Patrick Dangerfield

Remove this Banner Ad

Why is this thread still going? It was started by a known troll on our board, and Dangerfield isn't going anywhere, I really don't know how many times he needs to state that. You are all basing your comments on media hype which was based on questions heavily biased to a Victorian audience.

I don't care if some of you think he is over rated or whatever, we are quite happy with him at Adelaide.

Pretty sure we are well aware of this BACCS.
Nothing wrong with discussion though.

would Mitch Brown be a player we may look at trading for Dangerfield if the Cats manage to also secure Menzel's younger brother?

No. We need our KPP's, and Mitch will be a good one.

It is theoretically possible we could get Dangerfield without losing Menzel but unlikely. We're probably not going to give up young players (unless we're talking fringe types like Hogan and they have little trade vale anyway) unless they ask to leave.

Therefore it would be something like our first rounder (probably in the 20's again if we finish our top 4) + our compo and other clubs like Melb/Rich for example may be able to top that offer.

I'd be very happy to see Dangerfield in the hoops but I think it's unlikely unless Menz really does want to go home (and I'd like to keep Menz).

Could be some complicated three way trade with goldcoast re tippett.

But honestly I have no idea what it would cost us, I would rather keep our list intact.

With the amount of times we have given away fringe players for a packet of chewies and half a can of 7-Up maybe they will give us Dangerfield for a 3rd round pick and Simon Hogan?
You know, Karma and all :p

ha ha ha.

If Geelong want Danger, it will cost plenty. It doesn't matter how posters here view him. Adelaide rate him massively. He would only get here with something like (a) he has to demand a trade, and we give the compo pick AND someone like Menzel.

Was listening to ABC Adelaide when after the game Danger's Grandma rang in and had a chat, apparently he is extremely happy at Adelaide. He returns to Geelong every so often, and she tried to ring him the other night and he didn't pick up.

My conclusion, he ain't comin' back.

We can find another Dangerfield in the draft.

We can't afford to give up what we will need to to get him.

The club is rebuilding, not trying to pick up ready made players for a tilt at the flag. There's no way our club will consider this unless for some crazy reason he wants out and Adelaide are forced to take massive unders.

The club is rebuilding, not trying to pick up ready made players for a tilt at the flag. There's no way our club will consider this unless for some crazy reason he wants out and Adelaide are forced to take massive unders.

There's also something to be said against the damage in making good players feel expendable. Trading a player against their will should only ever really be done when such a trade will clearly make the club a better side on-field, like Moloney and Ottens. Brisbane losing Bradshaw and Rischitelli when it didn't have to is of course Example A.

There's also something to be said against the damage in making good players feel expendable. Trading a player against their will should only ever really be done when such a trade will clearly make the club a better side on-field, like Moloney and Ottens. Brisbane losing Bradshaw and Rischitelli when it didn't have to is of course Example A.

So not this? :cool:

If both Selwood and Dangerfield were keen on a swap, which is as likely as Ablett returning, I would NOT feel we had lost out on the swap. Just saying.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Correct Hoff , this has been the foundation of our list build approach. Danger is gone , the cost of getting him back will be too high. Move on. Lets just focus on finding another Smedts or Motlop or Menzel.

Only when our weakness is obvious , extreme and perhaps the last piece of the puzzle , as it was when we chased and got Ottens , is the pain worth it .

If Geelong want Danger, it will cost plenty. It doesn't matter how posters here view him. Adelaide rate him massively. He would only get here with something like (a) he has to demand a trade, and we give the compo pick AND someone like Menzel.

Add nominating Geelong and only Geelong and that is around the cost.

He seems to have made the step up to the midfield, which was the query on him (and also Rioli since everyone here likes talking about him all the time).

It's still fantasy.

No way in the world I'd give Menzel up for him. Never. Nada. No chance.

Dangers electrifying, but I don't see him ever being truly elite because his kicking can be scratchy, and that's a fundamental flaw.

Menz has an elite all-round skill set, with brute strength to match. The complete package.

R.e. Menzel I'd rather have another stevie J type (which he is) that is awkward to match up on and causes opposition coaches headaches rather than another "solid midfield type" like Watson, Ball, Swallow.

Correct Hoff , this has been the foundation of our list build approach. Danger is gone , the cost of getting him back will be too high. Move on. Lets just focus on finding another Smedts or Motlop or Menzel.

Only when our weakness is obvious , extreme and perhaps the last piece of the puzzle , as it was when we chased and got Ottens , is the pain worth it .

Considering that we haven't won a contested ball stat in 5 weeks of footy and Bartel and Kelly are getting close to 30, I'd say Dangerfield would fit a pretty big need on our list right now (a young big bodied contested ball winner).

Even in what's going to be a really good draft, if you could trade a 1st + something (e.g someone such as Tom Gillies, that type of player who could have a Laidler like impact away from Geelong), I think you have to look at doing it for sure.

Even in what's going to be a really good draft, if you could trade a 1st + something (e.g someone such as Tom Gillies, that type of player who could have a Laidler like impact away from Geelong), I think you have to look at doing it for sure.

Adelaide would want an awful lot more than that and Essendon would better it. Our first round pick is (hopefully) not going to be a good one. Dangerfield is, along with Fyfe, Christensen, Martin and Conca, one of the best young midfielders in the comp. They're not going to take an unproven 22yo and a pick in the late teens and nor should they.

Agree.

I like Gillies, but if all it took to get Dangerfield was our first pick (which is likely to be in the 20's given the number of compo picks in the first round and us being likely to finish in the top 8) and Tom, I'd drive him to the airport myself. As would most of us. No way that deal happens.

As a previous poster mentioned, they'd probably expect Menzel plus our compo pick (unfortunately as the compo pick has a floating value and we rarely finish bottom 4, even that doesn't have as huge trade value as it should, indeed we got way less for ablett than what we deserved, but anyway) or our compo plus our first rounder plus something else. Whether he's worth that is another matter, but no doubt that is what they'd ask for, no doubt.

Adelaide would want an awful lot more than that and Essendon would better it. Our first round pick is (hopefully) not going to be a good one. Dangerfield is, along with Fyfe, Christensen, Martin and Conca, one of the best young midfielders in the comp. They're not going to take an unproven 22yo and a pick in the late teens and nor should they.

Agree with all of this. I've been a huge Dangerfield fan since day one and no doubt Adelaide would see him as untouchable. They would definitely want a good young player (Varcoe, Christensen or Menzel) plus our compensation pick if a trade was to eventuate. It won't happen and no doubt a fresh young coach and improved on field performances at the Crows will only make him want to stay.

Agree with all of this. I've been a huge Dangerfield fan since day one and no doubt Adelaide would see him as untouchable. They would definitely want a good young player (Varcoe, Christensen or Menzel) plus our compensation pick if a trade was to eventuate. It won't happen and no doubt a fresh young coach and improved on field performances at the Crows will only make him want to stay.

Varcoe, christensen and Menzel.....all equally untouchable. Dangerfield played brilliantly last week...I wonder how he will go this week?

Any team would love to have Dangerfield. But the cost would be prohibitive.
Unless its on our terms at a price thats acceptable , we should just leave him be.

I agree with this, with a slight caveat that if he expresses a desire to move to Geelong we should at least attempt to get it done.

I think people are forgetting how good Menzel was looking before he got injured. Would not even swap Menzel for Dangerfield. Would want Danger and Adelaide's first round pick.

We are talking about a 19 year old who tore Collingwood to pieces and was our best player against Hawthorn in the QF last year until he went off injured. He is the best young player on our list.

Remove this Banner Ad

Patrick Dangerfield

Remove this Banner Ad

Back