have returned to the club, in mccormick's case for alot less coin than he could have commanded from a number of the clubs chasing him when he left carlton. steer is an old wang boy, trenfield was aligned to the club a few years back when the murray kangaroos were formed, clarke lord and pell came not for big money but for the chance to play regular senior footy after being 2's players at the bullants ( and when they went looking for bigger money recently they were knocked back so went elsewhere)

even blokes like kirby, cosgriff and hayse were regional boys and not your stereotypical melbourne traveller all too ready to head bush, play reasonable footy and collect a bucket load of cash. (hayse it should be said has also knocked back a much better cash offer to play at nth alb in 09 to remain with the maggies). last year thayer and steel also returned to the club, and this year it is gannon and possibly harrington

i think it speaks volumes about the club and its culture that so many players return there after stints elsewhere, and that so many players are prepared to play there for less coin than they can get somewhere else. as for how much they are paying, i am pretty sure it is nowhere near what some border clubs paid to win their flags in the late 90's/early 2000's and still less than what some of those clubs are paying today

come on capt peanut pull ya head out of the sand, i watch both wang clubs and don't have a preferance for either, but to say that clarke and the like played for the club and not for money is a bit nieve (not sure of the spelling sorry) no doubht they enjoyed there time there, but they kept coming back for the coin, as soon as it stopped they ran, unlike hopper who i agree with ya

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back