Summer Paris 2024 - Track & Field

Remove this Banner Ad

I will update this post with useful links,

https://olympics.com/en/paris-2024/schedule/athletics

https://olympics.com/en/paris-2024

World Athletics Paris site

Double shock entries put in by Ethiopians.

I though Bekele had retired from competitive running. But in 2024 he ran the 6th fastest Marathon in 2023 a 2.04 in London in April, finished 2nd to country man Geleta. In the Road to Paris rankings for the marathon is 06 NOV 2022- 05 MAY 2024 he is the 6th fastest Ethiopian, but 1 time was set in December 2022 and 3 in 2023.

His last Olympics was London 12 years ago when he finished 4th in the 10,000m. Given he won medals in 2004, and 2008, I reckon a 20 year span between first and last medal would be an Olympic record for men in Athletics. Merlene Ottey won medals between 1980 and 2000 for Jamaica before switching to run for Slovenia in 2002 when she was 42. She won 3 silvers and 6 bronzes and only Olympics didn't win a medal was 1988 = 4th in 200m.

Gudaf Tsegay doing the 15/5/10 treble is trying to do what Dutch Ethiopian born Sifan Hassan tried to do in Tokyo.

Hassan won gold in 5000m then had semis and final of 1500m and won bronze then won the 10000m the next day. Only male or female athlete to medal in 3 these events at the same.

Paris schedule for Tsegay is heats of 5000m next day heats of 1500m, 2 day break final of 5000m, next day SF 1500m, next day 10000m final next day 1500m final.

I've been watching the Diamond League from Paris but not Stade de France

Yarsolava Mahuchikh of Ukraine has just broken the High Jump wold record a 2.10 broke the old WR set in 1987 a 2.09 by by Bulgarian Stefka Kostadinova at the Rome World Championships. The very tall skinny Blanka Vlasic jumped a 2.08 in 2009.

She jumped 2.01, 2.03, 2.07 and cleared that easily and just got over 2.10. Nicola Olyslagers finished 2nd on 2.01, the 2 jumps at 2.03 they showed she didn't look like clearing it. They will go into Paris as Gold and Silver favourite. Eleanor Patterson jumped a =SB 1.95m.

Last edited:
Faith Kipyegon has just set a new 1500m WR in 3.49.04. There was a pace maker for first 600m.

Jessica Hull was right next to her until 1250 mark and runs a new PB, Oz, Oceania record in 3.50.83 the 8th fastest time ever and 5th fastest woman ever as Kipyegon now has 4 of fastest 7 times.

I can't remember ever seeing 2 athletics WR set an hour or so apart.

Jessica Hull is a serious medal chance in a months time. Improved her PB by over 5 seconds.
Gudaf Tsegay of Ethiopia ran a 3:50.30 in April.

Linden Hall also ran a PB as did 10 of the 13 that finished.

1720371009779.png

Last edited:
I just missed it but the men's 800m didn't set a WR but was the fastest ever run by top 8.

@athsSTATS
2h

OMG Mens 800 # ParisDL
First time 3 men under 1:42 in the same race
First time 6 men under 1:43 in the same race
Fastest 2nd, 3rd, 4th 5th 6th, 9th place ever

1720370820393.png

Last edited:
Aussie team selected today after being ratified by World Athletics. Thought I'd put it in here for reference rather than Aussie watch. 40 women + 35 men made the team.

The 75-strong Athletics team is our second largest ever behind Sydney 2000 and largest sent away to a Games.

Australians will contest 39 of the 48 Athletics events in Paris, again second only in our Olympic history to the Sydney 2000 home squad.

Women:

100m:
Ella Connolly (NSW, Andrew Murphy), Bree Masters (QLD, Ryan Hoffman)
200m: Torrie Lewis (QLD, Andrew Iselin), Mia Gross (VIC, John Nicolosi)
400m: Ellie Beer (QLD, Brett Robinson)
800m: Claudia Hollingsworth (VIC, Craig Mottram), Abbey Caldwell (VIC, Gavin Burren), Catriona Bisset (VIC, Ned Brophy-Williams)
1500m: Jessica Hull (NSW, Simon Hull), Georgia Griffith (VIC, Nic Bideau), Linden Hall (VIC, Ned Brophy-Williams)
5000m: Rose Davies (NSW, Scott Westcott), Isobel Batt-Doyle (SA, Nic Bideau), Lauren Ryan (VIC, Lara Rogers)
10,000m: Lauren Ryan
Marathon: Sinead Diver (VIC, Nic Bideau), Genevieve Gregson (QLD, Nic Bideau), Jessica Stenson (SA, Adam Didyk)

