Summer Paris 2024 - The Matildas Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Reality check for the Matilda’s. Outclassed , outplayed and sadly would be an achievement to get to the knockout stage . After watching Spain we looked like a B grade team , and played like it .

Maybe just enforces how much luck they got in the world cup with a few of the favourites getting knocked out early.

Defending was awful, CBs too slow. Raso and Carpenter sloppy in possession all game, and Fowler had a stinker, barely got on the ball all game.

Still a waste of a generation of talent, Tony G has had plenty of time, don’t get out the group stage and he can be sacked immediately

They haven't won't anything becoming heroes for finishing 4th. We have so many women team cricket rugby league netball rugby 7s all be world champions and get no hype.

Defending was awful, CBs too slow. Raso and Carpenter sloppy in possession all game, and Fowler had a stinker, barely got on the ball all game.

Still a waste of a generation of talent, Tony G has had plenty of time, don’t get out the group stage and he can be sacked immediately

Gustavsson's contract expires at the end of the Olympics, so he can have the usual "mutual decision to part ways" post-Olympics.

I think these girls have got way ahead of themselves, they think they are better than they are, the media have built them up to be superstars Welcome to the real world.

I don't think they've got ahead of themselves at all. They're just managed by a tactically incompetent coach whose only skill is to hoodwink the Australian media into thinking he's the bee's knees of coaches.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With exception of Kerr (absent) they aren't good enough in the air. They regularly make basic errors in tracking too. Elle Carpenter in particular has major weaknesses. Extremely talented athlete but her skills let her down. Her instep drives simply aren't and at this level are comical. She watched that German girl run past and meet header for first goal oblivious to tracking not even contesting. World cup goal she conceded all she had to do is use her body and shield rather than over balance after using her foot or trying. My guess is that she has habitually relied upon her athleticism and speed to detriment of skill development. That she can't instep drive is a major skill fault at this level.

She has massive potential but desperately needs one on one skill work

Tactically we have stagnated under this coach . To play out from the back you need players that can control the ball , unlike us being turnover merchants . The Germans are a very good team , they did their homework on us while we appeared to just think our system would be good enough . That’s on the coach .

Tactically we have stagnated under this coach . To play out from the back you need players that can control the ball , unlike us being turnover merchants . The Germans are a very good team , they did their homework on us while we appeared to just think our system would be good enough . That’s on the coach .

I just think we have performed beyond our abilities and this game made obvious our weaknesses. A wake up call. Not too sure if he is tactically naive or that skill weaknesses exist and can't be glossed over and take time to repair

Canada have been docked 6pts for their tactics of using a drone to spy on NZ's pre-game training sessions are now on -3 points. Their coach has also been banned for 1 year.

As there's only 3 groups of 4 teams with the two best placed teams in 3rd place in the groups advancing (along with the teams that finish 1st and 2nd in each group) it opens up the possibilty of a team getting through with a 3rd place finish in a group with just one win, or maybe even less.

Canada have been docked 6pts for their tactics of using a drone to spy on NZ's pre-game training sessions are now on -3 points. Their coach has also been banned for 1 year.

As there's only 3 groups of 4 teams with the two best placed teams in 3rd place in the groups advancing (along with the teams that finish 1st and 2nd in each group) it opens up the possibilty of a team getting through with a 3rd place finish in a group with just one win, or maybe even less.

Here is the story I found from ESPN its pretty harsh with a very significant $226,000 fine too to go on top of loss of 6pts points I think they will appeal it to try and get it reduced at least.

Here is the story I found from ESPN its pretty harsh with a very significant $226,000 fine too to go on top of loss of 6pts points I think they will appeal it to try and get it reduced at least.

It says they are looking at grounds to appeal. Really? You are caught red handed CHEATING and the thing uppermost in your mind is how to reduce or find technical flaws in the penalty.?

Shake my head ......what is happening to the world!!

What an absolute embarrassment to the coach/ staff and the country.

It says they are looking at grounds to appeal. Really? You are caught red handed CHEATING and the thing uppermost in your mind is how to reduce or find technical flaws in the penalty.?

Shake my head ......what is happening to the world!!
Well their argument will be that the players had nothing to do with it and shouldn't be punished for something they played no part in. They are happy to accept the fine and ban whoever was involved but not the 6pts deduction. They may be happy to get the points reduced to maybe 3pts doubt they will get them all wiped off if they go for it though.

Van Egmond starting and Vine on the bench is the only change to this starting line up vs Zambia from Game 1.

Yallop back in the squad on the bench for this game which must mean Freier comes out of the squad.

Remove this Banner Ad

Summer Paris 2024 - The Matildas Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back