Certified Legendary Thread Patrick Cripps and Ah Chee

Remove this Banner Ad

How many ruck contests have resulted in a player getting concussed?

Because both are tall it doesnt happen as often but how many knee injuries have occurred? Heaps. Way more than two non ruckmen players jumping and getting concussed. Where do u draw the line at it just being unlucky accidents and changing the game so much it becomes non contact? Its a tough one

"Whadda we reckon fellas? Still guilty?"
"Yep!"
"Thought so, now we better wait a few hours to make it look like this whole thing wasn't a waste of time, and job done."

Because both are tall it doesnt happen as often but how many knee injuries have occurred? Heaps. Way more than two non ruckmen players jumping and getting concussed. Where do u draw the line at it just being unlucky accidents and changing the game so much it becomes non contact? Its a tough one
Yep, concussions just don’t happen in ruck contests. You never see rucks jump late to a contest and impact the head with their body.

So there should be no comparison between the Cripps contest and those that take place with ruckmen.

Still shorter than Titanic

Its Been A Long Time Reaction GIF

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why change it when it's already there?

Because the panel tries to take a guess at whether the player could do anything different to decide how many weeks they get.

Its pure guesswork in the 50/50 cases.

I get the AFL are trying to get on top of concussions but suspending Cripps isnt changing anything with future concussion incidents. They now making the last two Carlton games and Brownlow count less exciting for fans.

What happened to Ahchee is unfortunate but to me it was an accident. Cripps was just trying to get to every contest to get them the win to make finals in like forever. Hes also a Brownlow chance so no way he would risk getting suspended.

Every player in Cripps situation (one win from finals and Brownlow chance) would have contested that ball unless they were smaller than Ahchee imo.

If the AFL truly care about reducing injuries, then they should just change the rule which means Cripps just wont go for that ball next time and the AFL will be softer but then all players will be safer.

Last edited:
The interesting outcome is if the appeals board decide that Cripps hasn't had a fair hearing at the AFL tribunal due to Gleeson not telling the other two QCs minutiae of football laws.

I'm not sure there is a facility for a player to be sent back to the tribunal to hold another hearing, follow the steps again and then reach the same outcome.

Sort of like if a player is on video punching a guy in the face and is charged with rough conduct, banned for 6 weeks. Takes it to the appeal and says "that isn't rough conduct, Gleeson should have told them the difference between rough conduct and a strike" and the appeals board decide it's a strike - throwing out the six weeks.

I'm not sure they have the capacity to alter a judgement.

The interesting outcome is if the appeals board decide that Cripps hasn't had a fair hearing at the AFL tribunal due to Gleeson not telling the other two QCs minutiae of football laws.

I'm not sure there is a facility for a player to be sent back to the tribunal to hold another hearing, follow the steps again and then reach the same outcome.

Sort of like if a player is on video punching a guy in the face and is charged with rough conduct, banned for 6 weeks. Takes it to the appeal and says "that isn't rough conduct, Gleeson should have told them the difference between rough conduct and a strike" and the appeals board decide it's a strike - throwing out the six weeks.

The thing is a bump is part of rough conduct.

Because the panel tries to take a guess at whether the player could do anything different to decide how many weeks they get.

Its pure guesswork in the 50/50 cases.

I get the AFL are trying to get on top of concussions but suspending Cripps isnt changing anything with future concussion incidents. They now making the last two Carlton games and Brownlow less exciting for fans.

What happened to Ahchee is unfortunate but to me it was an accident. Cripps was just trying to get to every contest to get them the win to make finals in like forever. Hes also a Brownlow chance so no way he would risk getting suspended.

Every player in Cripps situation (one win from finals and Brownlow chance) would have contested that ball unless they were smaller than Ahchee imo.

If the AFL truly care about reducing injuries, then they should just change the rule which means Cripps just wont go for that ball next time and the AFL will be softer but then all players will be safer.
Most other players would have kept their feet and either gone the contested ball bump with their feet planted reducing the risk of hitting the opposition player in the head or gone the tackle once the opposition player possessed the ball

Cripps jumped into the back of AhChee's head with his arm tucked in

They allow the appeal, step in the shoes of the tribunal and determine the matter as they believe it should have been but the technicality doesn’t impact the finding of 2 weeks.

Looking forward to the Kayo Mini of the decision
yeah but knowing the way the afl and kayo cut up their replay packages, there will be a couple shots of the lawyers dropping a paper, a picture of the building, someone in the crowd waving at the camera, the judge taking a drink, and then it will cut off right before the verdict is given. all in SD, and it will conveniently freeze halfway and the only way to see the end is to watch the whole thing again including the betting ad at the front

Remove this Banner Ad

Certified Legendary Thread Patrick Cripps and Ah Chee

Remove this Banner Ad

Back