Ovens & Murray Season 2013

Remove this Banner Ad

With Daniel Cross finishing up at the Western Bulldogs this week, there would be any number of O & M clubs who would love his services - Albury would definately be the front runner, I would infact be surprised if he played anywhere else if he were in the O & M as his ties to AFC are still very strong. Personally if I were GWS I would offer him a 1 or 2 year contract to help their young list in all facets of getting the best ut of yourself. Could be interesting off season with Crossy, Kossie, Schneider and a few others finishing up. Could we see another influx of ex ALF Stars into the league I wonder.

On another note, I know Wang Rovers signed a good player in the last few days, but they would want to lock down a coach real quick so they can keep their list together. Any news or chances on that front yet?

So any chance of crossy going to the hoppers?? The aker connection? Im surprised north havnt already signed any new players for next year yet with the contacts they would have through several people involved there?? Gram would have plenty of ex saints mates surely.

In what regard do you say this?
As in he did not do anything wrong and coping a week is disgraceful or he whacked him, got found guilty and deserved alot more weeks?

The latter. There is evidence available to show exactly how Greer came to being severely concussed.

The latter. There is evidence available to show exactly how Greer came to being severely concussed.

Does anyone know any info on Yarra's possible inclusions this week and how their sore blokes got through last week in what was not the most bruising encounter against Lavy I'm told? Any more back from injury to face the tigers? Leslie will play clearly, Pettifer looks OK but then with Geelong playing Freo Sat arvo down in Geelong, does that simply rule out Ottens with coaching duties? Obviously they are trying to fight back from a hiding 2 weeks ago, but with a few blokes in and a couple others a bit fresher it might be a more even contest (hopefully)?

Nearly every member of the 2AY call team where disgusted in the umpiring against north albury on Sunday. Jake Bourke had the same views. It was disgusting.

Nearly every member of the 2AY call team where disgusted in the umpiring against north albury on Sunday. Jake Bourke had the same views. It was disgusting.
Was it due to umpire town/club alliances? I have heard a few clubs in the GV feeling the same. Now that the AFL is running the old VCFL, why can't they provide at least one AFL/VFL listed umpire to each major league final match so there is one neutral umpire.

See in todays ,Border Mail talkback forum with host David Johnston,one poster commented Lavington are trying to get Shepparton United guns in champion full forward Eagle, and gun midfielder Huy.These guys are proven very good players at this level and would be a huge recruiting coup if Lavy can secure them.
Huy was a gun up here in QLD for Redlands and is named one of the best 6 players consistently for Shepp.United in home and away games this season.
Eagle, has kicked some 650 goals so far in his career ( about 26 years of age) , in comps that include the Sunraysia, Cairns, Neafl,and gvfl leagues.

Well said Fowls. Won't stop people like NETGEAR & Kevin Known posting lies tho :thumbsdown:

Strange post considering it has been confirmed to be 90% correct to date (also by the man himself) and if he gets selected in the seconds this week well it proves to be even more spot on I guess, as discussed it seems he will play no matter where selected which is good news for everyone concerned. It is also a strange post cause this was finished with 2 weeks ago. Nice work though Noah, good input even though it's a bit late, anything to to say about the finals series we are now in?:thumbsu:

Was it due to umpire town/club alliances? I have heard a few clubs in the GV feeling the same. Now that the AFL is running the old VCFL, why can't they provide at least one AFL/VFL listed umpire to each major league final match so there is one neutral umpire.

I am not sure there is ever anything untoward about the umpiring this time of year. I just think with the finals the players lift, the intensity lifts and the crowd gets alot more involved, with that I think with the limited resources and quality of umpires they struggle to handle the increase pressure of both the game and the crowd. Not really their fault as there isn't many of them, let alone top quality one's, but bad decisions definately stand out more and when a side gets a few in a row it really seems to stand out - a few at North Albury were none too pleased with many decisions late in Sundays game, but it seems Aker was too busy trying to whack Albury and forgot about the rest of his whinge! He has done a fair bit of whinging since entering the comp thats for sure! Hopefully the Border don't ask him any more questions now they are out of it....

