Ovens & Murray Season 2013

Remove this Banner Ad

10 clubs with only two coaches as player/coaches(B.Holland,Aker) Non playing coaches or Co coaching is coming more of popular trend these days in O&M.

Who was the last Player/coach to win a flag?
I don't think there were any playing coaches in the GVFL last 2 years....this season there could be 2 or 3.

Saker forgot about him.
Murray/Corcoran comes under Co coaching.

who was last player/coach to win an O&M flag?????

Barnes was a co-coach in yarra's flag this year.
Previous premiership teams and coaches (NP - non playing, P - playing)
2011/2010/2009 Albury - Spargo NP
2008/2007 wang - Lappin NP
2006 yarra - Craig NP
2005 Lavi - Sanson P
2004 wodonga - Bence NP
2003 Corowa - Tossol NP
2002 north - Lambert P
2001 Lavi - Sanson P
2000 Corowa - Tossol NP

There's a bit of a mixture of playing/non playing in the above mentioned period. It's dominated by non playing coaches of recent years, but when you consider Wang went back to back and Albury scored a hatrick it kind of throws the balance a bit.
I think the idea of co coaches has been around a long time, it's just now the off field coach is being given a title and some cash. Most playing coaches over the years have had a right hand man on the bench who had a big input on game day.

I know it has been spoken about before on this forum but the whole contract thing seems to be happening more and more often.

In recent times I can think of steer from wang, Ben bell from rovers, lee from lavi, shir and doswell from wodonga and the recent pettifer contract going to yarra! I'm sure there has been more.

Do the contracts not hold up as a legal document?
Do clubs have to play hard ball and say there will be no way once you sign that you will be released?
Or does there need to be a rule that contracted players are not allowed to be spoken to by other clubs until contract and season is finished?

I know it has been spoken about before on this forum but the whole contract thing seems to be happening more and more often.

In recent times I can think of steer from wang, Ben bell from rovers, lee from lavi, shir and doswell from wodonga and the recent pettifer contract going to yarra! I'm sure there has been more.

Do the contracts not hold up as a legal document?
Do clubs have to play hard ball and say there will be no way once you sign that you will be released?
Or does there need to be a rule that contracted players are not allowed to be spoken to by other clubs until contract and season is finished?

Some time around 2004/2005 I vaguely remember that Henty??? Made one of the Seymour brothers stand out of football for a year when they were attempting to cross to Wodonga Saints. I think this is more than fair. Clubs make a commitment to a player financially and of course would consider that that players position is one they don't need to recruit for during the contracted period so surely they should expect the same commitment in return. Otherwise don't sign.

Especially when employment has been organised! Incredible that a bloke could then turn up for work the next day/week if it was part of the initial signing on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How many points would load up on the mini bus that heads out to / used to head out to Osborne each week for training. What about the remote club Mitta Mitta United - points - i don' t think so!

Money isn't always there forever. A few clubs are dominating at the moment but I think in a few years there will be other clubs on top of the ladder.

I don't know enough about the points system to comment on it. But if it was such a great idea I would have thought everyone would already be doing it!

As a keen follower of a great comp, which is now going backwards due to a couple of clubs having too much cash---points system is the only way and should be brought in Australia wide.

Not sure about your comment it is going backwards (due to dominance presumably).
Last year Rovers were 2 points from a grandfinal, the year before Lavi was a couple of points from a grandfinal. Although they didn't get close, with the line up the Raiders had last year they should have.
That's 4 teams that had a good shot of winning a flag in the past 2 years. Other teams have had their chances but have not taken them.

Success is a cycle...

Not sure about your comment it is going backwards (due to dominance presumably).
Last year Rovers were 2 points from a grandfinal, the year before Lavi was a couple of points from a grandfinal. Although they didn't get close, with the line up the Raiders had last year they should have.
That's 4 teams that had a good shot of winning a flag in the past 2 years. Other teams have had their chances but have not taken them.

Success is a cycle...
Or which club has the benefactor with the most money at the time. Don't worry its the same in suburban footy eg.Maribenong Parks benefactor has gone to Deer Park and brought 16 recruits with him.

As a keen follower of a great comp, which is now going backwards due to a couple of clubs having too much cash---points system is the only way and should be brought in Australia wide.
I think it is only doing well in remote areas at the moment....I think some WA country leagues brought it in first to stop domination from towns propped up by mining companies flying a lot of Good Perth players in......I think the Goulburn Valley League last year was good enough without it...We finished on top and defeated Seymour who finished 6th in GF. With the recruiting that Echuca Shep Swans and Kyabram have done, I think those 3 sides will be closer this year. Only can't see Euroa, Benalla and Shep Bears challenging for a final spot....so I think that is good enough without a points system. How competitive were the O&M clubs that were say 4-8 last year?

For the premier country league, the margins between some of the top and bottom sides were embarrassing. Perhaps a better gauge would be the strength of the reserves competition, outside of the top three teams it was very ordinary. The Ellinbank league runs a points system (five grades of football and six of netball) and it has sixteen teams. It contains some remnants of the formerly strong West Gippsland league and Latrobe Valley league. Points systems can be arranged anyway that a league sees fit; senior games played, ex AFL returning to former club, one club player, population size and more. What it requires is a league administration with a vision for the future and a working party prepared to explore and then shop the various options. If our game has never been a better spectacle why are less kids playing through to adulthood? Andrew, are you there Andrew?

Go for Corowa to pick up some handy recruits as it may be another tough year.
Also heard Nick Raines former Richmond?? On the move to the O&M from the EDFL.
Pat Rose to be back in the O&M but not with Raiders??
Is there any truth on the Jason Gram to North Albury Rumour? Would be a VERY GOOD get if so.

Remove this Banner Ad

Ovens & Murray Season 2013

Remove this Banner Ad

Back