Traded Patrick Dangerfield [traded w/ pick 50 to Geelong for 9, 28 and Gore]

Remove this Banner Ad

Cats will still have next year's round 1 and some early-ish picks this year. Those would definitely be worth more than the compo pick (15).

As it sits today the cats will have pick 8 or 9 and next years first round.

What they do with those picks is entirely up to them. If they have committed to PD they will obviously have to use them to get him or trade damn well if we match. If they havent committed to PD, they can take a gamble by using those picks and seeing what Adelaide will do. Thats a commercial decision they will have to make but if a commitment has been made then you would hope they would honor that commitment.

As it sits today the cats will have pick 8 or 9 and next years first round.

What they do with those picks is entirely up to them. If they have committed to PD they will obviously have to use them to get him or trade damn well if we match. If they havent committed to PD, they can take a gamble by using those picks and seeing what Adelaide will do. Thats a commercial decision they will have to make but if a commitment has been made then you would hope they would honor that commitment.

A good way of thinking about this, is considering it as a hypothetical trade situation where he is out of contract (which is what matching brings).

Adelaide have been offered pick 15 for Danger.

Now in this situation - everyone would be laughing at that offer. And no one would expect the crows to consider accepting it.

Or another way of thinking about it - would Cats fans accept pick 15-20 for Joel Selwood?

Going further you could ask, if Selwood was up for RFA and West Coast offered $700K so he could be with his Bro, give Geelong the decision to match and see if they can get a couple of picks or let him walk and if they finsihed up the ladder and were due for pick 15, see if that would be sufficent or attempt to get compensated for what they believe is fair and reasonable, probably unders but fair.

Lots of Cats fans still don't understand that the benefits of free agency are only intended for unrestricted free agents, or restricted free agents (once their club decides not to match).

There was never any intention for RFAs to obtain the benefits of free agency until their team decides not to match.

The AFLPA signed off on this. It's what they wanted.

^^^^^^^^^

This... Nailed it

Looks in to see if Marty's batteries have run out yet….

Nope… damn Duracell….

GO Catters

Sorry, in what possible universe do you believe a well respected club, who've not only had to deal with previous draft sanctions, the whole indignity that followed and were therefore put back years in our long term planning, put years into developing a guy who will, by the time his career ends, end up one of the greatest players of our generation, allowed him to continue his schooling and gain a yr 12 education back home without having to uproot his entire life and move interstate, put to him one of the biggest offers our club has ever offered a player of his age previously, just allow our most marketable and electrifying drawcard for not only our fans but the football world alike to up and leave without receiving due compensation or taking advantage of the appropriate mechanisms in place.

You really think as an RFA if Danger tells us he's considering an offer to go home, we're not going to turn around and say, that's fine Patty, but we'll be matching that offer, so as to obtain the best possible compensation for years of accommodating you, throwing the house at you and developing you into the player you are today?

This drivel about us not wanting a player who doesn't want to be here IS ridiculous, Dangerfield and his manager know as well as anyone as an organisation we have every right to use the mechanisms stipulated by our governing body, not to mention the fact that if he is indeed so keen to get home why would he be currently so driven to bleed for our club now. If they can't get the deal done and Patty stays you're in dreamland if you believe he's going to be miserable here while he's creating history with our club on-field.

The rules were stipulated for a reason, there is nothing the AFLPA can do if we decide to match the offer and a suitable deal cannot be reached, they were the biggest advocates of FA in the first place and know full well we would be ebtirely acting within the rules of said player movement mediums by doing our due diligence, for our club's chances of sustained success and our supporters.

The mere fact the top dog of the AFL chooses to disclose in a roundabout way there has been a deal offered, AFTER our club has taken a hardline policy of not entertaining any speculation or giving a running commentary on contract negotiations the entire year, speaks volumes of the integrity of this competition from the top down. Gillon can say what he likes, he too is fully aware Adelaide will be acting entirely within their rights and there isn't a damn thing he, or anyone else for that matter at the AFL or AFLPA can do about it.

As for your last point, two of those clubs had coaching changes in the past 12 months to lists that were already brimming with elite talent and a raft of first round draft selections, the other just believed they were better than they actually were and got way ahead of themselves, they weren't willing to work hard enough for each other, do the hard yards on the field and their coach lacked the foresight to forsee the rest of the competition were inevitably going to work them out and catch up to them, and had no plan B in place, that much was blatantly evident if you watched Port Adelaide this season. Not one of those three clubs mentioned, nor the remaining 15 other clubs, have had to endure what our club has this year, the galvanising effect of which has already been blatantly obvious for all to see, incase you missed the second half of the season and last week's finals victory against all odds.

