Overall, which club is more successful?

Which club(s) are more successful?

• Carlton/Essendon - 16 flags.

Votes: 157 84.4%
  • Collingwood - 14 flags... (longest period with most cups about 50 years ago).

Votes: 29 15.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Overall, you couldn't call Collingwood the most successful club - 1 flag win in 47 years dosn't warrant such a rating. Perhaps they were the most successful club in the 1900-1950 era, but overall they have been no where near as consistant as Carlton and Essendon when it comes to premiership success.

And lets not even ask the question where Carlton and Essendon would be now if they had gone through the drought we did, would'nt have 2 supporters to rub together, this is also the mystique of Collingwood and why they are considered the greatest

I think there's some sort of stat that Essendon have had only 2 decades when they have NOT won a flag. (30's and 70's). Consistent performance at the top is a good indicator.

I think Carlton have a similar stat.

Collingwood certainly don't. Their success has been compressed into a couple of eras.

Notwithstanding that, I'm not into bagging other clubs on such a frivolous level as this. There's far better reasons for bagging them.

It is a bit like Kouta never winning a brownlow.... are we to assume Woewodin has had the better career?

Forgive me father.. but Collingwood have a record amount of GF appearances, and although it's not the ultimate success, they've been there abouts more than anyone else I'd say.

1st club to reach 1000 wins, still have the most wins, most finals wins, most finals appearances, 4 premierships in a row, longest period at head of the premiership tabel, most supporters, most talked and written about, most famous etc etc.... just a matter of time til we have the most premierships again, we are like Man U, there are waves, cycles of success and lows, just a matter of time

Thrawn said:
Carlton/Essendon with 16 premierships or Collingwood with 14 premierships... oh, during one time it had the most flags than anyone else?

Inspired by Gunder. :)
I notice you did'nt have the guts to state the poll nuetrally, certainly worded in your favour, and I'm sure you will get the result you want..... for the very reason we are still the greatest..... we are the most hated :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thrawn said:
Carlton/Essendon with 16 premierships or Collingwood with 14 premierships... oh, during one time it had the most flags than anyone else?

Inspired by Gunder. :)

Can't you find something useful to do?

Here is a very simple fact, Collingwood headed the premiership table for two thirds of the history of football, it will take another club 100 years or more to match that longterm domination. For 60 to 70 years of our 100+ year competition we were the benchmark, that is our heritage, that is why we are the greatest

I hate to state the obvious but it is a fact, you can argue it is irrelevant, but the numbers dont lie. I originally posted this to explain the mystique of Collingwood, why it is so hated and loved, why it is considered the most famous club, why the media refers to us as Australia's greatest club. We are talking generational memory here, and I think it goes a long way to explaining the seeming contradiction.

Gunder said:
blah blah blah.... why the media refers to us as Australia's greatest club.... crap crap crap

bwwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhaaaaaaahaaahaha

oh that is gold. You really are full of yourselves over there aren't ya

Row_z said:
bwwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhaaaaaaahaaahaha

oh that is gold. You really are full of yourselves over there aren't ya
Yes...... yes we are..... with good reason.
You just cant handle the fact that after hauling us in we still get all the spotlight :D

Remove this Banner Ad

Overall, which club is more successful?

Back