Owners

Remove this Banner Ad

That is an interesting question. One has to wonder what exactly does Oyston actually hopes to achieve? If its for investment purposes, the club is looking a lot worse off compared to their Premier League days, and it's clear he's not doing anything to help the club, like at all. Maybe some men just want to watch the world burn? Everyone seems to hate Oyston, and rightfully so.

In fact, after finding out the fans want him out, do you know what Oyson replied with?

3230011269.jpg

No joke, that's his Land Rover. He's really enjoying this.

Actually, I missed something else: http://www.theguardian.com/money/2015/jan/29/wonga-ends-blackpool-fc-sponsorship-deal Wonga have chosen to not renew their sponsorship of Blackpool. Now that hurts financially and morally, you know it's bad when Wonga want nothing more to do with you.

Here's a further extension on the Blackpool story: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...l-laughing-stock-sorry-story-Oyston-mess.html What few fans that are present are actually throwing things onto the pitch to protest... wow.

Hmmm, now that's another thing that did get me thinking. The playing group themselves. You look at Sunderland and Newcastle right now, and they're clearly not playing for the club. If the fans don't care, why should they? These teams look very uninterested and unfussed. I think the players were actually quite friendly with each other after the Tyne-Wear Derby, that's just weird! There's no passion!

The way the club is run affects the attitude of all parties concerned, it's a vicious circle.

Out of interest, as a Newcastle fan, what exactly would you like Ashley to do? Or in other words, the core duties of an owner to the club. The very basics that a fan can at the very least that the owners of the club are at least showing some degree of care to the club. Not good ownership, just adequate enough to show that he's at least carrying out his responsibilities.

Oyston seems very strange. I'm guessing the club's latest financial figures don't paint a positive picture either? It's almost like he's happy to sink the club - doing things to goad and taunt the fans.

Pretty much what SM said I agree with. I think the basic responsibilities of an owner should be fundamentally to provide investment into the team to ensure it doesn't fall behind rivals (spending within reasonable means) as well as trying to ensure the long term future of the club is considered when making decisions. A club should also try and ensure that it's accessible to its fans as well as having some strategies to improve existing structures for the benefit of the fanbase.

I tend to think of club's as 'owned by the community they represent' and so 'ideally' an owner would listen to the club's fans - as well as respect the values, traditions and history of that club.

Going back to the Toon (sorry for those not interested in reading about it) initially, Ashley was welcomed as a hero into the club. He promised investment

Have a read of a few of his quotes from back in the day (from the Ashley out website) and he sounds like a dream owner. Maybe he didn't have as deep pockets as a Russian billionaire or a middle eastern royal family but he sounded like he would help push the club forward again.

Mike Ashley on his reasons for buying Newcastle United (12 August 2008):
“Maybe I could have bought a smaller club, but it just wouldn’t have been the same challenge. It’s like settling for the high jump when really you want to do the pole vault – you want more excitement so you go higher.

“I was being offered the chance to own one of the jewels, one of the diamonds of the Premier League. There was no hesitation, why would there be?”

Mike Ashley about his love for football and understanding the importance of a club to its fans (14 September 2008):
“I have enjoyed sport since I was a boy. I love football. I have followed England in every tournament since Mexico ’86. I was there to see Maradona and his hand of God. I know what it means to love football and to love a club. I know how important it is to other people because football is so important to me.

Mike Ashley on his appreciation for the Newcastle United fans (14 September 2008):
“I bought Newcastle United in May 2007. Newcastle attracted me because everyone in England knows that it has the best fans in football. When the fans are behind the club at St James’ Park it makes the hairs on the back of your neck stand up. It is magic. Newcastle’s best asset has been, is and always will be the fans.”

Mike Ashley says he did not buy Newcastle to make money (14 September 2008):
“Don’t get me wrong. I did not buy Newcastle to make money. I bought Newcastle because I love football.”

Mike Ashley about his intention to invest £20m per year into the club without expecting anything back (14 September 2008):
“I was always prepared to bank roll Newcastle up to the tune of £20 million per year but no more. That was my bargain. I would make the club solvent. I would make it a going concern. I would pour up to £20 million a year into the club and not expect anything back.”

Oh and just for the utter lunacy... Here's what he said on appointing Joe Kinnear as manager back in 2008 (the year we got relegated) :$
“Joe’s the man to do the job. He’s my hero. Is he better than Capello? Definitely. We are going to be in Europe by the end of the season!”

