Marks 1
Tackles 1
Clearances 1
Clangers 1
CP 4
UP 8
DT 39
SC 58

Despite our dismal performance and Jamie's sparse posession count, I thought he was one of the few to show clean skills with any semblance of class. I had the impression that something positive might happen every time he got the ball. Still goes missing for periods of the game but in my opinion he derserves another game next week.
65/100

TOM Scully has put his hand up for a senior recall after a successful comeback in the VFL.
Scully dominated in his first competitive hit-out since injuring his left knee in the pre-season, racking up 19 possessions and one goal for Melbourne's VFL affiliate, Casey Scorpions.

"I'm glad I got through unscathed and blew out a few cobwebs, so I'm feeling good." Scully said.

The Melbourne midfielder said his left knee had stood up well to the rigours of a match.

"The knee is feeling really good, but I won't know the full extent of how it pulls up until tomorrow.

"Definitely I'll put my hand up. My knee was good enough to get through today and I got through pretty well, so if I train well this week, then it will be up to the coaches."

Scully played about 60 per cent of game time yesterday in Casey's loss to Williamstown at Werribee.

He showed no signs of soreness, ran well and slotted a great goal early in the second quarter.

Article

Re: 43. Jamie Bennell

Thought he was pretty ordinary on Friday, but so were many many others.

Though he would be unlucky to miss out this week, he may anyway with Trengove, Scully, Dunn, Gawn and McDonald all possible inclusions. (Dunn, Gawn & Mcdonald mentioned as likely inclusions by Bailey on the w/e).

Thought he was pretty ordinary on Friday, but so were many many others.

Though he would be unlucky to miss out this week, he may anyway with Trengove, Scully, Dunn, Gawn and McDonald all possible inclusions. (Dunn, Gawn & Mcdonald mentioned as likely inclusions by Bailey on the w/e).
Fair enough, but as others have pointed out, he kept Garlett reasonably quiet and that is no mean feat. Unfortunately I can't get the full picture of our setups off tv but to me he always look likely to create an opportunity.

We know he's got the talent, and is one of few to have genuine foot speed, just needs to apply himself a bit more.

If he had the Whelan mongrel, he'd be a fantastic player.

3/6/2011 v Essendon

D 16
K 5
H 11
M 1
T 1
CL 1
C 0
CP 7
UP 9
G 0
B 1
EFF 88%
DT 52
SC 71

Well, it might be my rose coloured glasses but I've been consistant since he arrived at the club that Bennell could be anything. Last night was the best game I can remember him playing and reinforced my opinion. His ability to read the play, take the ball with one grab and offload it under pressure with deft handball set up many attacks. Not to mention jinking runs out of defence. If this bloke ever realises he's as good as I think he is he'll be a balltearer!! I'm hoping last night was a breakout game for him and from what I've seen so far, running off half back seems to be his spot. He can start preparing for the Pies.
82%

Clarification of my 'rating' system:

- For each match report I have given Sculls a rating which needs some context. It's kind of based on EPL ratings where they dont give big numbers unless a mammoth game has been played.

So:

1)- Worst game ever played in the history of the AFL. Would involve minimum 10 clangers. Would have to have negatively affected the team so much that the player deserves death afterwards.

2) - Horrid game, their efforts were detrimental to the team.

3) - Virtually unsighted all match, bar a cameo or two that brought clangers and/or some other distaster.

4) - Quiet game, down on what is required and expected from a player. Possibly errors involved as well.

5) - Mediocre game. Wasnt bad by any stretch, but certainly didnt set the world on fire.

6) - Decent game. Didnt stand out, but contributed solidly to the team and did quite a few good things.

7)- Good game. Played their role and did it well. Contributed a lot to the team.

8) Great game. Was close to, if not, BOG.

9) Amazing game. Put on a masterclass and was clearly BOG. Colin Sylvia last year vs Hawks would be the last '9' game a Melboourne player has had according to my ratings.

10) Ridiculously good game. 10 goal performance or 50 odd midfield touches (to effect, ie not Dane Swan style). The sort of game that will make people purchase a DVD of, or be replayed endlessly on 'Brut Footy Flashbacks'. Usually only obtainable in a final.

Just a quick re-quote of the rating system I use.

