Ovens & King FL discussion 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Sam Burdon to Whorouly, anyone know much about him? Couldn’t see the article in the chronicle online as didn’t want to fork out the $

Played most his footy at wagunyah and coached seniors there I think 2018 and they have a real good go at it but think he got shafted and has stayed away from footy for a while. Think he signed at Moyhu a few years back but didn’t play. He would be mid 30s, plagued by injury. Best footy is well and truely behind him. I’d assume he is just assistant?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I
Played most his footy at wagunyah and coached seniors there I think 2018 and they have a real good go at it but think he got shafted and has stayed away from footy for a while. Think he signed at Moyhu a few years back but didn’t play. He would be mid 30s, plagued by injury. Best footy is well and truely behind him. I’d assume he is just assistant?

thought I recognised the name but couldn’t remember where from.

Any other new signings accross the league?

What’s the story with Tarra, no coach, 5 blokes at training. Not looking good. I see Moyhu have started training also. About 15-20 at each training but looks like Darren Bell who’s coaching a junior league team may have a few juniors down there keen to start early and help with the numbers. Milawa rumoured to have had 40 at training last week

Can anyone share the article from the chronicle re the hoppers signings and coach? Couldn’t get a look at it online.
They look to have picked up a lot of young kids some of which are handy players which is a good for them but how will they manage points wise I wonder ? How many points does a kid out of the O&M thirds attract ?

After seeing coaching appointments over these last few years it has me wondering about a coach demanding or commanding his respect towards his coaching abilities. Your mick newtons, steve nightingales, scott mcmasters and mick wilsons earnt their respects accordingly eg their football cv’s. For mine i believe it has largely fallen away. How does a calvene or wheeler/branson command the respect the forementioned blokes did? The only coaches of the past 5 years that i believe have given the said “hard approach” would be newbold and edwards. For mine those 2 blokes have been the only fellas that dished out a few hard truths or dropped a player regardless of his surname.

I cant see steve johnson playing favorites at yarra

I just feel that all clubs have dropped off in this respect, but am open to opinions as this is where we feed our thoughts
Great topic!

I feel like the changing times and money come into this. Most of who you mentioned aside from Edwards were all in a similar era, but all were also of similar age, coached for more than a year or 2 and were extremely invested in on field success as well as building a good culture off field.
Kids these days don’t know if they need a shit of a haircut, the 3rds comp is gone so there goes the basis of building blokes for long term. I don’t think we will see many long term stalwarts going forward like we have over the last 10-20 years. Money, loyalty and attitude all come into play here and I don’t think younger people are as hungry to play footy for th love of it like years gone by. I think clubs appointment who they can when they can sometimes just to stay afloat even though it may not be ideal. I know personally I gave my respect and did what I was told by whoever was coaching me, even if sometimes I didn’t agree with it. If I thought I could do a better job, sacrifice my time and do all the crap coaches would I’d put my hand up to do the job myself.
Coaches like newton, Wilson, edwards, Macmasters don’t come around every year. And there are a heap more who would be in the same ilk had they won flags

Hearing Tarra won’t field a side, any truth to this? Tipping Milawa to slide to the bottom three. Leagues in a sad state to be honest.

Hearing Tarra won’t field a side, any truth to this? Tipping Milawa to slide to the bottom three. Leagues in a sad state to be honest.
Are you going to break your own record for accounts made and dribble spoken this year Geoff. Off to a slow start this year and quality has dropped right off even for your poor standards. Sad state to be honest.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Are you going to break your own record for accounts made and dribble spoken this year Geoff. Off to a slow start this year and quality has dropped right off even for your poor standards. Sad state to be honest.
What’s your take on the state of the league? Where do you see it in ten years time?

also hearing tarra in all sorts but believe the league is looking as good as it has been since before the glenrowen days, bright, greta, bonnie doon, milawa, benalla all looking to be on a similar playing level looking to be an even top 5 at least

Tarra struggling is the result of the league having no junior system, next thing there will be no twos comp with only a poor standard of footy at 2pm. This year it’s more enticing to play twos footy in town with both Rovers and Magpies serious contenders in both grades, expect a few more blokes from Milawa to jump of the sinking ship and try their luck in the big smoke.

Tarra struggling is the result of the league having no junior system, next thing there will be no twos comp with only a poor standard of footy at 2pm. This year it’s more enticing to play twos footy in town with both Rovers and Magpies serious contenders in both grades, expect a few more blokes from Milawa to jump of the sinking ship and try their luck in the big smoke.
whos left milawa?

Great topic!

I feel like the changing times and money come into this. Most of who you mentioned aside from Edwards were all in a similar era, but all were also of similar age, coached for more than a year or 2 and were extremely invested in on field success as well as building a good culture off field.
Kids these days don’t know if they need a s**t of a haircut, the 3rds comp is gone so there goes the basis of building blokes for long term. I don’t think we will see many long term stalwarts going forward like we have over the last 10-20 years. Money, loyalty and attitude all come into play here and I don’t think younger people are as hungry to play footy for th love of it like years gone by. I think clubs appointment who they can when they can sometimes just to stay afloat even though it may not be ideal. I know personally I gave my respect and did what I was told by whoever was coaching me, even if sometimes I didn’t agree with it. If I thought I could do a better job, sacrifice my time and do all the crap coaches would I’d put my hand up to do the job myself.
Coaches like newton, Wilson, edwards, Macmasters don’t come around every year. And there are a heap more who would be in the same ilk had they won flag
whos left milawa?
Seriously Tarra and Milawa struggling? Can’t be blamed on no 3rds as clubs existed for many years without 3rds.
Both clubs amongst others have paid significant $$$ over the years, so what has happened?

Seriously Tarra and Milawa struggling? Can’t be blamed on no 3rds as clubs existed for many years without 3rds.
Both clubs amongst others have paid significant $$$ over the years, so what has happened?
Their players are all older and no one is coming through, because there are no juniors, that’s what happened. Also I wouldn’t lump Tarra in the same category as Milawa, Milawa have spent triple what other clubs have spent on players, and for what? They couldn’t even buy a premiership in the end.

Has sportsbet got odds for how long it takes big jase to be suspended again? Although I must admit he does keep this forum beguiled

Hearing NW are going to improve a lot, I find this difficult to believe, they’ve lost their only two decent players in Josh Marmo and Matt Smith and haven’t appeared to recruit anyone of note. Why can’t they retain players?

Pretty sure Milawa have picked up 5 or 6 new players so can’t see them dropping off too much.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Pretty sure Milawa have picked up 5 or 6 new players so can’t see them dropping off too much.

Hopefully the coaches have been watching Sesame Street in the off season and learned to count to 18, wouldn’t want too many players on the field at one time, you could be stripped off your points.

Hearing NW are going to improve a lot, I find this difficult to believe, they’ve lost their only two decent players in Josh Marmo and Matt Smith and haven’t appeared to recruit anyone of note. Why can’t they retain players?
Is there a better surface to play than that at the site of the old dog track? Nice incentive to play there.

Hopefully the coaches have been watching Sesame Street in the off season and learned to count to 18, wouldn’t want too many players on the field at one time, you could be stripped off your points.

Still hurts, Geoff?

3daf93d4e971dc00e99a60c2f0f70af2.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Ovens & King FL discussion 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Back