Certified Legendary Thread Patrick Cripps and Ah Chee

Remove this Banner Ad

And I'm sure if this was DeGoey in Cripps' shoes you would see no issue and be glad he got off?
Would I be glad? No, because the selfish Carlton supporter in me would want him out for obvious reasons. But I wouldn't be framing it as some kind of conspiracy.

And I'm sure if this was DeGoey in Cripps' shoes you would see no issue and be glad he got off?

In the same exact circumstances? Of course. Two players genuinely contesting a high ball.

Ask yourself though. If it were De Goey instead of Ah Chee, do you think most fans would have been baying for blood? 2 fierce competitors collide, play on I reckon they'd say.

How much of this came down to big ol' bruiser Cripps vs little man Ah Chee in their thinking?

In the same exact circumstances? Of course. Two players genuinely contesting a high ball.

Ask yourself though. If it were De Goey instead of Ah Chee, do you think most fans would have been baying for blood? 2 fierce competitors collide, play on I reckon they'd say.

How much of this came down to big ol' bruiser Cripps vs little man Ah Chee in their thinking?

No I don't think it did. If you've played the game you know you can definitely keep your eyes on the ball and bump someone at the same time. Cripps went into that contest to hurt Ah Chee. Not the intention of concussing him, but definitely to hurt him. And he was concussed from his actions, and the hit was absolutely a bumping action.

If you read what the appeals board handed down it is a laughable technicality. That it was not established as a bump and that the tribunal decided it was a bump behind closed doors.

I definitely think the AFL wanted Cripps off this charge given how big the last two rounds will be. Him being there adds 10k to the Pies v Blues match next round. Plus he may be in Brownlow contention as well.

I mean seriously, how could no tribunal have reasonably seen that as a bump?

The more I think about it the more I am convinced that football was the real winner.

Carlton fans happy :whitecheck:
Everyone else brought together by being unhappy :whitecheck:
One of football's good guys gets to play on the weekend :whitecheck:

Everybody wins!

No I don't think it did. If you've played the game you know you can definitely keep your eyes on the ball and bump someone at the same time. Cripps went into that contest to hurt Ah Chee. Not the intention of concussing him, but definitely to hurt him. And he was concussed from his actions, and the hit was absolutely a bumping action.

If you read what the appeals board handed down it is a laughable technicality. That it was not established as a bump and that the tribunal decided it was a bump behind closed doors.

I definitely think the AFL wanted Cripps off this charge given how big the last two rounds will be. Him being there adds 10k to the Pies v Blues match next round. Plus he may be in Brownlow contention as well.

I mean seriously, how could no tribunal have reasonably seen that as a bump?

A lot of supposition there. There is no evidence that he intended to bump or that he wanted to hurt Ah Chee. That's your perception. The AFL didn't want him to get off. That's conspiracy madness and you lose traction in the debate by claiming it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wtf is a Ben Long

He clearly didn't.
Even the AFL prosecution admitted he was going for the ball.
If its deemed that he was going for the ball - with both hands out reaching towards the ball - then it seems to me its the right decision to let him off.

The AFL want to cover their arses every time someone is knocked out in this contact sport of ours. They are desperately searching for ways to suspend players for actions that are a reasonable expectation in the game so they can say that they have done their utmost to take head high contact out of the game. The problem is that this is a 360 degree game where contesting for the ball is the main goal. They can write rules for players shepherding high, running past the ball to block someone and catching them high, slinging them to the ground when it wasn't needed and a myriad of things that could have been done differently without affecting the main goal of contesting for the football.

They can't stop people flying for marks and knocking themselves out. Diving on a ball and knocking themselves out on someone's knee. Jumping to contest a ball, whether in a marking contest or otherwise.

They can't legislate for size differences or one's ability to leap higher than another. They suspended Lachie Plowman last year for making high contact with a Hawks player. Plowman was attempting to spoil the whole time until the last second when he turned to protect himself, lowered his fist and they got him for choose to bump. Cripps never pulled his arms in for contact. His arms remained extended to take the ball on his chest. The AFL contention that he could have not jumped so high and tried to take the ball with his outstretched arms instead of on his chest is just a ridiculous leap in logic considering the time he had to make the decision. They also tried to suggest he should have waited down for Ah Chee to take the ball and tried to tackle. Like literally stand there and wait.

Not really how our game is played is it?

All true, but when player(s) come at the AFL with law suits about how they got repeatedly concussed, and how it was a known issue at the time, the only OH&S defense the league can mount is that they took all reasonable steps to minimise the risk.

Don't do it, and the league might as well close down now, because the lawyers will close it down before long.

I wish it were otherwise, because in many ways it sucks, but that's the way it is...

Kellam said after he and jurors Richard Loveridge and Stephen Jurica viewed the footage, they believed Cripps did not bump and was merely contesting the ball.

"The video did not reveal a bump, it set out as a contest for the ball that resulted in a collision," Kellam said.

Seems as though Carlton have had their last win of the year, and aren't they up and about?

Pity it was at an Appeals Board and not in the footy field.
Don’t concern yourself too much Fudgeboy. Results are heading in the right direction. Carlton will more than likely miss finals , and collingwood will tick off grand final loss number 28
And all pies supporters will be content once again just being there…..

Hilarious coming from a Richmond supporter.
leave your petty schoolyard team hates out of this

This is about a thug-act by Cripps. 'Flying the flag' by wiping out an opposition player has been consigned to the history books for decades now.

Look at the dominant side of the current era, Richmond, and teams that have taken on their ethos recently like Collingwood. You lift your team by actually enjoying playing the game with each other.

It's not about treating your opponent as so low and hated that you are prepared to give them brain damage in order to win.

Remove this Banner Ad

Certified Legendary Thread Patrick Cripps and Ah Chee

Remove this Banner Ad

Back