Round Eleven 2011: Essendon v Melbourne @ MCG (33 point win)

Rating: 7.5/10
Kicks: 12
Handballs: 12
Marks: 3 uncontested
Tackles: 6
Free Kicks: 0 for and 0 against
Efficiency: 63%
Contested possessions: 7
Uncontested Possessions: 17
Clearances: 8
Clangers: 6
Assists: 1
TOG: 80% (guess)
Inside 50’s: 5
Goals: 1.1

DT Score: 100 Points
SC Score: 91 Points

Amazing first up performance from Sculls- especially given his lengthy lay off. There have been some class players this season struggle in their first couple of games back from injury- but not Tom. He is a natural freak athlete, and came back in and ran as hard as ever. He is without a doubt the crowd favourite (behind maybe only Jurrah when he's on song), as his first touch (an ordinary kick that just hit his target) was greeted by rapturous applause by the members- myself included. It's hard not to get excited by this kid everytime he goes near it- it goes without saying he has to stay.

Anyway I don't have the stats, but Scully gained the 4th most metres of any player on the field Friday night, testament to his hard work. His run and carry has been sorely missed, and was at it's best straight away. As expected, Tom's kicking wasn't amazing. He has 6 clangers, and I would suggest most of them were by foot. Everyone expected some rust, and as kicking is something that Tom isn't as brilliant as your Tapscotts etc at. The he works though- he will be one day.

Overall a fantastic first up performance by someone is was 'underdone'. Some may say I'm harsh for giving him a 7.5, but if you have a geeze at my rating system you'll hopefully understand why. If this is what he capable of after an hour of VFL football- it's scary to think what he'll do when he's had a few games in the legs this year.

Pros:
- 24 touches
- 4th most metres gained
- broke lines
- tackled hard

Cons:
- efficiency and clangers- they weren't terrible but is an area for improvement

Does he keep his spot?
Of course- I think this question will be removed from future reviews :p

Round Twelve 2011: Melbourne v Collingwood @ MCG (88 point loss:()

Rating: 7/10
Disposals: 29 (9 contested & 20 uncontested)
Kicks: 10
Handballs: 19
Marks: 5 uncontested
Free Kicks: 0 for and 2 against
Efficiency: 62%
Clearances: 4
Clangers: 3
Inside 50’s: 2
Goals: 0.1

DT Score: ?? Points
SC Score: 91 Points

Well it's very hard for me to write this review as I watched most of the game on Monday with either my head in my hands or from the bar in the MCC. What a horrible, horrible day. Scully however, was pretty good it must be said. Leading disposal getter for the Dees, he had one of those typical Scully days where he racks up disposals around the packs and gets touches you don't really notice when watching.

He was one of our better players on a dark, dark day. His disposal was again questionable, and he didn't really damage the opposition like he did against the Bombers. Having very little support certainly didn't help, nor did our lack of forward targets after we'd given up and pushed Watts etc behind the ball. Must really suck when you burst out of a pack, look up and see nothing at all to kick too!

Lets hope Sculls gets to play in a winning team next week coz none of us can handle another debacle like Monday.

Pros:
- 29 touches
- never gave up and ran hard (traits sorely lacking in many of his teammates)
- 6 tackles
Cons:
- efficiency level was again not fantastic.

Round Thirteen 2011: Melbourne v Fremantle @ MCG (89 point win:D)

Rating: 7/10
Disposals: 26 (9 contested & 17 uncontested)
Kicks: 9
Handballs: 17
Marks: 1 uncontested
Tackles: 4
Free Kicks: 2 for and 0 against
Efficiency: 69%
Clearances: 6
Clangers: 1
Goals: 0.0

DT Score: ?? Points
SC Score: 89 Points

The Jekyll and Hyde team of the AFL marched on to a lovely 89 point win- marking a staggering 177 point turnaround in a week against two teams that finished top 5 last year (though of course the situation is nowhere near as simple as that!).

One constant throughout both games however, has been Tom Scully. He is remarkably consistent for such a young and inexperienced player. He shows composure, toughness and determination rarely seen in such a young player. But we all know this! Onto the Freo game...

One AFL writer said that Scully 'lit the fuse', and though it wasn't him alone doing so the comment has plenty of merit. Scully was absolutely everywhere early, gathering 7 disposals in as many minutes at the start of the game. He helped set the tone early, and despite not really cashing in on the junk time offerings in the second half to me he was one of the better players.