100m Hurdles: Michelle Jenneke (QLD, Bronwyn Thompson), Liz Clay (QLD, David Reid and Sharon Hannan), Celeste Mucci (VIC, Darren Clark)
400m Hurdles: Sarah Carli (NSW, Melissa Smith), Alanah Yukich (WA, Rose Monday)
3000m Steeplechase: Amy Cashin (VIC, Sean Cleary), Cara Feain-Ryan (QLD, Ben Norton)

20km Racewalk: Rebecca Henderson (VIC, Simon Baker), Jemima Montag (VIC, Brent Vallance), Olivia Sandery (SA, Jared Tallent)

High Jump: Nicola Olyslagers (NSW, Matt Horsnell), Eleanor Patterson (NSW, Alex Stewart)
Pole Vault: Nina Kennedy (WA, Paul Burgess and James Fitzpatrick)
Long Jump: Brooke Buschkuehl (VIC, Russell Stratton)
Discus Throw: Taryn Gollshewsky (QLD, Les Kuorikoski)
Hammer Throw: Stephanie Ratcliffe (VIC, Don Babbitt)
Javelin Throw: Mackenzie Little (NSW, Angus McEntyre), Kelsey-Lee Barber (QLD, Mike Barber), Kathryn Mitchell (VIC, Uwe Hohn)
Heptathlon: Camryn Newton-Smith (QLD, Ralph Newton), Tori West (QLD, Eric Brown and Sam Leslie)

4x100m Relay: Connolly, Kristie Edwards (QLD, David Reid), Ebony Lane (QLD, Christopher Dale), Masters, Aleksandra Stoilova (NSW, Tevin Hester), Gross, Lewis

Marathon Racewalk Relay: Montag, Henderson, Sandery, Allanah Pitcher (NSW, Frank Overton)

So no representatives in Triple Jump, Shot Put and 4x400m Relay and 4x400m Mixed Relay didn't qualify.
Lauren Ryan only women selected for 2 individual events. Jessica Hull ran a qualifying time for 5000m in 2023.

Men:

100m:
Rohan Browning (NSW, Andrew Murphy)
200m: Calab Law (QLD, Andrew Iselin)
400m: Reece Holder (QLD, Sharon Dale and Chris Dale)
800m: Peter Bol (WA, Justin Rinaldi), Joseph Deng (VIC, Samuel Sepeng), Peyton Craig (QLD, Brandon Mallyon)
1500m: Adam Spencer (VIC, Mick Byrne), Oliver Hoare (NSW, Dathan Ritzenhein), Stewart McSweyn (TAS, Nic Bideau)
5000m: Morgan McDonald (NSW, Dathan Ritzenhein), Stewart McSweyn
Marathon: Brett Robinson (VIC, Nic Bideau), Patrick Tiernan (QLD, Alistair and Amy Cragg), Liam Adams (VIC, Ken Hall)

110m Hurdles: Tayleb Willis (VIC, Kyle Vander-Kuyp and Sam Leslie)
3000m Steeplechase: Matt Clarke (SA, Adam Didyk), Ben Buckingham (VIC, Craig Mottram)

20km Racewalk: Rhydian Cowley (VIC, Brent Vallance), Kyle Swan (VIC, Jared Tallent), Declan Tingay (WA, Brent Vallance)

High Jump: Yual Reath (VIC, Paul Cleary), Brandon Starc (NSW, Alex Stewart), Joel Baden (VIC, Sandro Bisetto)
Pole Vault: Kurtis Marschall (WA, Paul Burgess and James Fitzpatrick)
Long Jump: Christopher Mitrevski (VIC, Alex Stewart), Liam Adcock (QLD, Andrew Murphy)
Triple Jump: Connor Murphy (NSW, Andrew Murphy)
Discus Throw: Matthew Denny (QLD, Dale Stevenson)
Javelin Throw: Cameron McEntyre (NSW, Angus McEntyre)
Decathlon: Ash Moloney (QLD, Steve Rippon), Daniel Golubovic (QLD, Paul Pearce)

4x100m Relay: Browning, Joshua Azzopardi (NSW, Rob Marks), Jacob Despard (TAS, Rolf Ohman), Sebastian Sultana (NSW, Greg Smith), Lachlan Kennedy (QLD, Andrew Iselin), Law
Marathon Racewalk Relay: Cowley, Swan, Tingay, Will Thompson* (VIC, Brent Vallance)

So no representatives in 10000m, 400m Hurdles, Shot Put, Hammer throw and 4x400m Relay and 4x400m Mixed Relay didn't qualify.
No male selected for 2 individual events.

*Allanah Pitcher and Will Thompson (Marathon Race Walk Mixed Relay) have been named as the travelling reserves (known as Ap athletes under Games accreditation) and will be preparing with their team. The travelling reserves can be selected as a replacement athlete onto the Australian Olympic Team in case of injury or other withdrawal of one of the selected athletes.

Last edited:
This video has some good analysis of the 1500m WR by Faith Kipyegon and were she is at this year and her chances in the 5000m as well.

