Ovens & King football 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Ive been sitting back from afar watching you bait everyone Big Bruiser having a chuckle..but ive got to pull you up on this one..
How can you say Glenrowan planned for the future when they don't have one..they spent all there money in 4 years, if they had planned for the future they may have spent there money on Local players instead of a convoy of players up the highway
The tigers were almost cooked, I think the fact the club (not just Mcphail) started seriously approaching other clubs while they were still strong and had cash showed they were looking to the future, probably banking a little bit on some struggling clubs to be enticed.
They weren’t thinking along the lines of “ohh cash is drying up let’s bail” it was more what can we do to make sure we are still around for a long time. Glenrowan barely has a township or a big enough community to standalone, it was always going to be tough with out bringing guys from outside. People say the club had nothing to offer, I think the small amount of locals and anybody with a connection to the town or club would’ve followed.

Give it a spell bruiser! Have a rest from Bigfooty for a year or 50.
All your points regarding Glenrowan, Milawa and North Wang are so contradicting.
I’m almost certain you’re just trying to wind people up because surely no one is really just as annoying as you!
Although if you are either one of the two people I think you could be then maybe...
But can you give us all a rest from all your 100% right and factual comments for a while.
Minutes of my life that will never return reading your dribble!
Breaking news:
Bonniedoon to merge with Wangaratta Magpies and join the ovens and Murray.
Make of it what you will.

So to get a season in I’m assuming we would have to play everyone once?

Would any clubs entertain the idea of playing a shorter season than that?

Would there need to be a time frame for a pre season before games start?

The blokes that run the league are still out of job. Can’t have a season without the people that run the comp.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

The tigers were almost cooked, I think the fact the club (not just Mcphail) started seriously approaching other clubs while they were still strong and had cash showed they were looking to the future, probably banking a little bit on some struggling clubs to be enticed.
They weren’t thinking along the lines of “ohh cash is drying up let’s bail” it was more what can we do to make sure we are still around for a long time. Glenrowan barely has a township or a big enough community to standalone, it was always going to be tough with out bringing guys from outside. People say the club had nothing to offer, I think the small amount of locals and anybody with a connection to the town or club would’ve followed.
At least Glenrowan has a pub! But that the publican had no time for his local team & sponsors the Blues speaks volumes as to how the Tigers were perceived & accepted by their own local community.

They have more of a township than half the other teams in the comp ??

T
Why would say that chucker ??

Moyhu have been struggling for numbers the past 4-5 seasons on the footy field. Have been having players from the seniors to play reserves beforehand or reserves back up to the seniors, or relying on ex players that have finished their careers to fill in. They were 5 or 6 less players away from being in big trouble. Ex players are actually gun shy to go watch so they don’t get hassled to play. Have always had a smaller supporter base compared to other clubs shown by when you play Moyhu the gate takings are smaller with not much of a crowd that follows them, including their home game its the same so not just on away games. Had the attitude for years through the late 90’s and 00’s when getting a younger player in to their team, that other clubs can develop them and we will buy them. It worked had a very successful period for the club. It they never wanted a thirds team to help look to the future till the writing was on the wall and got the Renegades up and going which was too late for junior football in the league was struggling big time then. They have been struggling to attract recruits to stay for the 4-7 years in a row to build that core group and recruit top up players. A lot of those recruits have gone back and forward between other clubs. I see Alex McDonald is back on board and was always know as the financial backing through that golden period so things may change in the next few seasons. Guess we will know more about Moyhu at the end of 2021 with a proper season completed.

If I was in charge I’d force a Greta, Glenrowan merge, and get wahgunyah in to the league, this coupled with NW eventually becoming more competitive would make for a far better competition.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

T

Moyhu have been struggling for numbers the past 4-5 seasons on the footy field. Have been having players from the seniors to play reserves beforehand or reserves back up to the seniors, or relying on ex players that have finished their careers to fill in. They were 5 or 6 less players away from being in big trouble. Ex players are actually gun shy to go watch so they don’t get hassled to play. Have always had a smaller supporter base compared to other clubs shown by when you play Moyhu the gate takings are smaller with not much of a crowd that follows them, including their home game its the same so not just on away games. Had the attitude for years through the late 90’s and 00’s when getting a younger player in to their team, that other clubs can develop them and we will buy them. It worked had a very successful period for the club. It they never wanted a thirds team to help look to the future till the writing was on the wall and got the Renegades up and going which was too late for junior football in the league was struggling big time then. They have been struggling to attract recruits to stay for the 4-7 years in a row to build that core group and recruit top up players. A lot of those recruits have gone back and forward between other clubs. I see Alex McDonald is back on board and was always know as the financial backing through that golden period so things may change in the next few seasons. Guess we will know more about Moyhu at the end of 2021 with a proper season completed.

They have struggled to recruit players because they cant and wont pay the ridiculous money that these recruits are getting, Ive been there for 20 odd years and have never heard once the comment that let other teams develop them and we will buy them..and cant remember a young bloke being poached from another club, theres been a few experienced players come across wanting success in the early 2000's..
The wheel turns as it did for Milawa and Tarra who were absolutely Horrendous back in the day, to Moyhus credit they never stooped that low

T

Hard to argue with the majority of your point up to this latest preseason except the points in reference to young players and poaching After someone else developed them , simply nonsense !
Yes in recent seasons they have struggled and dropped the overall standard across all areas of the club .
But be assured the wheel is turning ! With smart coaching appointments both netball and football have recruited as well as anyone . It would be fair to say that the netball environment that has been created has made them the club to be at for the junior girls especially with over 80 registering for try outs .Before you say who cares about netball like it or not it is an integral part of a successful club . Check out the history of Glenrowans netball situation in the the few years leading up to their now non existence . It was a total shambles with a president who’s strategy for dealing with problems was to tell them their sacked and not welcome .
Most importantly they have a very active and determined committee which is already making a real difference behind the scenes. Not saying they will reach the lofty heights of the the two thousands but who knows what could happen in the future. But the suggestion that they are next on the chopping block couldn’t be further from the truth.