Pros:
- 26 touches
- electric opening set the tone for the game
- lightning hands in packs are GAJ like
- efficiency lifted to 69%

Cons:
- Not getting involved on the scoreboard when it was party time!
- Couple of ordinary clangers

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Round Fourteen 2011: Richmond vs Melbourne @ MCG (28 point win)

Rating:
7.5/10
Disposals: 26 (14 contested & 12 uncontested)
Kicks: 11
Handballs: 15
Tackles: 5
Free Kicks: 3 for and 0 against
Clearances: 3
Assists: 0
Inside 50’s: 5

SC Score: 93 Points

The rollercoaster ends! For now anyway. A lovely, hard fought 29 point win against a (Victorian) team that is up and about was just what we needed. Melbourne tackling on Saturday was ferocious- and Scully contributed with 5 of his own, including a couple that resulted in holding the ball frees.

This year, Scully has been remarkably consistent, as evidenced by his stats and SC points being nearly identical each week. But his 5 inside 50's, 5 tackles, and presence around the packs this week were excellent. He was tagged heavily by Edwards for the most part of the game, and struggled to get involved early. But as per usual his ridiculous endurance and ability to keep his pace at the same level even in the dying minutes meant that he burnt his tag eventually.

Pros:
-
plenty of the ball again
- more contested ball this week
- great tackling
- broke his tag and did it fairly early

Cons:
- Couple of ordinary clangers
- disposal efficiency 62% which isn't great

Apologies for no write up for last 3 games but I don't always get to see them. Against Pies I thought he was very good up until 3/4 time. Held Krakouer to his quietist game for some time and only when the flood gates opened did he have any real impact. Bennell was sub against Freo and lets face it, we didn't need too much help from him. Against Richmond I again thought he provided quality over quantity. I'm heartened by the many positive comments on the Dees BF page. Has that "X" factor and the ability to break the lines out of defence we badly need. Always looks like to create an opportunity and I wouldn't drop him unless he has a series of shockers. Definately keeps his spot this week.

Round Fifteen 2011: Western Bulldogs vs Melbourne @ MCG (64 point loss)

Rating:
5.5/10
Disposals: 17 (6 contested & 11 uncontested)
Kicks: 2
Tackles: 10
Free Kicks: 0 for and 1 against
Efficiency: 59%
Clearances: 1
Clangers: 2
Inside 50’s: 0

SC Score: 73 Points

A belated review, due to me being busy and not wanting to remember anything about this game. The less said the better- thus the short review.

Tom was unable to impact the contest offensively in any manner of note, he only had two kicks, 1 clearance and zero inside 50s. Definitely not his best game for the club, and definitely a stark contrast to his last game against the dogs.

To his credit, he got 10 tackles which is impressive. You can never fault his work rate and he tried hard to get involved but was well held by Liam Picken- who has held better players than Scully to less over the last couple of years.

Pros:
-
10 tackles
- never gave up

Cons:
- kick to handball ratio
- disposal efficiency 59% which is poor when almost all touches are by hand
- no clearances, assists, inside 50s

Greater Western Sydney tables $1m offer for Tom Scully

THE Tom Scully puzzle has deepened with the revelation Greater Western Sydney has made a formal offer to the Melbourne midfielder.

Scully's management group, Velocity Sports, has confirmed the offer, believed to be as much as $1 million a year for five years.

And today, Giants chief executive Dale Holmes indicated the club had already sought commitment from three or four players.

Neither Velocity's Peter Blucher nor GWS's head of football Graham Allan would discuss the money or the term of the contract.

Blucher told the Herald Sun: "Melbourne upped the ante significantly a couple of weeks ago and we invited them (GWS) to put something in writing to us, which they've done.

"We haven't told Tom what it is only that it's substantial and it warrants due consideration."

"You couldn't accept one (offer) without at least knowing what the other one was," Blucher said.

The latest development suggests the youngster's future remains in the balance, despite a broad view in football he already is committed to the new franchise from 2012.

Melbourne, though, will be heartened by the news, given it recently made him an offer, believed to be in the order of $3 million for five years.

Link

Thought I'd include here as it's the first non-speculation only piece about his future to be written!

Round Seventeen 2011: Melbourne v Port @ TIO Darwin (21 point win)

Rating:
4/10
Disposals: 13 (5 contested & 13 uncontested)
Kicks: 7
Handballs: 6
Marks: 1 contested
Free Kicks: 0 for and 1 against
Clearances: 1
Clangers: 4
Goals: 0.1

SC Score: 38 Points

Tom was without a doubt handed a football lesson that he will learn from courteousy of the one the best taggers in the business. Kane Cornes may be well past his best, but his ability to negate a player is still top notch and he held Scully perfectly. Cornes had 26 touches of his own (not overly damaging though) whilst holding Sculls to what I think is a career low of 13.

