Coaching Staff Past Coach: Matthew Knights - Finally gets his second shot - 5/5

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Mark Williams mark II

6 years ago. 3 years ago. :rolleyes:
Who has been a better coach in the past 2 years? Who has had more success in the last 2 years?

There's not much difference there and Port have beaten us every time.

Who has the greater win/loss ratio during their coaching careers???? Well it's not Knights that's for sure.

And for the idiot who posted what about Martin Pike (because he's had a lot of success) no he's not a coach idiot.

Hopefully with someone new (with some Essendon history please) we might have some past players come back to the club willingly. Players like the Johnsons, Misiti, Mercuri etc.

Hirdy's wish may come true soon enough.

Who has been a better coach in the past 2 years? Who has had more success in the last 2 years?

We've won a total of 2.5 more games than Port since Knights has taken over and we haven't beaten Port in the last 3 years. This is on the back of Port Adelaide having their hearts ripped out in the 2007 GF, having absolutely no money and now Williams getting the flick (he stepped aside! :rolleyes:).

Only Bailey and Hardwick have worse coaching records than Knights - says plenty right there.

Re: Are we ready to sack Knights?

And the ones that were here before.

Richardson is a gem though.

Someone can correct me if im wrong but i think he's the fwd coach. Based on that he isnt doing too well. I watch Gumby stand there and just point to the side or point up in the air without even offering much of a lead, Hurley a bit better but still at times struggles to find any space. Some of the smalls are doing well but the big guys need to be the goal kickers.

I dont see much in Knights making it as a coach. A lot of times this year his comments in the media dont match what has happened on the field. If he is developing the list you dont bring in guy who has been overdue for a game (Tyson Slattery) then drop him after a week for different type of player. Ive heard from the captain during the week that we struggled to combat Adelaides zone, im assuming this the from the coach in post match discussions, but they kicked 7.1 in the first qtr to our 1.3. Game was close to over right here but how did they set up there zone from kicking just 1 behind?

And for the idiot who posted what about Martin Pike (because he's had a lot of success) no he's not a coach idiot.

"Matthew Knights has had what success??????? That's right NONE! He's been a part of a successful team ever or side ever as a player????? NO"

What has Knights playing career got to do with anything? Nothing. But you mentioned it anyway. I mentioned Martin Pike because if we're judging coaches by playing careers...............

Oh and two wrongs don't make a right, if we replace Knights his replacement should at least be good. Williams won one flag and choked two times, coached Port to a 119 point loss in a GF which has pretty much destroyed the club and in recent years has been almost Sheedy-like in recruiting duds (NASH)

the next 2 months will seal knights fate, any more of the adelaide type performances & he will have a hard time justifying his worth to the club

was at the anzac day game & that was a disgrace, then hey presto that same pathetic side emerged in adelaide, but we can beat saints, dogs & scare other good sides

injuries, suspensions, kpi's, all bullshit excuses - we are the football equivalent of the 'united states of tara' & if the coaches are the equivalent of medications, then well the meds aint working

I find this to be a major problem for the coach and nobody else. If players are only motivated to perform at certain times he is the only one to blame. I dont see him a passionate person about what he is doing atm. A lot of the younger guys played under him at Bendigo and have now had a couple of seasons under him as a senior coach. Kinghts has had a better opportunity than most new coaches as he was already familiar with the list before he started. The guys he was coaching at Bendigo have hardly improved at a rate of knots.

"Matthew Knights has had what success??????? That's right NONE! He's been a part of a successful team ever or side ever as a player????? NO"

What has Knights playing career got to do with anything? Nothing. But you mentioned it anyway. I mentioned Martin Pike because if we're judging coaches by playing careers...............

Oh and two wrongs don't make a right, if we replace Knights his replacement should at least be good. Williams won one flag and choked two times, coached Port to a 119 point loss in a GF which has pretty much destroyed the club and in recent years has been almost Sheedy-like in recruiting duds (NASH)

Can you answer me this. What credentials has Knights got to be coach of Essendon?

