Ovens and Murray

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree Lavy Panther.

You are probably a bit biased though as he puts the ball down your throat 10 times a match.

can any of you knowledgeable blokes over there tell me how roachy from the saints is going plays down back is he injured as well and how is his form

also want to know how ex lavington player aaron fang purcell is going for yack is he getting a kick or is he lazy

jimbo jones said:
can any of you knowledgeable blokes over there tell me how roachy from the saints is going plays down back is he injured as well and how is his form

From what I ve seen the last couple of seasons Rochey is a handy player. Plays out of a back pocket

jimbo jones said:
also want to know how ex lavington player aaron fang purcell is going for yack is he getting a kick or is he lazy

from reading the local rag "blinky" must be managing to get a kick or 2. generally bobs up for a goal or 5, and prob has a handfull of b.o.g's to his name as well. keep an eye on him when sept rolls around, that's when he cranks up. he'd still be lazy tho!

Lavy_Panther said:
Kade Stevens would be leading the Morris by nine votes at this stage.

Gee, stevens must have some votes up his sleeve, leading by nine is a bit rich. i hope he has enough to win it, cos i think he's a good player, but blokes like L. Carroll, Maher and anyone of a handful of blokes from yarra, myrt or wodonga would have a fair collection of morris votes as well. Surely there are some blokes in the panthers line up that would be taking there fair share off him? What about Butler, Doherty, and that new bloke hicky?

sharkboy said:
The club only tells one side of the story. I believe Glenn Joyce's side is very different.

little birdi tells me he was standing up against something he didn't agree with and the powers that be didn't like him doing that! So he's trying to move on, good on him.

Thats a bit rich sanso!!
id rekon young jay banks would be taking a few votes off him.
i heard you have a keen interest in rugby now days big fella??

roast beef roll said:
little birdi tells me he was standing up against something he didn't agree with and the powers that be didn't like him doing that! So he's trying to move on, good on him.

Your little birdi knows alot, and I agree good on him.

Pearce off Jack said:
How do you come to that conclusion Panther? What facts are your comments based on? Just curious?

I'm on your side POJ, stevens is a class player but leading by nine votes, lets hear some reasons to support such a statement panther.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yarrawonga boosted by McMillan signing
Paul Daffey
The Age
July 15, 2006

THE June 30 clearance deadline in country football often throws up interesting last-minute signings and it's been no different this season. In the Ovens and Murray Football League, Yarrawonga has fuelled its premiership hopes by signing key forward Marcus McMillan just before the deadline.

McMillan, who is originally from Strathmerton, left Yarrawonga before this season to play with West Adelaide. A fortnight ago, he returned to Yarrawonga and kicked eight goals in his first match back.

The Yarrawonga attack also includes Clinton Runnalls, a former VFL player who was lured to the Pigeons by his cousin, former Richmond rover Craig Ednie. Former Geelong and Hawthorn player Tim Hargreaves leads the competition's goalkicking table with 51 goals from a forward pocket.

Runnalls and Hargreaves, who is 31, are among seven or eight quality players who are rotated through the Yarrawonga midfield. Former Collingwood defender Jason Wild is another. In defence, centre half-back Marc Lonergan was unlucky to miss out on a spot in the Victorian Country squad.

Yarrawonga has won only two Ovens and Murray premierships, in 1959 and '89. Hailing from a town of 6000 (according to the 2001 census), the Pigeons generally find life difficult against clubs from larger towns such as Albury (population 50,000), Wodonga (31,000) and Wangaratta (16,000). This year, however, the Pigeons' biggest challenge is likely to come from the club from a town of only 4300 — Myrtleford.

Myrtleford has won only one Ovens and Murray premiership, in 1970. The Saints last year were on the verge of a fairytale flag, only to lose the grand final when Lavington's Darryn McKimmie kicked a goal after the siren.

Myrtleford this year has been strengthened by the return of former Richmond and Collingwood ruckman Steve McKee, who played junior football with Myrtleford, and today has named former Richmond and North Melbourne player David Bourke for his first match in the Saints guernsey. Bourke kicked four goals in the reserves in his first game for the club last week.

On the debit side, the Saints have been hurt by injuries to captain Brad Murray, a midfielder who last year won the competition's Morris Medal. Murray recently returned from a broken leg only to dislocate his shoulder. He should be out for another month.