Our list is in extremely healthy shape and I have no concerns about our future prospects moving forward. No club in the AFL can even dream of having that level of togetherness, purely as a result of the tragic events that have moulded us and will continue to drive us forward. I think you are gravely underestimating the influence Phil Walsh had on this playing group in his short time with them.

While your club is fighting it out for draft picks each year and risking internal backlash by compromising their well-documented stringent pay structure, throwing massive $$$ at free agents year after year in a vain attempt just to keep your premiership window alive, our club will be prospering from doing it the right way, doing the hard yards and continuing to build a list that is already in as healthy shape as Hawthorn's long term (if you don't believe me, go and speak to someone at champion data) that accepts nothing but elite standards, the very standards Walsh instilled along with the legacy he left behind.

What on earth are you talking about?

The post I was replying to (which you quoted) essentially opined that if Adelaide matched and Geelong couldn't/wouldn't trade, Dangerfield would simply stay a further two seasons. This is blatantly ridiculous. If Dangerfield accepts a RFA contract from Geelong he is doing so in the knowledge that he has had years to think about where he wants to spend the next chapter of his career. To think he could potentially, in the space of a week, shrug his shoulders and say "well, a deal can't get worked out, I may as well just sign with Adelaide" is fairyland stuff. Make no bones about it, if Danger accepts a RFA deal with us, you can bet that many of the things speculated by the media this season (Dangerfield buying a house close to Simonds Stadium, Geelong insiders extremely confident they have him) were true all along.

The Crows' list is reasonable but I don't see you as a premiership threat in the next 2-3 years even if Patrick stays. That's my opinion and I'm entitled to it. You can talk about Walsh's standards all you like, and I'm proud of your club for the resilience they've shown in the past two months, but I simply think 6-8 clubs have better lists than you. Win tonight, and I hope you do, and maybe my opinion will start to sway.

What on earth are you talking about?

The post I was replying to (which you quoted) essentially opined that if Adelaide matched and Geelong couldn't/wouldn't trade, Dangerfield would simply stay a further two seasons. This is blatantly ridiculous. If Dangerfield accepts a RFA contract from Geelong he is doing so in the knowledge that he has had years to think about where he wants to spend the next chapter of his career. To think he could potentially, in the space of a week, shrug his shoulders and say "well, a deal can't get worked out, I may as well just sign with Adelaide" is fairyland stuff. Make no bones about it, if Danger accepts a RFA deal with us, you can bet that many of the things speculated by the media this season (Dangerfield buying a house close to Simonds Stadium, Geelong insiders extremely confident they have him) were true all along.

The Crows' list is reasonable but I don't see you as a premiership threat in the next 2-3 years even if Patrick stays. That's my opinion and I'm entitled to it. You can talk about Walsh's standards all you like, and I'm proud of your club for the resilience they've shown in the past two months, but I simply think 6-8 clubs have better lists than you. Win tonight, and I hope you do, and maybe my opinion will start to sway.

So he has had two years to think about it and hasn't concerned himself with getting a 100% assurances which he could easily request from Geelong?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sorry, in what possible universe do you believe a well respected club, who've not only had to deal with previous draft sanctions, the whole indignity that followed and were therefore put back years in our long term planning, put years into developing a guy who will, by the time his career ends, end up one of the greatest players of our generation, allowed him to continue his schooling and gain a yr 12 education back home without having to uproot his entire life and move interstate, put to him one of the biggest offers our club has ever offered a player of his age previously, just allow our most marketable and electrifying drawcard for not only our fans but the football world alike to up and leave without receiving due compensation or taking advantage of the appropriate mechanisms in place.

You really think as an RFA if Danger tells us he's considering an offer to go home, we're not going to turn around and say, that's fine Patty, but we'll be matching that offer, so as to obtain the best possible compensation for years of accommodating you, throwing the house at you and developing you into the player you are today?

This drivel about us not wanting a player who doesn't want to be here IS ridiculous, Dangerfield and his manager know as well as anyone as an organisation we have every right to use the mechanisms stipulated by our governing body, not to mention the fact that if he is indeed so keen to get home why would he be currently so driven to bleed for our club now. If they can't get the deal done and Patty stays you're in dreamland if you believe he's going to be miserable here while he's creating history with our club on-field.

The rules were stipulated for a reason, there is nothing the AFLPA can do if we decide to match the offer and a suitable deal cannot be reached, they were the biggest advocates of FA in the first place and know full well we would be ebtirely acting within the rules of said player movement mediums by doing our due diligence, for our club's chances of sustained success and our supporters.

