Certified Legendary Thread Patrick Cripps and Ah Chee

Remove this Banner Ad

Somebody else has perfectly summed up the events of the initial suspension and appeals process:
giggle. Or we can see it all for what it really is (i.e. not a court of justice) which is a large and successful entertainment company creating further entertainment while it assesses public opinion of it's customer base as to whether it can avoid removing one of its key performers from the 'stage' for a couple of important performances vs future litigation by another/other performers.

It would seem their assessment is on point.

Now go Carlton. I want to see 2 more wins.

For people wanting Cripps rubbed out - do you think he was

a) eyes on the ball attempting to collect it

or

b) eyes on the player electing to bump
False dichotomy?

You're being incredibly pedantic about this one term. Take a step back from your training. Nobody gives a * about flexion and extension and how it relates to Cripps' arms.
When people say his arms were extended, they simply mean not tucked in and not by his side. They simply mean out in front of him (regardless of which joints are in the technical act of flexion or extension) in a manner to take possession of the ball. You won't win the argument by proving that somebody is using the flexion/extension wrong.
You’re the one who decided to use technicalities, hence my response of “Oh Christ, here we go. Anyway, correct, in large part, regardless of what position individual joints were in, Cripps’ arms were not extended as you would expect of someone contesting the ball. In order to contest the ball with someone who has their arms extended, as Ah Chee had, you would typically need to extend your own. For all intents and purposes, you can use the word “reach” in place of “extend”, and if that was Cripps’ imitation of reaching, he wouldn’t have gotten to the sugary snacks on the high shelf.

He kept his arms pretty close to his side. Maybe he was competing with Ah Chee for the drop zone, in the hope that if he took Ah Chee out, the ball would drop into his awaiting arms. He certainly wasn’t making any movement of his limbs toward the ball in a way which would allow him to take it from Ah Chee.

Last edited:
You lose credibility when you compare Carlton fans to Trumps Qanon Dissidents or the Israeli Army/Government.

You crossed a line Samples.

Dang, does this mean I lose my customer loyalty discount?

People know what happened - they just think it's bullshit that a loophole is what determined the outcome.

That AFL doesn't actually care about anything in these circumstances other than being seen to have made all reasonable efforts to protect players.

So that if Ah Chee later has serious brain injuries revealed the AFL isn't going to be vulnerable around a negligence lawsuit.

Pretty rank that Cripp's father came out to defend him, Cripps should defend himself if he is a man. The Steve Smith father thing was pathetic also.
A father defending his son = rank.

Daddy Hardwick abusing a VFL player to support one of his players = Richmond supporter circle jerk time.

Cripps should’ve just come out and said Mummy told me I hurt him so now I realise what I did was wrong.

That AFL doesn't actually care about anything in these circumstances other than being seen to have made all reasonable efforts to protect players.

So that if Ah Chee later has serious brain injuries revealed the AFL isn't going to be vulnerable around a negligence lawsuit.

As awful as it is, and it is, the AFL will be relieved that they can turn the narrative to one of solidarity with Ah Chee over racism, rather than focussing on the utterly shambolic process which led to this outcome.

Dang, does this mean I lose my customer loyalty discount?

Taken my unbiased hat aside, I think Cripps arguably deserved a week for recklessness/lack of duty of care, I get why opposition supporters are upset to an extent, but to play devil's advocate, Cripps has always been a fair ball player in the best, never been suspended, I honestly think the AFL have kind of brought this upon themselves with the so called MRP and grading for so called 'impact' of actions of offending players and esp not taking into account previous tribunal/MRP suspensions of normally fair players like Cripps.

Scrap the MRP and Chrisso and revert back to the old system (Tribunal
Hearing for all reportable/controversial cases and one more night of an appeal if a club or player wants to challenge it)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For people wanting Cripps rubbed out - do you think he was

a) eyes on the ball attempting to collect it

or

b) eyes on the player electing to bump

For me - the vision I have seen - a) looks the most likely scenario. The fact Ah Chee is injured should only come into it once it has been shown that the action was wrong.

An example I use a lot - 2009 Round 14 - Michael Gardiner take a mark in the goal square to win arguably one of the greatest H&A matches ever.

In the same marking contest - Harry Taylor was knocked out cold from Gardiner's elbow. Are we saying that because he was conussed Gardiner should be suspended? Or do we accept that in a brutal physical sport, that two players going for the ball - that injury can ensue?

The shrill call about "but, but, but - someone got hurt.... " Weakest argument ever

Eyes on the ball means nothing in this situation. You can watch the ball and still bump someone in the head and it's still a suspension.

Taken my unbiased hat aside, I think Cripps arguably deserved a week for recklessness/lack of duty of care, I get why opposition supporters are upset to an extent, but to play devil's advocate, Cripps has always been a fair ball player in the best, never been suspended, I honestly think the AFL have kind of brought this upon themselves with the so called MRP and grading for so called 'impact' of actions of offending players and esp not taking into account previous tribunal/MRP suspensions of normally fair players like Cripps.

Scrap the MRP and Chrisso and revert back to the old system (Tribunal
Hearing for all reportable/controversial cases and one more night of an appeal if a club or player wants to challenge it)
Tend to agree, I doubt he was lining him up, suspect it was a split second decision, but he should have gotten a holiday for not showing a duty of care, which is all the AFL has been banging on about for quite a while now.

Yep... sure he did...

image.jpg
As a Giants bloke, I just love the way Trent plays, and in this instance, how he wanted it more. And he got it. As did the Tiges that day and the next week. That's how flags are won gents and lasses.

Eyes on the ball means nothing in this situation. You can watch the ball and still bump someone in the head and it's still a suspension.

Not true, you can tell everything about what someone is thinking or intending just by gazing into their eyes…

patrick-mahomes-no-look-pass.gif

Absence of evidence isn’t evidence of absence, but no, there isn’t any evidence on video to say he was contesting the ball.

Nor to say that his arms are extended. Flexing your elbows isn’t extending your arms, no matter how much you want it to be.

Can’t be certain it was his hip, but it was either hip, or elbow, or both.

LOL that you think the video confirms your opinion that he was contesting the ball, and at the same time refutes that he made forceful contact with Ah Chee’s head. It is fascinating the extent to which people can interpret visual evidence differently depending on their point of view, and frankly terrifies me if ever I’m to be reliant on eyewitness testimony for any reason.
"everyone is wearing rose tinted glasses besides me"

Pretty rank that Cripp's father came out to defend him, Cripps should defend himself if he is a man. The Steve Smith father thing was pathetic also.
yep, if Cripps had any decency, he would tell the AFL he has changed his mind and will accept a ban.

Sure, you can say that Carlton forced him to appeal and climb down whatever rat hole they could to get him off the charge, but Cripps should be his own man.

He did the act, he should happily face the consequence.

Who knows though, it could also be all coming from Cripps, a personal crusade for finals or brownlow, leading to this whatever-it-takes behaviour.

As has been said a fair bit, whether this has come from Cripps or Carlton, the game is a lot worse off for it.

This decision is an absolute joke and just proves how ineffectual the AFL 'ruling authorities' really are.

Cause a player to leave the field because of a high hit and said player was then not be able to come back on the field and play a part in the match.

See concussion rule because that means more than 1 match lost by the affected player and the guilty party walks away.

Great look AFL and so enforced the protection of head rule. :rolleyes:

Remove this Banner Ad

Certified Legendary Thread Patrick Cripps and Ah Chee

Remove this Banner Ad

Back