Yarrawonga's task today has been eased by Wangaratta Rovers' shocking injury list, while Myrtleford is unlikely to let bottom-placed Wodonga Raiders in for a win like Wangaratta did last week. The match of the round is at Wodonga, where the Bulldogs are to host traditional rival Albury.

Wodonga, the 2004 premier, whose playing coach Jarrod Twitt is in exceptional form in the midfield, has won several close games this year.

Albury, whose playing coach Luke Carroll is also in fine form in the midfield, enjoyed a strong start to the year.

At Lavington, the home team is likely to build on its good fortune from last week, when centre half-forward Tim Sanson, who has been the Lavington playing-coach for eight years, kicked a goal after the siren to give the Panthers victory over Albury. Lavington today should be too strong for North Albury.

At Wangaratta, the home team should be too strong for Corowa-Rutherglen, which has declined since winning premierships in 2000 and 2003, but don't bet on a Wangaratta victory. The Magpies last year were on top of the ladder for much of the season, only to lose the preliminary final. This year they've been wildly inconsistent.

The good news for Wangaratta includes the form of ruckman Dale Carmody, who was captain of this year's interleague team, and the imminent return of former Carlton midfielder Jon McCormick, who has been out for a year following a knee reconstruction.

Lidge said:
Yarrawonga boosted by McMillan signing
Paul Daffey
The Age
July 15, 2006

THE June 30 clearance deadline in country football often throws up interesting last-minute signings and it's been no different this season. In the Ovens and Murray Football League, Yarrawonga has fuelled its premiership hopes by signing key forward Marcus McMillan just before the deadline.

McMillan, who is originally from Strathmerton, left Yarrawonga before this season to play with West Adelaide. A fortnight ago, he returned to Yarrawonga and kicked eight goals in his first match back.

The Yarrawonga attack also includes Clinton Runnalls, a former VFL player who was lured to the Pigeons by his cousin, former Richmond rover Craig Ednie. Former Geelong and Hawthorn player Tim Hargreaves leads the competition's goalkicking table with 51 goals from a forward pocket.

Runnalls and Hargreaves, who is 31, are among seven or eight quality players who are rotated through the Yarrawonga midfield. Former Collingwood defender Jason Wild is another. In defence, centre half-back Marc Lonergan was unlucky to miss out on a spot in the Victorian Country squad.

Yarrawonga has won only two Ovens and Murray premierships, in 1959 and '89. Hailing from a town of 6000 (according to the 2001 census), the Pigeons generally find life difficult against clubs from larger towns such as Albury (population 50,000), Wodonga (31,000) and Wangaratta (16,000). This year, however, the Pigeons' biggest challenge is likely to come from the club from a town of only 4300 — Myrtleford.

Myrtleford has won only one Ovens and Murray premiership, in 1970. The Saints last year were on the verge of a fairytale flag, only to lose the grand final when Lavington's Darryn McKimmie kicked a goal after the siren.

Myrtleford this year has been strengthened by the return of former Richmond and Collingwood ruckman Steve McKee, who played junior football with Myrtleford, and today has named former Richmond and North Melbourne player David Bourke for his first match in the Saints guernsey. Bourke kicked four goals in the reserves in his first game for the club last week.

On the debit side, the Saints have been hurt by injuries to captain Brad Murray, a midfielder who last year won the competition's Morris Medal. Murray recently returned from a broken leg only to dislocate his shoulder. He should be out for another month.

Yarrawonga's task today has been eased by Wangaratta Rovers' shocking injury list, while Myrtleford is unlikely to let bottom-placed Wodonga Raiders in for a win like Wangaratta did last week. The match of the round is at Wodonga, where the Bulldogs are to host traditional rival Albury.

Wodonga, the 2004 premier, whose playing coach Jarrod Twitt is in exceptional form in the midfield, has won several close games this year.

Albury, whose playing coach Luke Carroll is also in fine form in the midfield, enjoyed a strong start to the year.

At Lavington, the home team is likely to build on its good fortune from last week, when centre half-forward Tim Sanson, who has been the Lavington playing-coach for eight years, kicked a goal after the siren to give the Panthers victory over Albury. Lavington today should be too strong for North Albury.