Nowadays, he literally says nothing publicly. Only PR (the very limited the fans get) is through his 'associates'.

Just on Chelsea, I could be wrong but wasn't Abramovich's plan all along to make Chelsea into a global brand that was self sufficient (able to operate and compete purely on the revenues the club generated?).

I believe the 'big' spending they did earlier on was to both raise the profile of the club globally (signing high profile players) as well as to make them competitive against the best clubs in the league (which in turn would have boosted their fan following).

Not sure what their financial performances are like now (compared to when Abramovich first came along) but I'd wager there has been a steep increase in their commercial revenue stream (didn't they recently announce a club record sponsorship deal with Yokohama?).

Similarly, I think most fans would cast envious eyes towards Man City and what the City Football Group are doing at the club. Their vision for the Center of Excellence (name?) is pretty exciting (wasn't the mooted investment in the vicinity of $100m?).

Oyston seems very strange. I'm guessing the club's latest financial figures don't paint a positive picture either? It's almost like he's happy to sink the club - doing things to goad and taunt the fans.

Pretty much what SM said I agree with. I think the basic responsibilities of an owner should be fundamentally to provide investment into the team to ensure it doesn't fall behind rivals (spending within reasonable means) as well as trying to ensure the long term future of the club is considered when making decisions. A club should also try and ensure that it's accessible to its fans as well as having some strategies to improve existing structures for the benefit of the fanbase.

I tend to think of club's as 'owned by the community they represent' and so 'ideally' an owner would listen to the club's fans - as well as respect the values, traditions and history of that club.

Going back to the Toon (sorry for those not interested in reading about it) initially, Ashley was welcomed as a hero into the club. He promised investment

Have a read of a few of his quotes from back in the day (from the Ashley out website) and he sounds like a dream owner. Maybe he didn't have as deep pockets as a Russian billionaire or a middle eastern royal family but he sounded like he would help push the club forward again.

“Maybe I could have bought a smaller club, but it just wouldn’t have been the same challenge. It’s like settling for the high jump when really you want to do the pole vault – you want more excitement so you go higher.

“I was being offered the chance to own one of the jewels, one of the diamonds of the Premier League. There was no hesitation, why would there be?”

Mike Ashley about his love for football and understanding the importance of a club to its fans (14 September 2008):
“I have enjoyed sport since I was a boy. I love football. I have followed England in every tournament since Mexico ’86. I was there to see Maradona and his hand of God. I know what it means to love football and to love a club. I know how important it is to other people because football is so important to me.

Mike Ashley on his appreciation for the Newcastle United fans (14 September 2008):
“I bought Newcastle United in May 2007. Newcastle attracted me because everyone in England knows that it has the best fans in football. When the fans are behind the club at St James’ Park it makes the hairs on the back of your neck stand up. It is magic. Newcastle’s best asset has been, is and always will be the fans.”

“Don’t get me wrong. I did not buy Newcastle to make money. I bought Newcastle because I love football.”

Mike Ashley about his intention to invest £20m per year into the club without expecting anything back (14 September 2008):
“I was always prepared to bank roll Newcastle up to the tune of £20 million per year but no more. That was my bargain. I would make the club solvent. I would make it a going concern. I would pour up to £20 million a year into the club and not expect anything back.”

Oh and just for the utter lunacy... Here's what he said on appointing Joe Kinnear as manager back in 2008 (the year we got relegated) :$
“Joe’s the man to do the job. He’s my hero. Is he better than Capello? Definitely. We are going to be in Europe by the end of the season!”

Nowadays, he literally says nothing publicly. Only PR (the very limited the fans get) is through his 'associates'.

Newcastle could have had a brilliant side not that long ago....

HBA, cabaye, Stanton etc.

What a shame.

How good are the drunk Newcastle fans that ring sen occasionally

Just on Chelsea, I could be wrong but wasn't Abramovich's plan all along to make Chelsea into a global brand that was self sufficient (able to operate and compete purely on the revenues the club generated?).

I believe the 'big' spending they did earlier on was to both raise the profile of the club globally (signing high profile players) as well as to make them competitive against the best clubs in the league (which in turn would have boosted their fan following).

Not sure what their financial performances are like now (compared to when Abramovich first came along) but I'd wager there has been a steep increase in their commercial revenue stream (didn't they recently announce a club record sponsorship deal with Yokohama?).