Tell me how this would be a bad thing? You guys want to be blasted into oblivion in the next couple of years?
Aside from Milawa being unbeatable the salary cap & points system will increasingly make the likelihood of teams being “blasted into oblivion” unlikely. I’m sure most on this forum would agree that aside from Milawa, in 2019 games were more competitive, there were more closer contests with winning margins reduced. Going forward I see nothing to suggest this won’t continue but you’re welcome to hypothesise & hold that opinion.

Aside from Milawa being unbeatable the salary cap & points system will increasingly make the likelihood of teams being “blasted into oblivion” unlikely. I’m sure most on this forum would agree that aside from Milawa, in 2019 games were more competitive, there were more closer contests with winning margins reduced. Going forward I see nothing to suggest this won’t continue but you’re welcome to hypothesise & hold that opinion.
Agree totally with this view. About time someone posted some sense on here. Without a doubt Milawa was a standout but they won’t last forever with an aging list. The league hasn’t been this even for the better part of 15 years. Most weeks I was getting shocked results, looking at the scores and seeing 5-10 point games instead of 300 point drubbings of glenrowan in the mud heap on the side of the freeway. League is evening up, the points system and cap were always going to take time but we’re starting to see some results.

Agree totally with this view. About time someone posted some sense on here. Without a doubt Milawa was a standout but they won’t last forever with an aging list. The league hasn’t been this even for the better part of 15 years. Most weeks I was getting shocked results, looking at the scores and seeing 5-10 point games instead of 300 point drubbings of glenrowan in the mud heap on the side of the freeway. League is evening up, the points system and cap were always going to take time but we’re starting to see some results.
Remove your rose coloured glasses, Milawa went undefeated for the year and another side didn’t win a game.
The salary cap was to stop ridiculous signings, which Milawa still managed to do. The points system is there to discourage the exact situation Milawa have recently created, in poaching Moore from a rival club. It will never be an even comp when cash payments and incentives outside the cap are being delivered.
Milawa robbed Bright by having Hughes kick 5 and never be seen again, it was morally wrong, but wouldn’t expect much more from the club.

Hard to argue with the majority of your point up to this latest preseason except the points in reference to young players and poaching After someone else developed them , simply nonsense !
Yes in recent seasons they have struggled and dropped the overall standard across all areas of the club .
But be assured the wheel is turning ! With smart coaching appointments both netball and football have recruited as well as anyone . It would be fair to say that the netball environment that has been created has made them the club to be at for the junior girls especially with over 80 registering for try outs .Before you say who cares about netball like it or not it is an integral part of a successful club . Check out the history of Glenrowans netball situation in the the few years leading up to their now non existence . It was a total shambles with a president who’s strategy for dealing with problems was to tell them their sacked and not welcome .
Most importantly they have a very active and determined committee which is already making a real difference behind the scenes. Not saying they will reach the lofty heights of the the two thousands but who knows what could happen in the future. But the suggestion that they are next on the chopping block couldn’t be further from the truth.

I hope Moyhu do bounce back strongly for when they are up and going they are a very competitive team and lift the standard of the competition. Also being a foundation club you don’t want them to go. I was just saying apart from Glenrowan who have gone they were the next one in trouble and had to do something. Hopefully it builds from the next full season.

As for the “let other clubs develop them” that is fact. A then president who is now involved at Wangaratta told me so after a game where they beat us comprehensively. He said you have some loyal young players coming through, we offered your two best players today a good match fee and they declined. We also have our eye on some of your current thirds players that are standing out. Also went on to say a few other names from other teams they targeted and that declined their offers too.

I hope Moyhu do bounce back strongly for when they are up and going they are a very competitive team and lift the standard of the competition. Also being a foundation club you don’t want them to go. I was just saying apart from Glenrowan who have gone they were the next one in trouble and had to do something. Hopefully it builds from the next full season.

As for the “let other clubs develop them” that is fact. A then president who is now involved at Wangaratta told me so after a game where they beat us comprehensively. He said you have some loyal young players coming through, we offered your two best players today a good match fee and they declined. We also have our eye on some of your current thirds players that are standing out. Also went on to say a few other names from other teams they targeted and that declined their offers too.

I find it very hard to believe that Sherro would let you know he was chasing your players and had offered them money, he keeps his cards very close to his chest..And even if he did say that, him chasing kids from another club doesn't mean that “let other clubs develop them” is the Policy of the Moyhu footy club, i think all clubs chase each others players old and young..i know for a fact that the top half a dozen players at moyhu have been targeted by other O&K clubs so is that their policy as well ??

Remove your rose coloured glasses, Milawa went undefeated for the year and another side didn’t win a game.
The salary cap was to stop ridiculous signings, which Milawa still managed to do. The points system is there to discourage the exact situation Milawa have recently created, in poaching Moore from a rival club. It will never be an even comp when cash payments and incentives outside the cap are being delivered.
Milawa robbed Bright by having Hughes kick 5 and never be seen again, it was morally wrong, but wouldn’t expect much more from the club.
I say the salary cap & points system are working to even out the comp, but cite Milawa last season as an exception then you claim they fudged the books! Priceless. Thanks for validating my point.

Remove this Banner Ad

Ovens & King football 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Back