Past players - 2010 >>>

Remove this Banner Ad

Round Twenty Three 2011: Melbourne v Gold Coast @ MCG (30 point win)

Rating:
6.5/10
Disposals: 19 (11 contested & 8 uncontested)
Kicks: 7
Handballs: 12
Marks: 2 uncontested
Tackles: 6
Free Kicks: 1 for and 1 against
Efficiency: 79%
Clearances: 6
Clangers: 1
Assists: 0
Inside 50’s: 1
Goals: 0.1

SC Score: 90 Points

I have read some people claim that Tom looks disinterested and that he isn't trying as he is already gone- wtf game were you watching? Tom was great yesterday- at the bottom of every pack, running to every contest, and hitting targets by hand and foot.

The smaller bodies of the GC almost took Tom's disadvantage out of the equation. Sure the Abletts and Rischetelli's are as sizable as anyone else, but when the second tier mids were on Tom no longer looked outsized at every contest. 6 clearances, 11 contested possessions and a 79% (PB) disposal effiency point to a much better game from Tom. Admittedly against weaker opposition, but still great to see.

Whilst I'm at it has anyone noticed that from day one Tom has always looked 100% focussed on the game and rarely smiles or gets excited? That doesn't mean he's going to GWS (though I think he is) it's just how he is you morons! I'm getting so sick of stupid supporters claiming that every time Tom doesn't smile or give 20 high 5s it means he's going! No it doesn't! That is his persona- deal with it! Sure when he leaves these people will claim that they were right- but watch him for the rest of his career no matter what colour jumper he's wearing he will never be one to get emotional on the field. /rant.

Pros:
-
contested ball
- disposal efficiency
- tackles & clearance work

Cons:
- probably could have got more of the ball

If they want athletes that are all about high 5s, try these two:

har5v.jpg

murali_main-420x0.jpg

TOM Scully will announce his intention to join Greater Western Sydney at a media conference in Sydney today. The Melbourne midfielder is believed to have agreed to an offer for the next six years for an estimated $6 million.

Scully, 20, and his family flew to Sydney yesterday for the announcement.

Melbourne officials were to be advised of the move this morning.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...r-western-sydney/story-fn69a32t-1226134024795

Very disapointing. Have (obviously) been following him very closely throughout his career and truely don't believe this is a good decision for his football. Good decision for his sky rocket yes, but he is nowhere near ready to shoulder the burden of a teams midfield...

Will be hard watching TS in GWS jumper, mainly because i think he will still be as good as hoped, his 2011 form isnt a true reflection and IF he can have a strong full pre-season i think he will surprise people again

Also not worrying about lying for months on end may help :p, as i believe even if he hadnt made up his mind it was going to be hard to say no, and he knew this

Jamie Bennell's 2011 Review:
Todd Viney said:
Jamie was in and out of form for a big part of the year. Part of his problem is that he’s got a lot of flexibility in his game. He can play forward, mid or as a small, rebounding defender. Later in the year, we were really pleased with his work as a negating defender, so we’d like to try and settle him down in one particular role. We were pleased with the way he finished the season, but like a lot of our players, he needs to get stronger in the pre-season. Overall, he is developing nicely.
http://www.melbournefc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/7415/newsid/124572/default.aspx

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Robert Campbell 2011 Review:
Todd Viney said:
Robert had a slow start to the year with an achilles injury, but he played some outstanding football towards of the season in the VFL. He’s a premiership player, so he was highly respected among the group. His leadership had an impact among the younger players.
http://www.melbournefc.com.au/tabid/7415/default.aspx?newsid=124643

I should add that I thought he was the beneficiary of a mystifying promotion towards the end of the season due to us having a spare senior spot because of LTIs. That said, I might have been dreaming, because it made no sense with him being injured at the time and our ruck stocks back to normal.

EDIT: Retired (again) at the end of the 2011 season.

Kelvin Lawrence 2011 Review:
Todd Viney said:
Kelvin was good as a rookie. At certain stages, we were really happy with the way he played and improved at VFL level. He played some good games and showed some lightning pace with his forward line pressure. He’s got exactly what we’re after, so he’s one to watch out for next year.
http://www.melbournefc.com.au/tabid/7415/default.aspx?newsid=125044

Was skipped in the end-of-year review. Given he spent big chinks of the year in the Casey Reserves, it's not looking good for the kid.

EDIT: Delisted. Seems to have been nowhere near the level required, but gave it a red hot go all the same.

EDITx2: Here's his review:
Todd Viney said:
Cameron was a rookie for us in 2011. He played some senior football with Casey, but spent most of the year in the Casey reserves.
http://www.melbournefc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/7415/newsid/124999/default.aspx

Tom MacNamara 2011 review:
Todd Viney said:
Tom was a rookie this year. He was always seen as a defender, but played as a run-with midfielder. He then became a midfielder in his own right and made some significant improvements in the VFL. Tom made some good decisions with the footy and showed some good skills. He was elevated for a senior game.
http://www.melbournefc.com.au/tabid/7415/default.aspx?newsid=125855

#26 Robert Campbell (Rookie)

2011 Todd viney review
Big Footy player thread

Matches: 0
Goals: 0
Kicks: 0
Marks: 0
Handballs: 0
Disposals: 0
Tackles: 0

Expectations for 2011:

Robbie was always recruited as a bit part player, so no one really expected him to dominate or play all 22 games. What was expected was for him to play the role of the second ruckman & provide some support for Jamar who had played the bulk of game time in 2010. It was also understood that he was also to assist with the training of younger & less experienced players such as Martin & Gawn. One concern from many supporters was that he had been injury prone before his initial retirement from Hawthorn & the fear was that this may remain the status quo with the Dees.

Overall performance:

As was the fear before the season, Campbell was struck down with injury before the season started & didn’t play his first game for Casey until round six where he again suffered another injury (knee) which saw him out for another month before returning for Casey.

Campbell never managed to take the field for the Dees but played a solid 13 games in total & from reports was at times a great asset for the club. Due to his injury & the exceptional form of Stefan Martin early in the season his efforts for senior selection were becoming less & less likely. Add to that the fact that he never hit his best from until the last third of the season & Melbourne’s preference to blood the young Gawn, he, in reality was never going to don the red & blue.

It all ended with his retirement at season’s end & thus there are no expectations for him going forward.

Re: 37. Matthew Warnock

Matthew Warnock 2011 Review:
Todd Viney said:
Matthew had a frustrating year. He didn’t play as many games as he would’ve liked, due to Jared Rivers and James Frawley holding down the two key defensive roles. He had a fantastic year in the VFL - it was a really consistent season and he was probably a step above that standard.
http://www.melbournefc.com.au/tabid/7415/default.aspx?newsid=126026

Remove this Banner Ad

Back