Ovens and Murray

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
wang will still win the flag theyve got about 4 to 5 blokes out and got pelly,jordy soll and also jai canny and maybe hopp there all asome players

Mc Cormick is obviously the quality player they are missing but in saying that might take him a few rounds to get going match fitness is a big thing no matter who you are.. Pell and others are good honest players!

On the same token they needed to drop one somewhere.. but give credit to the Roos there gun players are clearly the best in the comp! RHYNO RAINESMAN CLARKE :thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

do you know who was playing on schmidt? i see he kicked a lazy 7. very unusual to see a massive bag of goals kicked against the wang defence.

I think it was one of the Melbourne imports cashew nut. Don't think he is the regular full back, but I may be mistaken.

Solid bloke and got done by pace a few times.

Pretty difficult though when ball coming in like a bullet from the steamtrain rhino...............!!!!!!:D

mate dnt hopp is a quality player he will get bak into it like that and then its going to make other teams having to put there best player on him or tagger which will free up the other on ballers which i thoguht how they played on the weekend was sh********t so they need to be goin at full steamn to keep up wit hopp

mate dnt hopp is a quality player he will get bak into it like that and then its going to make other teams having to put there best player on him or tagger which will free up the other on ballers which i thoguht how they played on the weekend was sh********t so they need to be goin at full steamn to keep up wit hopp

Mate if I were you id worry about getting some help with the english language before anything else

Any chance you could name the recent squad?

Alb - Gaylard, Fowler, Bush
Raiders - Prior
Wod - Williams, Walker
Wang - Cosgriff, Clarke, Hayse, Porter, Lord, Trenfield, Higgs, Kirby
Yarra - Ednie, O'Bryan, Archibald, S.Oswald, L.Oswald, Carlyle, Wollington
North - Horn, R.Hodgson, Leslie
Corowa - Clark, Ryan, Schmidt, Carpenter
Rovers - J.Allan
Lavi - Pendergast

If umpirers are on 1/10th of what Prior is on then that is still almost double the average senior player wage. And do you know why players get paid? Because supporters pay money to go watch THE PLAYERS, and not the increasingly self absorbed ego driven umpires.

Too often umpires bring personal emotions into the game and it is reflective in there inability to handle the odd cuss word from a player vented in frustration. Hell it's even to the point were 50's are awarded against players without warning and without swearing.

You wanna talk about a tough job? How about recklessly running into a pack to win a hard ball against 3 opponents for your team and that is expected as the norm. This is a mans game, so officiate accordingly and harden the f*ck up. Grow some skin umpires, seriously. That's why umpires stocks are falling, because you represent the fraternity in an bewildering manner.

and quote Run Straight

I believe umpires in a major league get $151 per game + 61c per km travel allowance where it is over 8km to the game.

You fellas are lot of fun when stirred up.

I agree with a fair chunk of what Voltron has to say. But he does prove my point with the piss-weak attitude to umpires who, believe it or not, are out there to do the best they possibly can.

The game is about the players. They are the ones putting their bodies on the line and you wouldn't see me putting my hand up to take that kind of physical beating.

Remember that it is not the umpires bringing the emotion to football by mouthing off at the players when they make a mistake. (I reckon that "the odd cuss word" is a little naive)

I have been an umpire for a over decade and I have met some ego-driven individuals (I won't name names). I have also personally umpired with the majority of senior umpires going round at the moment and I know that very few of them fit into this category.

Umpires do go out there to do their best and who can blame them for taking a gob-full of abuse from a player a little bit personally.

As for the payment issue. I am aware that the Senior O&M payment has gone up in the past few years that I have been away from Albury. I reckon the $151 would be the initial payment before insurance and admin deductions.

What is the average senior player payment I wonder?

Alb - Gaylard, Fowler, Bush
Raiders - Prior
Wod - Williams, Walker
Wang - Cosgriff, Clarke, Hayse, Porter, Lord, Trenfield, Higgs, Kirby
Yarra - Ednie, O'Bryan, Archibald, S.Oswald, L.Oswald, Carlyle, Wollington
North - Horn, R.Hodgson, Leslie
Corowa - Clark, Ryan, Schmidt, Carpenter
Rovers - J.Allan
Lavi - Pendergast

what about these players
A Butler-Lav
A.hill-rovers
K.Norman-rovers

and quote Run Straight

I believe umpires in a major league get $151 per game + 61c per km travel allowance where it is over 8km to the game.

