Summer Paris 2024 - General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Let’s cross live to the Brisbane Organising Committee

View attachment 2060036
Brisbane really sticks out like a sore thumb.

Since 2000 you've got Sydney, Athens, Beijing, London, Rio, Tokyo, Paris, LA.

Great we have another Olympics but there is so much riding on Brisbane and the politicians to pull the finger out of their arae and put on a proper games or give it away.

Tina Arena must be spitting chips that Celine Dion got the gig ahead of her.

She is quite big in France or so she says, she lived there and can speak French at least.

I would have liked to have seen her do a French version of this song.

it would have gone down well in the early 90s Eurotrash nightclub segment of the opening ceremony.

Brisbane really sticks out like a sore thumb.

Since 2000 you've got Sydney, Athens, Beijing, London, Rio, Tokyo, Paris, LA.

Great we have another Olympics but there is so much riding on Brisbane and the politicians to pull the finger out of their arae and put on a proper games or give it away.
As a resident of SE Qld and an Olympic nut, there is a part of me that hopes they pull out.

There is zero that they have done so far, that gives me any confidence that they can pull it off, even satisfactorily.

Tina Arena must be spitting chips that Celine Dion got the gig ahead of her.

She is quite big in France or so she says, she lived there and can speak French at least.

I would have liked to have seen her do a French version of this song.

it would have gone down well in the early 90s Eurotrash nightclub segment of the opening ceremony.

After her crap during Covid, she can GAGF.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hope Brisbane wheels out Matilda again, one of the great moments of the 1982 Commonwealth Games.

Back when we used to give a shit about the Commonwealth Games, simpler times but better times.

Matilda now enjoys her retirement at a fuel station at Kybong near Gympie.

1722032401358.png

I think Brisbane will have to embrace a similar idea for their opening ceremony. Won't have a decent stadium (if the politicians continue to politic) or any remarkable landmarks like a tower, an opera house etc. I think they have to lean heavily into the bay, the river and North Stradbroke and Moreton Islands. Surfing, fishing, beaches, Quandamuka culture etc...

The 1962 stadium in Perth than hosted the Commonwealth Games or the Empire Games as it was known back then is no more.

It's been bulldozed for housing, I'm not old enough to remember 1962 but we used to have our school athletics carnivals there.

9997d37303c4590926114cc10614efcd

The first Olympics I remember was the 1984 LA Olympics

Lionel Richie knew what he was singing about.

You need to stay up all night long when the Olympics are in a different time zone.

What a great Olympics 1984 was, I chucked a sickie in primary school to watch it, my mum didn't care as she watched it too.

Carl Lewis dominating track and field, Glynis Nunn winning gold in the women's heptathlon.

Gary Honey the Commonwealth long jump gold medallist getting a silver medal behind Carl Lewis, that was a big silver though.

Dean Lukin the tuna fisherman winning gold in the weight lifting.

Gloating about how NZ won double the gold medals Australia got by sitting on our arses back when NZ dominated the rowing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Summer Paris 2024 - General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back