In Scully's defence he was subbed off around 3 quarter time with a slight knock to the knee, but I reckon he was a chance (albeit a small one) to be given the red vest anyway. He struggled at the stoppages, and Melbourne time honoured practice of never blocking and shepperding for players being tagged didn't help him.

Scully being the ultimate professional that he is will no doubt re-watch this game 100 times to learn as much as he possibily can- and he should too. He will be tagged for the rest of his career (particuarly if he goes to GWS) so it's something he'll have to (and will) learn to beat. I'm happy that it happened in a game that we were very little chance of losing despite him being ineffective, and see this as a positive learning experience.

Pros:
-
Will learn from this experience

Cons:
- tagged out of game
- disposal efficiency 62% which is poor and 4 of 13 touches were clangers
- knock to knee- should be nothing but still concerning

Round Twenty 2011: Carlton v Melbourne @ MCG(76 point loss)

Rating: 5/10
Disposals: 20 (14 contested & 6 uncontested)
Kicks: 5
Marks: 2 uncontested
Free Kicks: 1 for and 1 against
Efficiency: 65%
Clearances: 3
Goals: 0.2

SC Score: 80 Points

Another terrible day for the Melbourne Football Club- despite Brad 'Skirt' Green claiming in a press conference that he was proud that we 'didn't get blown away'. Oh really Brad? WTF is a blowout then you chump? Is 186+ only considered a blowout now and 10 goal plus losses are just normal losses?

Bit I digress! I thought Scully wasn't bad considering he was first up after 3 weeks out with his troublesome knee again. It wasn't the sort of day a young midfielder could expect to enjoy- any date with Judd and co never ends well. Scully got a lot of hardball but couldnt find time and space to use it constructively- as evidenced by his 5 kicks and 15 handballs. Had he converted his two (half) chances at goal we would probably be saying he was one of our best with Wattsy, but that's just how it goes.

I expect him to play at least one elite game from our last 4 as I think he's been building towards it for a while. Hopefully it's against WC as it's very much a must win game.

Pros:
- Battled hard all day
- Plenty of contested ball which is great for an undersized midget
- 6 tackles

Cons:
- kick to handball ratio
- disposal efficiency average again

Round Twenty-One 2011: Melbourne v WCE @ Etihad(48 point loss)

Disposals: 18 (8 contested & 10 uncontested)
Kicks: 8
Handballs: 10
Free Kicks: 2 for and 2 against
Efficiency: 67%
Clearances: 5
Inside 50’s: 1

SC Score: 60 Points

Tagged all day by the impressive young Scott Selwood, Scully struggled to impact the game in a meaningful manner. He had his bursts where his amazing running ability would carry him to contests he had no right to get to, but these bursts were unfortunately intermittent. Scott Selwood has held better players to less but at the end of the day Scully will need to learn how to better deal with a tag- especially if he moves north to felafel town.

When Scully did get his mits on it his disposal was as it usually is, fairly mediocre. His quick hands out of packs help create plays but his inability to hurt the opposition by foot at this point is clearly his number one deficiency. If he can improve his kicking (and there's no reason why he can't) and learn to break a tag he will be an absolute star- but there's a way to go yet...

Pros:
- creates play but getting ball at bottom of packs
- ran hard as per usual

Cons:
- kick to handball ratio
- the two above 'cons' have appeared in nearly very review

Round Twenty-Two 2011: Melbourne v Richmond @ MCG(7 point loss)

Disposals: 16 (8 contested & 8 uncontested)
Kicks: 5
Handballs: 11
Tackles: 3
Free Kicks: 0 for and 0 against
Efficiency: 69%
Clearances: 0
Clangers: 2

SC Score: 76 Points

Another underwhelming performance by Scully on Sunday. He is clearly not 100% as his famous work rate is down on it's normally elite level. Admittedly due to it being a fairly close game I didnt concentrate on Scully like I normally do, but he appeared to be matched up on Shane Edwards who usually keeps his opponents pretty honest.

I think Scully is cooked for 2011- I would be happy to see him get rested from here on in (if that is going to help his knee) and a player such as Jetta given a couple of games to show his wares. If rest isn't going to help then by all means play on but ultimately we should be looking out for his long-term interests.

Pros:
- on an off day, he still gets 16 touches

Cons:
- kick to handball ratio
- looks injured

Regardless of how Scully is playing, i still appreciate the review mate, you have done a good job, and yeah i can understand how hard it is focusing on him for long periods, i generally look at the centre bounce set up and who ever is in the forward or defence at my end of the ground then lose it after the first clearance....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back