Coaching Staff Past Coach: Matthew Knights - Finally gets his second shot - 5/5

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Are we ready to sack Knights?

I just can't believe he has made 5 changes, again!

I complimented him earlier in the year for dropping players for not delivering on the defensive side of their game, sent a message, but I have since come to the conclusion that omitting players has become an unhealthy obsession. :thumbsdown:

He obviously doesn't understand the concept of sending the message, then waiting patiently for the results?

Of course he needs to continue to have high expectations, but he needs to settle on a group of guys that are capable and give them at least 2-3 weeks to deliver them.

Try playing football, when you feel your coach watching you, waiting for reasons to justify your omission the following week.

He makes me uneasy just watching him, can't imagine how he makes the players feel.

IMO of course...

Re: Mark Williams mark II

No coach could do better than what Matthew Knights has with what he was given. Lets be realistic.

Stupid comment. Knights has cost us 5-6 games atleast due to poor coaching and tactical errors. A better coach would have won those games. Thats how we could have done better.

He has been very underwhelming and uninspiring to date. Deserves tobe given till the end of the year before any decisions are made but lets not start making out like he has performed as well as he possibly could with the cattle he inherited.

Re: Matthew Knights; A question on a game

End of the season:
-If we don't make finals, replace the coach
-If we make finals but don't win a game - make a judgement call
-If we do win a final, he stays without question.

I think a few Essendon supporters just don't get it.

You can't expect success all the time. We went through the majority of 28 years of it under Sheedy and now people are so starving of it, they will do anything to twist the knife, in order to get it.

We still haven't recovered fully from the instability of Sheedy's sacking in 2007 and to increase that by sacking Knights, spells even longer in the bottom 4. How much pain are fans prepared to put up with?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fans just want to see Gumby, Hurley ect developing, and not see all these kamikaze slection changes every week.

I don't think there's another coach in the league who would have dropped Tyson after his 1 game where he held his head high.

If Knights is the best man for the job at developing the list, and infact the players are behind him and his gameplan like they say they are then by all means keep him, because the one thing we are consistant at is putting one of the youngest teams out on the field each week, not to mention a teenage spine and average midfield, maybe he just doesn't have the cattle at the moment.

He has shown we can beat the Dogs and Saints, maybe we are moving forward without it showing in the win colomn, if they are behind him, keep him, if they aren't, coaching overhaul.

There's nothing more important than the list and coach being on the same page.

Rumbling over.

Well Port always seem to beat Essendon, so for this reason I would have thought choco would be a perfect candidate for your club, you could find out what he knows.

Don't judge him on his last few years at Port, with a new playing group he could work wonders.

To say that Coach 'X' has been part of success only has partial merit. In the years of success at Port, Mark Williams also had along side him like Hardwick, Clarkson, Bailey etc. Does this say more about them and their role as opposed to Mark Williams?

If the answer is a yes, should we be targeting senior assistants that have coached under Matthews, Thompson and the like?

Also, regarding success, by that theory, Sheedy should have kept his job? I see what you are all saying, but there is always more to it than, 'he has won a premiership, lets get him'.

You can also judge Williams and Sheedy against the list they left behind. How do we rate Ports list? Are we happy with the list Sheedy left behind?

End of the season:
-If we don't make finals, replace the coach
-If we make finals but don't win a game - make a judgement call
-If we do win a final, he stays without question.

So we win basically every game for the rest of the year and make finals for the second year in the row and its a judgement call whether he keeps his job. Righttt...:rolleyes:

stop ur sulking, the club is bigger than the coach. we are going backwards on downhill skies.
downhill skies? I thought the sky was everywhere?

We have too many sack Knights threads tbh. wait for the off season at least

So we win basically every game for the rest of the year and make finals for the second year in the row and its a judgement call whether he keeps his job. Righttt...:rolleyes:

Yes.

It would depend on how we play in our final. Knights' plan was to win a final in his third year.

If we somehow got there, and lost badly (like last year v Adelaide), it'd be a judgement call for sure. It's time to make shocking performances, ala last week, a thing of the past. If we don't win a final this year (as per Knights' promise), serious questions need to be asked.

This team has the potential. It's up to Knights to get the team to fulfil it. If he can't do that, then he should go.

Donners

How can you say they aren't having a go ?

All the kpi's from the Adelaide Game - had us in front or level - This is not a sign of an umcommitted team.

Skill errors - mainly from the senior players - killed us.

How about the defensive pressure from the forward line and particularly the midfield. Was that good? You call that commitment?

Remove this Banner Ad

Coaching Staff Past Coach: Matthew Knights - Finally gets his second shot - 5/5

Remove this Banner Ad

Back