Certified Legendary Thread Patrick Cripps and Ah Chee

Remove this Banner Ad

To be fair the wording around Rough Conduct and Front on Contact is littered with "reasonably practicable" "reasonably foresee" and all manner of subjective language that always comes down to the MRO and tribunal interpretation. If that want you to get done for it, they can make almost any incident fit into the category. If they want you to get off, it's all about how "reasonable" it is.

Those provisions are mostly in there to prevent someone getting suspended for getting pushed into someone’s path, or a player tripping and having their head inadvertently collected by a passer-by, only to cop a suspension for not getting out of the way in time. Last minute change of direction stuff.

Could Cripps reasonably forsee that jumping into an opponent with his arm tucked in and elbow at head height would concuss the player if he hits him in the head. Sounds sensible to me.

Yup, 100% agree. My point is that if they wanted to get him off they 100% could with some of the statements outlined in there. I think a player parked under the ball, arms outstretched has a right to a certain amount of protection from someone cannoning their head with their elbow, forearm or shoulder. Otherwise we'd still let defenders throw swinging arm "spoils" into the heads of players camped under the ball for an incoming mark. The game does not need that, or this, but you can spin "reasonable" into any direction depending on how you want the outcome to play out.

Could Cripps reasonably forsee that jumping into an opponent with his arm tucked in and elbow at head height would concuss the player if he hits him in the head. Sounds sensible to me.
Do you think in this case that if he extended out his arm further he would have done more/less damage? Perhaps he could throw out a cheeky elbow rather than tucking it in?

For reference, the AFL Tribunal on Tuesday night deliberated for about 40 minutes. If we're sticking to tonight's script, this deliberation will be longer.

Gut feel is Carlton won't win, but I am:

A) Not a lawyer

B) Tired.

If he gets off its a complete farce

Firstly it wasn't a marking contest where you could reasonably expect someone to jump off the ground when attempting to mark ... which happens close to hundred times in game that a player jumps to mark the ball

Given it wasn't a marking contest Cripps had many other options to contest the ball rather than to jump and cannon into him

Head is supposedly sacrosanct outside of marking contests ..... but hey Cripps is football royalty so every chance he gets a bullshit reprieve

You bump the head, you’re going in!

Don’t think Carlton are going to get him off by citing Free Property Rights of Horse and Carriage from 1798.

Firstly it wasn't a marking contest where you could reasonably expect someone to jump off the ground when attempting to mark ... which happens close to hundred times in game that a player jumps to mark the ball

Given it wasn't a marking contest Cripps had many other options to contest the ball rather than to jump and cannon into him

Ruckmen jump and grab it out of the ruck all the time. They arent marking contests.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Where are we at?

d0a.gif

Remove this Banner Ad

Certified Legendary Thread Patrick Cripps and Ah Chee

Remove this Banner Ad

Back