Similarly, I think most fans would cast envious eyes towards Man City and what the City Football Group are doing at the club. Their vision for the Center of Excellence (name?) is pretty exciting (wasn't the mooted investment in the vicinity of $100m?).

Yes I believe you are correct. I am simply pointing out; pumping in 100 million plus pounds year after year

And 15 years later going we have a global brand that is self sufficient, is not really a that amazing. And it's a bit rich excuse the pun, for the Russian fans to gloat they sold someone for a profit. Well no shit. You would psg to be in the same position in two, three, five years. If they are not already.

Citeh are the funny aberration.

For example if you take Newcastle, now. And by a plethora of youth prospects plus depay, Ryan, balatna, Romero, will Hughes, cook of leeds etc. etc.

And continue the process for a decade. I would wager come ten years Newcastle will have a pretty strong team and be able to sell squad players for big bucks too.

I don't pretend to know much about youth academies but really what the hell is a centre of excellence.

How does it cost 200m pounds? Is it jut really nice grass?

At the end of the day are you just not poaching other teams best young players, coaches anyway? How can you buy a ajax or barca or Southampton type set up

Pretty spot on buddy.

We've posted profits in 3 of the last 4 seasons and are now looking financially sound.

Pretty spot on buddy.

We've posted profits in 3 of the last 4 seasons and are now looking financially sound.

To be honest give anyone a billion pounds of investment and they will turn over a profit eventually. No normal club has the ability to do that though and it does have a negative effect in terms of wages / transfer fees being driven up.

I could easily make money off property if someone handed me 25 million dollars.

I look at it like a big business. It starts up, and spends big of plant, machinery, marketing etc. It's only just started so sales are poor and it makes big losses.

Over time, sales improve and because the infrastructure was put in place from the outset less and less has to be spent. The profits roll in.

Look back to the early 90's and Man United. The entire club was worth £10m, yet they found £8m to buy the core of a team. It was unheard of at the time.

But that spending made them a fortune and has been repaid many times over.

I reckon within 10 years Sheik Mansours initial investment will have been repaid in full.

To be honest give anyone a billion pounds of investment and they will turn over a profit eventually. No normal club has the ability to do that though and it does have a negative effect in terms of wages / transfer fees being driven up.

Yep.

Money making is in property. If someone gave me $100m tomorrow, I would give a heap to my parents, by myself a house etc and plough a heap into property. It's where money making is.

As for our owners, we lucked in.

Obvious invesrment in the playing squad, but the academy, redeveloped South Stand (with North Stand to follow) and the who concept of CFG which I've really embraced.

Criticisms are the increasing cost of season tickets and individual match tickets, and pretty crappy communication at times.

But all in all what Sheikh Mansour has given to the club far outweighs the negatives.

On Oyston I remember reading a while back that there have been a lot of dodgy land deals between club and companies controlled by Oyston and his dad (the owner of Blackpool).

Also lots of contracts awarded to linked conpanies.

The bloke is a disgrace, and for all Platinis bluster on FFP he's clearly not bothered about protecting clubs as he's done **** all to prevent something like this situation.

Newcastle could have had a brilliant side not that long ago....

HBA, cabaye, Santon etc.

What a shame.

How good are the drunk Newcastle fans that ring sen occasionally

Do Toon fans call into SEN? Wasn't aware many football fans would haha.

Yeah, the season we finished 5th was the perfect time for the club to spend a bit of money and strengthen the squad to try and consolidate a spot in the top bracket but (surprise surprise) the club didn't spend - only having a net spend of about $1.7m I think and bringing in (an average utility player) Anita. Our tiny squad then struggled after a few injuries kicked in and the added fixtures from playing in Europe ensured we limped home to 16th, narrowly avoiding relegation.

Yes I believe you are correct. I am simply pointing out; pumping in 100 million plus pounds year after year

And 15 years later going we have a global brand that is self sufficient, is not really a that amazing. And it's a bit rich excuse the pun, for the Russian fans to gloat they sold someone for a profit. Well no shit. You would psg to be in the same position in two, three, five years. If they are not already.

Citeh are the funny aberration.

For example if you take Newcastle, now. And by a plethora of youth prospects plus depay, Ryan, balatna, Romero, will Hughes, cook of leeds etc. etc.

And continue the process for a decade. I would wager come ten years Newcastle will have a pretty strong team and be able to sell squad players for big bucks too.