Now the Total Running Productions guy does a lot of good stuff but also uses a lot of hyperbole in his videos. He likes to use the word shocking a lot. This is pretty balanced.

The Netherlands have announced their Olympic team and it looks like Sifan Hassan is going to quadruple.

I don’t think she’s got the speed for the 1500 or 5k anymore but she’s a medal chance in the other two.

This woman is a machine. :heart:

Thanks for this thread, helping me to track who to follow. I've got 5 nights at the athletics in Paris so incredibly excited for it!

Kipyegons run in the 1500 in Paris a few days ago was amazing, as well as hulls 5 second pb. Obviously we don't have the same tactics in Olympics without pacesetters. Still a medal chance for hull though in the event.

You think our swimming qualification standards are tough, they aren't as tough as UK athletics standards when it comes to not sending athletes who could actually achieve something. While unlikely, it's not impossible they could be leaving a potential medalist out. Certainly some of those cut would be good shots at making the final (top 12) in field events or the final in a track event.

https://athleticsweekly.com/blog/why-the-british-athletics-selection-bar-is-set-so-high-1039989238/

2 more Diamond League meets before Paris

12th July Monaco and 20th London. Might be worth getting up to watch Monaco on early Saturday morning.

12th July Monaco and 20th London. Might be worth getting up to watch Monaco on early Saturday morning.

Odd that Hull would be running a 2k this close to the games. I would have thought a fast hit out over 800m might be a more likely choice at this stage of her prep if she doesn't choose to run the 1500. Still I suppose she has another 3 1/2 weeks before the Olympics.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Odd that Hull would be running a 2k this close to the games. I would have thought a fast hit out over 800m might be a more likely choice at this stage of her prep if she doesn't choose to run the 1500. Still I suppose she has another 3 1/2 weeks before the Olympics.
Depends on what $$$ were offered. There also is no 800m or 1500m offered in Monaco for the women.

strong 1500 field. It’ll be good to see where Ollie is at right now.

Rai Benjamin has been added to the 400H with Warholm and dos Santos. Any time these 3 race is a treat. Will we get fireworks before the Olympics?

Angus from athsSTAS first draft of the schedule and Aussies competing. In his tweet he wrote

Australian athletics team announced #Paris2024 #Olympics

Find them in #OLYarmchairGuide along with their PBs, the event's national record & when they're competing (in AEST)

First draft so let me know any errors

Click on graphic and then hit the magnifying glass icon to expand and be bigger enough to read clearly.

1720671715174.png

random Monaco thoughts:

world record for Jess Hull. it’s an off distance and the previous record was soft but it’s still impressive.

Jakob is still the king. can he do it without pacers and wavelights?…probably.
Hoare has been solid since coming back from his groin injury but doesn’t quite have it.

The men’s 800 has gone from one of the weakest events to one of the strongest. There’s no way our guys make the final.

Rai Benjamin looked super smooth.

Pretty sure Hull's 2000m WR is the first time an Aussie has broken an Athletics WR since Emma George broke her 12th consecutive Pole Vault WR on 20 February 1999. I was at the meet in Sydney the day she jumped 4.60m for that last WR.

Emma got injuries in late 1999 and in 2000 and went from gold medal favourite for Sydney, jumping on the same night as Freeman's 400m final, to not even making the final with a 15th place 4.25. A 4.25 height was her first WR in that run of 12 which she set in November 1995. It was a great pity what happened to her in that 18 months or so after her last WR.

Jess was like a metronome her 400m splits were 1.04.2, 1.04.2, 1.04.1, 1.04.2, 1.03.0

1720860420008.png

Angus from athsStats can do a Mike Williamson, from the 1966 VFL Grand Final when on the Ch 7 broadcast when the scores were tied and it was very late in the game - I tipped this - before Jessica Hull's run earlier this morning.

I forgot about Nathan Deakes 50km Walk WR.

What do the stats say? …. Hell yes!

It’s not often we get to talk about the possibility of an Australian athlete breaking a senior world record.

It was a common occurrence back in the 1950’s & 60’s. Then in the 1980’s we saw Rob de Castella’s marathon world record and the walkers Sue Orr Cook & Kerry Saxby taking down a number of track race walking records. Emma George pushed the newish event of women’s pole vault to its limits many times in the 1990s.

But this century there’s only been one Australian breaking a world record: Nathan Deakes race walking 50km in 3:35:47 down in Geelong 2006.

Others have been in the conversation, Cathy Freeman 400m, Sally Pearson 100m hurdles and Steve Hooker pole vault. But these moments are rare to find.

So how lucky are we that we have one of these moments this Saturday morning (aest) when Jess Hull runs the 2000m at the Monaco Diamond League. And the stats suggest it’s very possible.

Summer Paris 2024 - Track & Field

Remove this Banner Ad

Back