I am not sure there is ever anything untoward about the umpiring this time of year. I just think with the finals the players lift, the intensity lifts and the crowd gets alot more involved, with that I think with the limited resources and quality of umpires they struggle to handle the increase pressure of both the game and the crowd. Not really their fault as there isn't many of them, let alone top quality one's, but bad decisions definately stand out more and when a side gets a few in a row it really seems to stand out - a few at North Albury were none too pleased with many decisions late in Sundays game, but it seems Aker was too busy trying to whack Albury and forgot about the rest of his whinge! He has done a fair bit of whinging since entering the comp thats for sure! Hopefully the Border don't ask him any more questions now they are out of it....
fair point with extra intensity, extra criticism...but I still think we can get an AFL umpire for each final. There are 10 teams playing less AFL this week=5 matches. 3 Field + 1 emergency= 20 field umpires not doing AFL this week. Throw in same or more from the VFL, as they are now down to 2 finals matches this weekend that equates to a lot of quality umpires that should be made available to country major leagues for finals. Spreads the best local umpires further too for minor league finals and/or reserves/under18's in the major leagues

(Log in to remove this ad.)

fair point with extra intensity, extra criticism...but I still think we can get an AFL umpire for each final. There are 10 teams playing less AFL this week=5 matches. 3 Field + 1 emergency= 20 field umpires not doing AFL this week. Throw in same or more from the VFL, as they are now down to 2 finals matches this weekend that equates to a lot of quality umpires that should be made available to country major leagues for finals. Spreads the best local umpires further too for minor league finals and/or reserves/under18's in the major leagues

Argh, I now get what you are saying and it is a fantastic idea:thumbsu: . It would be a huge help shuffling umpires down through the grades of leagues to improve over all umpiring for this time of year as they free up. It would also help the local tallent with the better umpire helping in the high pressure situations that arise.

Very good idea and hopefully someone reads it as I don't think it happens currently which is probably just due to the cost issue (which shouldn't be considered come finals time). Question, does O & M grand final day still use local umpires or do they attempt to get in AFL / VFL umpires in for the most important game of the year? As per your post, if not why not?

I have watched a few O & M and GVFL games this year and it is my opinion that the O & M umpires are quite good. The GVFL does not have independent umpires for the reserves whereas I have seen some very good umpiring at reserves level in the O & M. By all means bemoan the lack of numbers but don't be too critical of performances until you have seen how things pan out in other leagues. The best umpires are those who keep communicating during the game and letting the players know what is going on with ball during play. The umpire's best asset is his/her voice, not the whistle.

I have watched a few O & M and GVFL games this year and it is my opinion that the O & M umpires are quite good. The GVFL does not have independent umpires for the reserves whereas I have seen some very good umpiring at reserves level in the O & M. By all means bemoan the lack of numbers but don't be too critical of performances until you have seen how things pan out in other leagues. The best umpires are those who keep communicating during the game and letting the players know what is going on with ball during play. The umpire's best asset is his/her voice, not the whistle.

Yeah agree, solid post Woody, I watch alot of VFL and Ammo footy over the course of the year also and I feel the consistency in O & M is quite good, just a few shockers occassionally, it seems one may have come in the final last week.

I still think if there are very good umpires from higher levels that are not umpiring come September, that as Tatsean suggested it would be wonderful to get them all out and about and have top quality umpiring to hopefully match the footy.

Yeah agree, solid post Woody, I watch alot of VFL and Ammo footy over the course of the year also and I feel the consistency in O & M is quite good, just a few shockers occassionally, it seems one may have come in the final last week.

I still think if there are very good umpires from higher levels that are not umpiring come September, that as Tatsean suggested it would be wonderful to get them all out and about and have top quality umpiring to hopefully match the footy.

For Heavens sake Kev, slow it down man, at this rate if you're not careful you'll end up replying to your own post.

PS: Well said, Fowls.

For Heavens sake Kev, slow it down man, at this rate if you're not careful you'll end up replying to your own post.

PS: Well said, Fowls.