I think our academy is getting better (we were initially not given Category 1 classification but have since achieved that standard) but I can't really see it being a vehicle to help improve the club into a top bracket side.

Would love to see us buy some promising young players (we've already bought Jamaal Lascelles and Karl Darlow who are two relatively highly rated young English talents plus a few others from the continent who are considered promising) but the general challenge is that the best young talent, more often than not, costs the most money - money that, again more often than not, only the 'big' teams have and can afford to spend.

I don't pretend to know much about youth academies but really what the hell is a centre of excellence.

How does it cost 200m pounds? Is it jut really nice grass?

At the end of the day are you just not poaching other teams best young players, coaches anyway? How can you buy a ajax or barca or Southampton type set up

Moomba or Kizza probably could give you more info but I believe it included building a number of training pitches, facilities, accommodation and possibly a stadium from memory?

I think the overall aim is to give their juniors and academy players the best facilities/coaching possible to ensure they can produce their own talent that can eventually push into the first team picture.

Despite the big investment, I think City have a decent record of producing players from their academy. Off the top of my head guys like Barton, Richards, Wright Phillips, Onouha(sp?), Sturridge, Schmeichel and Stephen Ireland all started out in their academy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't buy the driving up transfer fees/wages argument. Each club is responsible for spending what they think is right. If a player asks more than that no-one is forcing them to pay it.

A much bigger influencing factor in wages/transfer fees going up is increased revenue, primarily from Sky.

Moomba or Kizza probably could give you more info but I believe it included building a number of training pitches, facilities, accommodation and possibly a stadium from memory?

Yep, all of that. Been to the stadium a few times, it really is impressive. 16 and a half pitches, medical/rehab facilities, sports science, a school (community), pool (community). All a stones throw from the main stadium.

I think the overall aim is to give their juniors and academy players the best facilities/coaching possible to ensure they can produce their own talent that can eventually push into the first team picture.

I think we're able to increase the number of kids on the books, but we are already seeing the effects of the money put into coaching/analysis.

Despite the big investment, I think City have a decent record of producing players from their academy. Off the top of my head guys like Barton, Richards, Wright Phillips, Onouha(sp?), Sturridge, Schmeichel and Stephen Ireland all started out in their academy.

I think we could put a team out, currently playing in the premier league. Also the likes of Mee, Trippier, Whelan etc.

The challenge is bringing the current lot through. That needs a commitment from club (undoubted) and manager (doubts).

Personally I'd go with two or three less senior players next season to effectively force the manager to give some more playing time to the kids.

All a good owner has to do is:

- Listen to the fans and show that they matter to the club
- Minimise the financial impact on fans of watching their team play
- Spend within the club's means - essentially break even each financial year

Those are literally the only three things an owner has to do. Spend enough on players that the money they are earning from the PL is being reinvested, but not so much as to put the club in debt.

Woah, really? I thought the guy was more of a private individual. Looking at this, and looking at what Newcastle is now, that's very jarring.

I am also surprised at the lack of investment after Newcastle finished 5th. You would've thought if anytime was a good time to make an impact on the world stage, now would be it. Instead, he just well, sold out and added to his empire. Also, according to the figures, Ashley's worth 3 billion pounds, Roman's 5.5 billion, so the resources are clearly there to take Newcastle further.

But yes, you and SM have made some good points about what an owner should do to the best of their ability, after all, one has to achieve a good balance between catering to the fans, and doing what’s best for the business. It’s one thing to cater to the fans, but it can also lead to the team getting behind if they’re too generous.

Community involvement is actually a rather interesting point. Just a month ago, our Thai owners actually made a generous donation to the Richard III Appeal, getting involved with the community. They have so far respected the traditions of the club, while adding their own extra bits. (They actually got monks a few times to bless the pitch.)

Also, this was a point that was bought up in that Thai friendly between Everton and Leicester. As we know, Everton are sponsored by Chang. Yet if you go to Thailand, you would be hard pressed to find anything Everton related from Chang (Note that this is for Thailand, not the UK). Leicester on the other hand are actually very well promoted at King Power stores, especially at Suvarnabhumi Airport. In fact, this is a common sight around the airport:
img_4196.jpg
img_4200.jpg

In other words, our owners are doing their hardest to promote Leicester City to the people of Thailand, whereas Chang is doing nothing to promote Everton in the country. I mean, I know Chang doesn't own Everton, but surely the sponsor would do something to promote Everton in the country?