The mere fact the top dog of the AFL chooses to disclose in a roundabout way there has been a deal offered, AFTER our club has taken a hardline policy of not entertaining any speculation or giving a running commentary on contract negotiations the entire year, speaks volumes of the integrity of this competition from the top down. Gillon can say what he likes, he too is fully aware Adelaide will be acting entirely within their rights and there isn't a damn thing he, or anyone else for that matter at the AFL or AFLPA can do about it.

As for your last point, two of those clubs had coaching changes in the past 12 months to lists that were already brimming with elite talent and a raft of first round draft selections, the other just believed they were better than they actually were and got way ahead of themselves, they weren't willing to work hard enough for each other, do the hard yards on the field and their coach lacked the foresight to forsee the rest of the competition were inevitably going to work them out and catch up to them, and had no plan B in place, that much was blatantly evident if you watched Port Adelaide this season. Not one of those three clubs mentioned, nor the remaining 15 other clubs, have had to endure what our club has this year, the galvanising effect of which has already been blatantly obvious for all to see, incase you missed the second half of the season and last week's finals victory against all odds.

Our list is in extremely healthy shape and I have no concerns about our future prospects moving forward. No club in the AFL can even dream of having that level of togetherness, purely as a result of the tragic events that have moulded us and will continue to drive us forward. I think you are gravely underestimating the influence Phil Walsh had on this playing group in his short time with them.

While your club is fighting it out for draft picks each year and risking internal backlash by compromising their well-documented stringent pay structure, throwing massive $$$ at free agents year after year in a vain attempt just to keep your premiership window alive, our club will be prospering from doing it the right way, doing the hard yards and continuing to build a list that is already in as healthy shape as Hawthorn's long term (if you don't believe me, go and speak to someone at champion data) that accepts nothing but elite standards, the very standards Walsh instilled along with the legacy he left behind.
This is the most contradictory and self-serving post I think I've read on big footy. You're tripping some heavy balls.
You are calling your club "well respected" then following it up by saying "who've not only had to deal with previous draft sanctions" :drunk:
Seriously, you've made the finials for what the first time in 5 years and the second time in a decade and you're lecturing the equal most success club in your life time about "doing it the right way" and lecturing us on how to build a list. Give me a ****ing spell.

Are you serious? You've got a board member on radio every other day talking shit about it, your players and current coach. There is no bigger campaigner in the AFL landscape than Roo.

Oh and you're over-rating the **** out of your list: it's not bursting with "elite talent".

So he has had two years to think about it and hasn't concerned himself with getting a 100% assurances which he could easily request from Geelong?

The assurances are not the point.

The point is once he has lodged an offer with geelong and planned with mardi and his family to go home he is not very well going to a) live in a different state from her for 2 years or b) ask her to stay in adelaide,just because the crows match.no one is going to trash marriage and family like that.crows fans suggesting there is any realistic chance he stays if they match is the height of delusional.

Sure,adelaide can match to try and get better compo as is their right,but they cant keep him.once he lodges fa he is gone,be that through FA or trade or the draft.

The assurances are not the point.

The point is once he has lodged an offer with geelong and planned with mardi and his family to go home he is not very well going to a) live in a different state from her for 2 years or b) ask her to stay in adelaide,just because the crows match.no one is going to trash marriage and family like that.crows fans suggesting there is any realistic chance he stays if they match is the height of delusional.

Sure,adelaide can match to try and get better compo as is their right,but they cant keep him.once he lodges fa he is gone,be that through FA or trade or the draft.
If Adelaide did match, and Geelong put up the walls and didn't trade for him, he would go into the pre-season draft where he could potentially go to Carlton, Brisbane, Gold Coast, Essendon, St Kilda, Melbourne, Collingwood or GWS before Geelong.

Do you think all those teams would overlook Danger?

If Adelaide did match, and Geelong put up the walls and didn't trade for him, he would go into the pre-season draft where he could potentially go to Carlton, Brisbane, Gold Coast, Essendon, St Kilda, Melbourne, Collingwood or GWS before Geelong.

Do you think all those teams would overlook Danger?

I dont know whether they would take him or not but that wasnt my point.

The point is that he will enter the draft having already gone that far.

our club will be prospering from doing it the right way, doing the hard yards and continuing to build a list that is already in as healthy shape as Hawthorn's long term (if you don't believe me, go and speak to someone at champion data) that accepts nothing but elite standards, the very standards Walsh instilled along with the legacy he left behind.
:$ 58 plays 14...

Anyone heard that his Girlfriend just landed a job in Chadstone? Not the Shopping Centre. It's a long commute from Geelong to Chadstone each day.

Remove this Banner Ad

Traded Patrick Dangerfield [traded w/ pick 50 to Geelong for 9, 28 and Gore]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back