At Wangaratta, the home team should be too strong for Corowa-Rutherglen, which has declined since winning premierships in 2000 and 2003, but don't bet on a Wangaratta victory. The Magpies last year were on top of the ladder for much of the season, only to lose the preliminary final. This year they've been wildly inconsistent.

The good news for Wangaratta includes the form of ruckman Dale Carmody, who was captain of this year's interleague team, and the imminent return of former Carlton midfielder Jon McCormick, who has been out for a year following a knee reconstruction.
Good to see yarra doing well this year .great club and great people. good to see mcmillan return and lonergan fulfilling his potential i hope hargi wins the goalkicking another acheivement to a champion player. Wally Brear is one of the most passionate football personalitys i have ever come across and its people like him who build success. Get to the granny Rudy and myself will be up there for the celebrations quess who GO PIGEONS

Winners today, Yarrawonga, Albury, Lavington, Corowa-Rutherglen and Myrtleford with David Bourke making a handy debut in a big victory.
The five is set now.
It's just a matter of who finishes third with Wodonga slipping up in the last two weeks and opening the the door for Albury and Lavington.
Couple of big games next week, Albury v Yarrawonga and Lavington v Wodonga.

chopsewie said:
Good to see yarra doing well this year .great club and great people. good to see mcmillan return and lonergan fulfilling his potential i hope hargi wins the goalkicking another acheivement to a champion player. Wally Brear is one of the most passionate football personalitys i have ever come across and its people like him who build success. Get to the granny Rudy and myself will be up there for the celebrations quess who GO PIGEONS

Sounds like the yarra boys have won it, they're celebrating already!

roast beef roll said:
Sounds like the yarra boys have won it, they're celebrating already!
just saying for all the hard work the people put in around the place a flag would be well earned . there will be plenty of roast beef rolls with gravy cheese if they win so mark it on the calender and ill shout you one see ya there

chopsewie said:
just saying for all the hard work the people put in around the place a flag would be well earned . there will be plenty of roast beef rolls with gravy cheese if they win so mark it on the calender and ill shout you one see ya there

fair enough, sounds good, as long as i can get some barbecue sauce on that roll. i reckon the boys from the myrt hills, or should i say melb suburbs, will be hoping that they're celebrating as well. time will tell.

roast beef roll said:
fair enough, sounds good, as long as i can get some barbecue sauce on that roll. i reckon the boys from the myrt hills, or should i say melb suburbs, will be hoping that they're celebrating as well. time will tell.
How many Myrtleford boys travel from Melb RBR?

[
Pretty ordinary effort on the raiders behalf on Saturday,rumour has it that the players bus drove straight through the gate and told the gate attendant
that they were not paying to get in! However thats not surprising i wouldnt want to pay to see them either!

roast beef roll said:

Yarra have more travellers than the Myrt boys RBR.

Pearce off Jack said:
How many Myrtleford boys travel from Melb RBR?

Honestly i haven't got a clue, but i'm told that if their bus (which would seat about 12) was to break down on any given saturday morning the saints would be in a spot of bother. I'd say 5-8 travellers, could be wrong!

I'm surprised that the pigeons have more than them.

It'd be interesting to know how many players travel up from melb each week across the whole league! Surely most clubs have some.

Thats about the right amount of numbers for myrt and from what I can gather all are home town boys except 2.

Yarra have twice as many melbourne blokes and It would be interesting to know their connection to the town.

I did hear that rumour at the footy too POJ and if it s true that is a disgusting way to go about it Raiders. Very ordinary effort and one I think could sum up the culture at that club.

BonnScott said:
Thats about the right amount of numbers for myrt and from what I can gather all are home town boys except 2.

Yarra have twice as many melbourne blokes and It would be interesting to know their connection to the town.

I did hear that rumour at the footy too POJ and if it s true that is a disgusting way to go about it Raiders. Very ordinary effort and one I think could sum up the culture at that club.

Prob a fair point bout most of the myrt boys being ex locals, obviously employment opportunities are limited in the hills.
That's the first i've heard about the raiders effort, if it's true, i'm sure it will be dealt with within the club.
Not good enough! Good comment on the culture BS

Perhaps 'chopsewie' could give us some info on the connections of the yarra travellers to their area. i think he's a pigeon follower.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back