Fair enough I might have over cooked it, just pumped up for some finals footy and talking a bit of finals footy, and have a little spare time on my hands currently.... All good, as I will be busy at the MCG for the tripple header of great games this weekend, so I will leave you alone WIAB. If you have anything interesting to post I promise I will read it but won't reply for you:thumbsu: Good luck to anyone playing this weekend, good time of year to be in the action!

See in todays ,Border Mail talkback forum with host David Johnston,one poster commented Lavington are trying to get Shepparton United guns in champion full forward Eagle, and gun midfielder Huy.These guys are proven very good players at this level and would be a huge recruiting coup if Lavy can secure them.
Huy was a gun up here in QLD for Redlands and is named one of the best 6 players consistently for Shepp.United in home and away games this season.
Eagle, has kicked some 650 goals so far in his career ( about 26 years of age) , in comps that include the Sunraysia, Cairns, Neafl,and gvfl leagues.
I've heard from a few people that Lavi don't pay players very much. To get Eagle & Huy will cost them probably over $1000 each. Lavi might need to start shelling out a bit more coin because I still don't think anyone is within a bulls roar of Albury or Yarra.

Well said Fowls. Won't stop people like NETGEAR & Kevin Known posting lies tho :thumbsdown:

Hey NF, I haven't had a chance to have a look, but did you spot any interesting selections this week in the firsts or seconds for this weeks game?? Your initials should be NFI ;)

As stated many times, massive call by selectors from a long way out, but go the Tiges!

I've heard from a few people that Lavi don't pay players very much. To get Eagle & Huy will cost them probably over $1000 each. Lavi might need to start shelling out a bit more coin because I still don't think anyone is within a bulls roar of Albury or Yarra.
Doggies,
your right. Big dollars involved . Not sure about Huy, but know Eagle is a nomad dollar hunter. Has been at Impyrle in the Sunraysia comp, Cairns ,Box Hill, Redlands, then to Shepp. United, then to Broadbeach for 2 seasons and back to Shepp. United this season.Has been reported he is getting 2k a game at Shepp. United.... Whether this is correct or not ,I don't know, but rest assured It would be a grand a game at least.... Some of the clubs have whinged he is not a good clubman,and is high maintence.... These comments were even thrown around at my club, Broadbeach , when he was here, but in defence of Eagle,when he was out injured for 2 games, I saw him manning the gate for a coulpe of hours and the kiosk as well... regardless, is a gun full forward and would be a great inclusion to any club.

Doggies??? Please.....Eagle wouldn't get out of bed for $1k a game. I hope Sakes has has got a bit more cash than that to splash around if he wants the big fella.

No doubt about Eagle's ability and goal shooting capability but if you recruit him then the team has to be prepared to structure the midfield to maximise delivery to him. On occasions this year he has kicked almost half of United's score but whatever they have spent is of little consequence as, by this evening, they will be well into end of season celebrations.

No doubt about Eagle's ability and goal shooting capability but if you recruit him then the team has to be prepared to structure the midfield to maximise delivery to him. On occasions this year he has kicked almost half of United's score but whatever they have spent is of little consequence as, by this evening, they will be well into end of season celebrations.
Woody,
not quite .. they won, with Eagle bagging 6 and bringing up his 100th for the season.

Morris medal night is not far away, here's my guesses.

1. Xavier Leslie - yarra
2. Chris Hyde - Albury
3. kayne pettifer - yarra

Smoky - Tyler bonat - yarra

Reserves
1. Sam cross - Albury
2. Tom Ross - Lavington
3. Will blomeley - Albury

Smoky - Ross mulquiney - yarra

Thirds
1. Will mcgrath - Albury
2. Alex blissett - Albury
3. Chris Annett - Lavington

Smoky - Alex marklew - Rovers. I'm thinking he'll get lots early and it may be enough.

Albury could have the chance to have 3 medal winners running around in grand finals if their seniors make it as most expect they will. Considering each albury team has won 17 games each they'd have to be a fair chance of getting plenty of votes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Ovens & Murray Season 2013

Remove this Banner Ad

Back