You fellas are lot of fun when stirred up.

I agree with a fair chunk of what Voltron has to say. But he does prove my point with the piss-weak attitude to umpires who, believe it or not, are out there to do the best they possibly can.

The game is about the players. They are the ones putting their bodies on the line and you wouldn't see me putting my hand up to take that kind of physical beating.

Remember that it is not the umpires bringing the emotion to football by mouthing off at the players when they make a mistake. (I reckon that "the odd cuss word" is a little naive)

I have been an umpire for a over decade and I have met some ego-driven individuals (I won't name names). I have also personally umpired with the majority of senior umpires going round at the moment and I know that very few of them fit into this category.

Umpires do go out there to do their best and who can blame them for taking a gob-full of abuse from a player a little bit personally.

As for the payment issue. I am aware that the Senior O&M payment has gone up in the past few years that I have been away from Albury. I reckon the $151 would be the initial payment before insurance and admin deductions.

What is the average senior player payment I wonder?

Just wanna say a few things on this matter.

Firstly, I do think the umpires are a little bit underpaid. I say this because I dont think its fair when an umpire is on $150 or even $200 a game and is being asked to umpire a game where there could be $10,000 or even $15,000 worth of players on the park. I think they should continue to be paid by their current employee BUT every week each club gives the ground umpires an extra $100 or even $50 each.

Secondly, I think the umpires in the O&M need to relax a bit and have a bit more of a personality. Personally, if im standing on the mark and am in the umpires ear about a shit decision and he tells me to shut up and concentrate on my own game is fine with me. They dont need to act like little girls and give thier whistles a toot and start going back 50m.

So umpires, remember its not personal and give a bit back every now and then, then I reckon the game will become a better spectacle and umpires wont be disliked as much :thumbsu:

Just wondering what the latest is with Mackie's clearance? Has anymore happened?

Pretty ordinary to make a bloke sit out of footy for a full season, obviously doesn't want to play at North Albury for a reason.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Firstly, I do think the umpires are a little bit underpaid. I say this because I dont think its fair when an umpire is on $150 or even $200 a game and is being asked to umpire a game where there could be $10,000 or even $15,000 worth of players on the park. I think they should continue to be paid by their current employee BUT every week each club gives the ground umpires an extra $100 or even $50 each.

Secondly, I think the umpires in the O&M need to relax a bit and have a bit more of a personality. Personally, if im standing on the mark and am in the umpires ear about a shit decision and he tells me to shut up and concentrate on my own game is fine with me. They dont need to act like little girls and give thier whistles a toot and start going back 50m.

So umpires, remember its not personal and give a bit back every now and then, then I reckon the game will become a better spectacle and umpires wont be disliked as much :thumbsu:

Arnt the clubs "their current employees" anyway.

Is that you shirry?

Shir should definately be in the side - but so should about 15 others. I presume there were alot of 'no thank you's'??

To me the side or squad or whatever it is looks very light on - thank God the Magpies and Yarra seem to take it seriously. Be interested to know who from what club said 'no' to a game?? Anyone know?? Again it is miles away from the best 25 players in the comp.

...Secondly, I think the umpires in the O&M need to relax a bit and have a bit more of a personality. Personally, if im standing on the mark and am in the umpires ear about a shit decision and he tells me to shut up and concentrate on my own game is fine with me. They dont need to act like little girls and give thier whistles a toot and start going back 50m.

I can't talk about this year Gun, but you do make an excellent point about making sure that umpires have a personality. I cant imagine that they want to spend two hours on a weekend not being involved with the players and enjoying the game.

The only issue with this is that some players dont quite know where to draw the line - surely its ok to ask a question about a decision, but would you talk to your boss or teacher the same way that you would yell or shout to an umpire on saturday?

I have also been pondering the issue about umpires fitness and i wonder if this is being tackled from the wrong direction. I know that the O&M umpires must pass fitness tests in order to be selected for games. However the umpires have acknowledged that they are struggling to get new recruits and they have an aging list that with the rules of genetics means that they slow down over time.