In fact, if you go to the King Power website, you can see the page about Leicester City and Vichai's Polo clubs (I'm very impressed he's promoting them just as much): http://www.kingpower.com/en/business/sports/lcfc

The question is, would I be able to find anything relating to Newcastle United?: http://www.sportsdirect.com/football And the first thing I see is Liverpool, and Arsenal. There isn't any special Newcastle United page on the Sports Direct website. Even in his attempt to promote Sports Direct, he hasn't made any attempt to link back to Newcastle.

I am impressed that our owners are actually linking back and making an effort to grow Leicester support in Thailand, even going as far as opening a football academy in Thailand: http://www.lcfc.com/news/article/04...h-thailand-international-academy-2060993.aspx

In fact, just a couple of weeks ago, the first batch arrived into Leicester, and they played against Chelsea (I'm not sure which Chelsea team this is, any Chelsea fans care to help identify what sort of Chelsea team is playing?)

Like Manchester City, they are doing good work in the community, and they are promoting the club overseas. For the owner to promote the club in their business activity, at least some recognition, is I think a duty. But to actually set up grassroots and clubs in their home countries/other countries. I think that is above the call of duty for an owner.

Looks like under 16's.
Cheers for that. I also just found it. The Thais are 16 years old, so about a year older. Those kids also have a shot of an English education as well, so it's beneficial to them even if they don't quite make it.
Yep, all of that. Been to the stadium a few times, it really is impressive. 16 and a half pitches, medical/rehab facilities, sports science, a school (community), pool (community). All a stones throw from the main stadium.

I saw pictures of that, it looks very impressive, and it's mostly dedicated to youth. Your owners have really done some excellent work!

I think we're able to increase the number of kids on the books, but we are already seeing the effects of the money put into coaching/analysis.

I think we could put a team out, currently playing in the premier league. Also the likes of Mee, Trippier, Whelan etc.

The challenge is bringing the current lot through. That needs a commitment from club (undoubted) and manager (doubts).

Personally I'd go with two or three less senior players next season to effectively force the manager to give some more playing time to the kids.

Yeah? Give it a shot.

I'll try do one for Arsenal.

Edit - scrap that. If we are just using Academy players then Arsenal cant field a full team.

Last edited:
Yeah? Give it a shot.

I'll try do one for Arsenal.

Ones that have played in the premier league this season.

Schmeichel (Leicester)
Trippier (Burnley) Onuoha (QPR) Boyata (City) Mee (Burnley)
SWP (QPR) Barton (QPR) Whelan (Stoke) Ireland (Stoke)
Sturridge (Liverpool) Pozo (City)

Also have Richards (Fiorentina), Denayer (Celtic), Lopes (Lille), Rekik (PSV) and Guidetti (Celtic) out on loan at top flight clubs in other leagues

I look at it like a big business. It starts up, and spends big of plant, machinery, marketing etc. It's only just started so sales are poor and it makes big losses.

Over time, sales improve and because the infrastructure was put in place from the outset less and less has to be spent. The profits roll in.

Look back to the early 90's and Man United. The entire club was worth £10m, yet they found £8m to buy the core of a team. It was unheard of at the time.

But that spending made them a fortune and has been repaid many times over.

I reckon within 10 years Sheik Mansours initial investment will have been repaid in full.

Intersting.

Debatable.

On 20 February 1986, entrepreneur Silvio Berlusconi acquired the club and saved it from bankruptcy investing vast amounts of money,[2] appointing rising manager Arrigo Sacchi at the helm of the Rossoneri and signing Netherlands internationals Ruud Gullit, Marco van Basten and Frank Rijkaard.[2] The Dutch trio added an attacking impetus to the team, and complemented the club's Italian internationals Paolo Maldini, Franco Baresi, Alessandro Costacurta and Roberto Donadoni. Under Sacchi, Milan won its first Scudetto in nine years in the 1987–88 season. The following year the club won its first European Cup in two decades, beating Romanian club Steaua București 4–0 in the final. Milan retained their title with a 1–0 win over Benfica a year later and remain the last team to win back-to-back European Cups.[19] The Milan team of 1989–90 has been voted the best club side of all time, in a global poll of experts conducted by World Soccer magazine :rolleyes:

I should have been more clear, but I mean more 98ish onwards era

When the transfer fees started going stupid

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_most_expensive_association_football_transfers#Highest_fees

Denison to betis was strange

Remove this Banner Ad

Owners

Remove this Banner Ad

Back