Sounds closer to spin to suit an argument. You judge a coaching career over just 2 years. Every coach went through bad periods, even Sheeds, Williams did very well with Port including a premiership.

You have to get there to choke first. At least Port had the opportunity to choke. Rest is spin.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So by your twisted logic, no Essendon member is allowed to question the coaches' appointment or risk being branded a lesser supporter. :rolleyes:

Make up your mind - six weeks ago you lauded the development of the young blokes and the structures, a few losses down the track and you've bailed. Pathetic imposter supporter who has no sense of timing, and lacks class.

Make up your mind - six weeks ago you lauded the development of the young blokes and the structures, a few losses down the track and you've bailed. Pathetic imposter supporter who has no sense of timing, and lacks class.

5-9 ...... I'd say its more than a few.

A %30ish win loss record going half way through season 3 is Peter Rhode like. Time for change. The jungle drums are beating.

Matthew Knights hasn't even had 3 years yet. First year he was never going to do anything. Inherited a horrible horrible list, who are all still finding their feet. How do you expect him to do any better with what he got? Lets be realistic. This day and age you simply can't be successful with small, young bodies. It may have been possible 15 years ago but todays football requires experience and cohesion between players who have played together for a number of years.

No coach could do better than what Matthew Knights has with what he was given. Lets be realistic. Take a look at our list and tell me that you think that with that list, finals was an absolute given. Our list is about 10-12th in the league and anything above that is an over achievement. Realistically, of course.

At the end of last year, we lost 3 of our top 4 goal scorers from the year before, in Lloyd, Lucas and Lovett. Monfries was our second best goal scorer and hasn't played continuously this year to make as big of an impact. Neagle our 5th, and he too has played only 1 game. McPhee was our seventh best goal scorer left also. Thats 4 of our top 7. 5 if you count Neagle (considering he hasn't played) Quite a challenge. Include with that, we have the worst midfield in the competition, probably on par with West Coast.

Who on earth could do anything with the list we have? IMO, I think we have done better this year than I had expected, bar performances against West Coast, Collingwood and Adelaide.

Not to rain on your parade, but didnt sheedy want to rebuild, but the board said nah. we'll plug holes?

But why the skill errors?

The coach has to take the blame for poor skills - it is his job to make them better. He can do this by working on them, and alos making us play as a team so that we have more time with the ball and don't panic. Having structure around moving the ball when things are going our way.

Skill errors may mean poor skills - but the poor skills may be more to do with blocking, shepherding, talking, moving to position etc.

It is undoubtedly a combination of both and also decision making - But the coach can only do so much.

As pointed out of the other forum, it is a bit weird sacking the coach on the day of a game.

Strange Indeed

Especially after hearing the explanation by the Power president - he effectively claims that late Thursday, Mark Williams decided he didn't have the passion for the job anymore.

The selection panel should go to. Why the **** has prismall been dropped again.

It's a sad moment when your putting your tips on and your team is playing a bottom four team and you can't even be sure we'll get up.

We should offer Leigh mathews the world.

I agree with others it would be a mistake to ax Knighter now. Im not convinced with him either but he is still inexperianed and, like a young player we have to give him some slack. Having said that if we were to drop many more games by seasons end It will be worring times.
The real problems are with some of our senior players and some serious decisions have to be made by the end of the year.

Th selection panel eshould go to.**** has prismall been dropped ag Why the ain.

It's a sad moment when your putting your tips on and your team is playing a bottom four team and you can't even be sure we'll get up.

We should offer Leigh mathews the world.
Because he's not up to it, he is to soft. But he's not alone

Because he's not up to it, he is to soft. But he's not alone

Agree he's a bit soft and definately not alone but he's got the best skills in the team. We need a few big bodies in the midfield to feed it out to players like pris. Our midfield should consist of Watson myers hocking or marigliani. Having winders and Stanton in the midfield is a joke, they are week as piss.

We have gone small again in howlett for the Melbourne game.

Surely knights contract will be looked at if we don't get up for the Melbourne game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Coaching Staff Past Coach: Matthew Knights - Finally gets his second shot - 5/5

Remove this Banner Ad

Back