Yet as a football officianados we expect them to keep up with players that are in their early to mid 20's and are able to get a footy from one end of the ground (lets say 160m) to the other in less than 20 seconds in some cases. I challenge anyone to be able to do this over a 2 hour period with only 2 of them. Why do you think that the coaches now rotate their midfield - they want 10 minutes of maximum intensity and to run the legs off their opponents.

I know the umpires wanted to move to a 3 umpire system to help with forward line infringements & to reduce the physical stress on the umpires whom are running approx. 16km a game. This would cost about $35 per club per week. But the O&M board decided that this wasnt needed - Not the umpires.

Bottom line is that forwards are always going to be harshly treated because the umps may miss an early hold from a defender - but surely this also occurs at the opposite end of the ground. As the saying goes - your not going to please all the people all the time.

Just something to ponder.

I can't talk about this year Gun, but you do make an excellent point about making sure that umpires have a personality. I cant imagine that they want to spend two hours on a weekend not being involved with the players and enjoying the game.

The only issue with this is that some players dont quite know where to draw the line - surely its ok to ask a question about a decision, but would you talk to your boss or teacher the same way that you would yell or shout to an umpire on saturday?

I have also been pondering the issue about umpires fitness and i wonder if this is being tackled from the wrong direction. I know that the O&M umpires must pass fitness tests in order to be selected for games. However the umpires have acknowledged that they are struggling to get new recruits and they have an aging list that with the rules of genetics means that they slow down over time.

Yet as a football officianados we expect them to keep up with players that are in their early to mid 20's and are able to get a footy from one end of the ground (lets say 160m) to the other in less than 20 seconds in some cases. I challenge anyone to be able to do this over a 2 hour period with only 2 of them. Why do you think that the coaches now rotate their midfield - they want 10 minutes of maximum intensity and to run the legs off their opponents.

I know the umpires wanted to move to a 3 umpire system to help with forward line infringements & to reduce the physical stress on the umpires whom are running approx. 16km a game. This would cost about $35 per club per week. But the O&M board decided that this wasnt needed - Not the umpires.

Bottom line is that forwards are always going to be harshly treated because the umps may miss an early hold from a defender - but surely this also occurs at the opposite end of the ground. As the saying goes - your not going to please all the people all the time.

Just something to ponder.

Its good to see that some good discussion has been stimulated by a few outbursts.

There are some ideas that I reckon are really good. Especially the idea of asking a question to get an answer as opposed to giving a spray and copping 50.

While we're pondering give this little story a thought.

15 years ago there was a surplus of umpires. The Albury Umpires League was supplying umpires to the O&M, TDFL, Hume League, Coreen League, Upper Murray on Saturday and AWJFL and Riverina on Sunday. ALL GRADES down to 3rds.

As I understand it now only O&M 1's and 2's and most district 1's get AUL umpires. Riverina and Coreen has gone, Upper Murray is an afterthought. All the other grades are supplied by club blokes filling in out of necessity

The numbers say it all. Something has gone wrong in this time.

More money would help. Especially in keeping good umpires running. This is how it works: the AUL invoices the leagues for their services who, in turn, invoice their clubs. i.e. the Clubs already foot the bill.

I highlighted the sentence in CEO's quote because this is important to me when I umpire. And perhaps a few umpires could do well remembering it. We are only part of the game, an important part yes, but still only one part.

I'm sure there are some sideline experts out there who are capable and even interested. Those are the people we need to solve the umpiring problem. I can pass on contact numbers should anyone want to put their hand up.

NB: I left before the North East Umpires Board was formed so you may need to replace AUL with NEUB in some places. The AUL does still exist though.

Shir should definately be in the side - but so should about 15 others. I presume there were alot of 'no thank you's'??

To me the side or squad or whatever it is looks very light on - thank God the Magpies and Yarra seem to take it seriously. Be interested to know who from what club said 'no' to a game?? Anyone know?? Again it is miles away from the best 25 players in the comp.

The truth is the whole O and M comp is light on compared to what it was four or five years ago. I watched the GF last year after being away for a few, and was staggered at the drop in standard for supposedly the two best sides in it.
I’ve watched this forum recently and all I see is everyone raving about Jake Ryan??? Deary me......
I think if he is rated one of the best on-ballers running around then that is a fair reflection on how the O and M standard has dropped.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back